Agnostic.com

24 3

Best fictional TV show that features Atheism?

My pick is season one of True Detective. Amazing writing and acting with an atheist

StLouisDave 3 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My first exposed to atheism on TV was Star Trek S2 E2 "Who Mourns For Adonais?" In this episode, it is made clear Scotty doesn't believe in God(s) I was shocked that a TV network would allow a protagonist character to be an atheist in the late 60s. Since then I have seen more exposure on the subject of Atheism. The most obvious ones include Family Guy, Bones, Young Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory, House, The Mentalist, Doc Martin (BBC), Community, Daria, and The Office. I'm sure I forget a few, but those are the ones I remember.

I absolutely love Who Mourns for Adonais? From ST TOS S2. There is a whole story about how Roddenberry fought against the studio over it. In the scene where Kirk says to Apollo "Mankind has no need of Gods" the studio made Kirk say something like "We find just one God sufficient". Over Roddenberry's head. Great episode. Later in ST series they added a lot of quasi religious crap, but in the TOS the vision was 23 C, no religion, science and reason and social equality. Hope you agree.

Hey, Paul-you just listed my favorite shows!

@David1955 I entirely do agree and I didn't know about the line substitution from "Mankind has no need of Gods" to "We find one God sufficient." It would have been such a powerful statement had CBS allowed that line to stay as it was written, but I have no doubt they would have lost sponsors had they done that.

@birdingnut Believe it or not I don't own a TV anymore. I got tired of TV and it feels great. I still watch shows but way fewer and they're only the shows I can find on the CBS website or Hulu.

@paul1967 Actually it was Paramount studios who took over Desilu a productions in 1967 and had production control. Roddenberry was always fighting with them. Sponsors were not the problem, but the Studio used to say "You'll offend all the people down South..." about issues of race and religion. Roddenberry would say "Well let them be offended!" Great guy. BTW, when Shatner uttered that line, knowing the story and Robbenberry's view, he throws the line away, says it quickly, which is great. Of my 3 favourite episodes of the TOS Adonais is one. It's not fancy in terms of production, but the themes are perfect.

@David1955 "Balance of Terror" S1 E15 is my all time favorite TOS. Mark Lenard (who also played Spock's father) was a great actor, and he set the bar far too high for any other actor playing a Romulan in TOS. John Colicos as Commander Kor did the best Klingon in TOS. Most of the others "villains" were too generic lacking substance and cunning.

@paul1967 Absolutely, Absolutely. The new guy playing younger Sarek in the new Discovery series is good, but he's no Mr Lenard. Lenard had great theatre actor charisma. Colicos was a splendid actor, and in my other fav episode Errand of Mercy in which he played I think the first Klingon. In those episodes Roddenberry hits great themes, that's why people note them. 🙂

Bones: The two lead characters were an open atheist and a Catholic. I liked the show, but I hated that the Catholic was more often portrayed as warm and compassionate while the atheist was more often emotionless and socially awkward.

The Orville: Seth McFarland's sci-fi Star Trek homage. The last episode of the first (and only, so far) season is a brilliant treatment of how religions begin in ignorance, develop by power, and fade into obscurity. The ship finds a time anomaly in which each time they visit a particular planet, 700 years have past on that planet. The first trip they accidentally engage a human, and the next time, they realize a religion has formed around them. In subsequent trips, the civilizations and the religion continue to grow..... until the end, which I won't spoil.

Under the Dome: A very strange phenomenon has affected a small town, and any character who tries to explain it with religion is portrayed as a bad character. The episode I watched last night was a pretty good show down between a religious nut and a scientist.

The Orville, last episode, loved it! Became a fan after that episode. Very Roddenberrian in theme. I really like the actress who plays Kelly. Gorgeous.

@Ligeia I spoke too soon about that scientist being the good character! Not only is she a bit of a Nazi (planning to kill the less useful members of the community) but in the scene I just watched, she said "everything happens for a reason." UG!

(editing to add that in the same episode she mischaracterizes Darwin and the idea of "survival of the fittest." I hope this character dies. Don't tell me! 😀 )

House and I loved his sarcasm..

Firefly

I keep hearing great things about Firefly, but I still haven’t seen it. I think it’s because I know there only one season, and I know that if I really like it, that will be a disappointment.

@carlyhorton there is a great movie too

@carlyhorton yes there is only one season, but it is better than none,as @Elatcha says, there is a movie, "Serenity" which is awesome. I made the mistake of seeing the movie first not knowing at the time there was a series that preceded it. But no matter, have watched both many times now.

Star Trek. Spock was anything but religious.

It is illogical, Captain...

Big Bang Theory and Scorpion. I don't even know if Scorpion is on anymore. TV often portrays highly intelligent people as atheist or agnostic. Hmmmmm, wonder if they figured something out.

Dr Who (modern)

MsAl Level 8 Jan 26, 2018

Shameless... There's not alot but almost every episode has a small hidden atheist message that is hilarious when you catch them. And that show is the shiznit!

Oh damn other show I would’ve put haha. That show is so fucking real.

I wasn't aware that there were any. Perhaps Star Trek, TOS, 1966-1969. Definitely atheist themes reflecting Roddenberry.

Many think Roddenbury was a Humanist. He certainly did a lot more about entertaining glimpses at the human condition than just questioning the existence of THE god.

@Mcflewster I understand Roddenberry was an atheist, or maybe agnostic, with a very negative view of religion. Yes and humanist. Saw a quote of his to the effect that humanity will only achieve its potential if we have a fair economic system, a just social justice, and reject religion. His ST TOS series reflected that in the 23C. I really agree with that view.

Scoby Dooby Do! They always proved ibwas some crazy guy and that monsters and ghosts were just made up

Big Bang Theory? I don't watch much tv lol.

I think the Simpsons is subtle with their crack at religion. It was great to see my sons watch the show almost religously (sic). They are now adult atheists. How rediculous is Ned Flanders?

My favorite is Dexter 🏝 No holds barred - it puts religion in it’s place on a regular basis... Must be why I own the entire 8 seasons on DVD!

Varn Level 8 Jan 26, 2018

You're right and Dexter was a great show in the beginning seasons...

@balou Season 6 demolished religion ~
[upload.wikimedia.org]

Don't watch tv.

How can I not mention: FireFly

House!

I don't watch any mainstream TV per se, but the Netflix series "Godless" has been pretty good so far. Frank Griffin's monologue in the third episode (I think) that gives the series its name is awesome.

I know this show isn’t really what your asking about. But I’ve been obsessed with the show Magicians of late. It’s features so much realism in feelings and strength of belief and fighting the common idea.

Shameless... There's not alot but almost every show has a small h

Re - TD. Wasn't he an existentialist? Solipsist?

I. House
2. Big Bang Theory
3. South Park

3rd Rock from the Sun! I though this was about the funniest show ever.

anything with men in foxholes, imo 🙂

The Big Bang Theory.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.