Agnostic.com

10 2

Why do psychics in TV and movies seem to always get nose bleeds? Wouldn't that be a symptom of a massive brain hemmorage? I have some medical training as an EMT, this seems deadly. "He thought so hard his brain exploded." That doesn't sound survivable to me. I get that it's fantasy, I just want to hear some theories as to why this would happen.

jayneonacobb 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seeing as it’s just a movie so maybe they’re just being more dynamic.

I spent 3 years among real psychics. TV does not depict them well. TV misses the point.

It's a plot device: a sign of activity, of struggle. They can't sh*t their pants, or wet themselves, that would be weird.

I had an acquaintance who got a nosebleed and died the same day

My mother had uncontrolled high blood pressure for years. When I was a child a blood vessel broke in her nose and she hemorrhaged, almost dying.

In other words, bleeding from your nose can be from other things other than a brain hemorrhage.

I've always interpreted the visual signs as the director trying to show something supernatural going on. It always seemed over the top fake to me.

Great point! By the time blood comes out the nose, the brain has to be mush! I’m also bothered by how easily people in movies and tv are knocked unconscious. Boxers give each other beatings and keep going, but Joe Schmo bonks his head on an open cabinet door and he’s out cold.

Or they hardly ever have concussion symptoms.

there are capillaries in the nasal cavity that are setups for rupture.Now blood coming out of your ears is sign of a basilar skull fracture. Frogs or toads can squirt blood out of their eyes . I havent pondered the meaning of that or tried it myself

There is nothing real about any of it. (IMHO)

It's just a silly movie trope, same as the one where someone on foot being followed by a car will invariably walk down the middle of the road, crime fighters chase criminals into dark warehouses in the middle of the night alone, without telling anyone, and usually leave their cell phones in the car, etc.

I love doing reverse engineering on fantastical concepts. A rapid increase in blood flow to the brain, resulting in burst capillaries in the nasal passage?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.