Agnostic.com

28 2

If you could get rid of any emotion, which one would it be?

I’ve found myself thinking about this several of times. I know life can totally suck and be cruel at times and all of us exsperience emotions that are not so nice. Yet I also know emotions are here for a reason. This had me wondering what life would be like without some of the bad emotions, especially sorrow because it hurts. Which emotion would you rid if you had the chance?

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jealousy and shame

Sacha Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

Jealousy.

Anger. I try to keep it out of my life. Every now and then it rears its ugly head.

you need sorrow as it makes you compassionate unless you want to be a serial killer.

That’s a good way to put it.

Anger. It causes so many other emotions and reactions.

Well, my first instinct was Fear...but that could actually save my life, and I'm sure it already has.

My second thought was sadness, but then again, many great works of Art wouldn't exist, including music..

Jealousy would be a contender I suppose, but it's really Anger that is the most dangerous.

I've been working on dissolving my anger for a long long time, over 20 years now. Although if I were in a group study, the finding would possibly show that I could fall into a category where I am rarely affected by this emotion, it's still there. I suppose there are a great deal of people who would defend the need for Anger, and cite many examples of its usefulness. But, to me, in my life, Anger serves no useful purpose. To me it just clouds the soul.

So - Anger

I had read what everyone said... Well, I am here for the whole experience of being human. I don't want to shortchange myself. That includes "fear". I think the dealio with emotions is how we handle them and move forward from them. I will get the whole package because I want to be a full vested human including negative aspects taught in our development. Leave me the way I am. Emotions had made me Strong.

My first thought was guilt, but then I realised that would make me a sociopath. I would go for jealousy instead

None. It's not the emotions, it's how we deal with them.

That’s a wise enough answer. I like it!

Jealousy, regret and annoyed.

Fear, sadness, or anger. All are limiting and unpleasant.

I agree! All of the above of what you just stated is 100% true.

Hatred.

I'm not sure that would be a good idea. All emotions are meant to give us feedback. I feel fear, that means there may an imminent threat to my survival or well being. I feel anger and know that my boundaries have been crossed. I feel shame (a supposed negative emotion) I know that I have violated my own values. I fee frustrated, I think that something "can happen," but it isn't happening fast enough or the way I wanted it to happen. When I feel hopelessness (for example, the death of a loved one), that emotion tells me that it's time to move on. It's not coming back.

What I would do instead is try to get better acquainted with my emotions, and learn how to use them rather than let them use me.

I will say Shame and greed

None of them. They all serve a purpose. The trick is learning what that purpose is.

Between fear and doubt? Not sure if doubt counts as an emotion, but I think fear pushes us.

I am a Vulcan, i have no emotions. Lol! Last time I got my heart broken I said that I will never let myself be that vulnerable again. Love hurts. I do not know if I want to get rid of it, but it is very hard for me to let someone get too close to me.

Anxiety!...Fear is part of anxiety I suppose. But i think we should have some fear. I used to fly but before i stop working I begine to fear heights.

We could do with the "anxiety" turning down a tad,meditation helps though.It is a rather pointless emotion ,if we could all "let go" a bit more we'd be a lot happier.

Anger. Unless properly applied.

Each one addresses an aspect of survival. The "good" ones are rewards for evolutionary beneficial activities or some-such. The "negative" ones are signals to some deficit that must be addressed. To rid one's self of any of these is like putting electrical tape over your engine alert light on your dashboard and driving anyways. That being said, I think the most troublesome emotions fall in the predatory spectrum when the need to achieve supersedes the well-being of those "in the way". We can do with a lot less of that.

None... Without contrast, the opposite emotion wouldn't mean as much ( if anything at all ).

FEAR and ANGER - The part of the brain that controls our 'survival instinct' (the amygdala) is still geared toward surviving in a primitive environment. Our evolution has not yet caught up with our technological advancement, we are still looking for lions, bears, and tigers in the shadows. There is a popular test to prove this. Take a picture of any 'peaceful' scene, put a rattlesnake in it anywhere, then show the picture to a friend and ask them what is the FIRST thing they see, it will usually be the snake.

Shame, embarrassment, and guilt.Those things have never inspired me to do anything worthwhile.

As I was thinking on this I read the other answers. I've come to the conclusion that we shouldn't rid ourselves of any emotion entirely, but learn how to channel & control the ones we have. I have to agree that we have our emotions for certain reasons, even if just to appreciate the opposite at times, & doing without them may leave us lacking. We just should not let emotion cloud our judgment or control our actions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18619
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.