Agnostic.com

34 8

Can't stand constantly barking, hyper little dogs

All dog owners need to train their dogs to behave. One Welsh Corgi kept jumping up on me, gouging long, bloody scratches on my bare shins.

"DOWN, dammit!" I said. "She's just saying hi," the owner said lamely.

"She's a herding dog," men say. These dogs stop abruptly in front of me, making me trip. Several times, I nearly fell off a cliff.

I broke up with two men because of their constantly barking, out-of-control little dogs. Both men insisted on taking the dogs hiking. Their dogs fouled waterways with poop, chased and harassed wildlife, and scared other hikers.

During a backpacking trip to the Wallowa Mountains of NE Oregon, one man's Welsh Corgi barked at every leaf that fell. It stopped in front of me, frequently tripping me. Finally, I insisted he tie the dog to his belt with a rope. (He had no leash.) Watched with amusement as it jerked him all over the trail.

I dropped far behind to get away from the constant, shrill barking. Blissful quiet.

That night, he insisted the dog sleep in the tent. All night long, that dog barked at every snap and crackle in the woods, every leaf that fell. I got zero sleep. By morning, I had a plan: kill him and then the dog. But he had the map and knew the way, so he was safe. (kidding)

"She likes your smell,” people say. Stop making excuses. Keep your dogs off my pillow and away from my clothes.

I grew up with two large, gentle, obedient Labrador Retrievers. Lady won the Michigan State Dog Obedience Championship twice. Our dogs were never allowed on furniture. We told Lady "down, stay" and she stayed down until released.

Attacked and Injured by eight dogs

While hiking and snowshoeing, I have been attacked and injured by eight unleashed dogs. None of the dog owners apologized. It took six months for my knee to heal after one dog attack.

Now I feel terrified of strange dogs on the trail.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I detest yappers, but am not afraid of them.I can remember a yapper that would bark constantly in the middle of the night. To get sleep, I would have to get up and throw handfuls of pebbles at him until he slunk away. I like animals, but felt no shame or guilt at silencing that dog.

When the dog raises to put its front paws on you step lightly on their back feet. Won't take long until they get the point. You do not have to hurt the dog.

I have three large dogs and one medium one. Two get walked without muzzles and two get muzzles, I put muzzles on them because I don't trust them not to bite. Those two are extremely protective and have acted aggressively at home to some people. I am simply not taking a chance that someone or some child will get bitten, I walk those two at night when less people are around.

I have only been attacked once, chihuahua that shredded a pants leg, i was watching the doberman. Agree with the yipping, no dog needs to do that! If i ever get a pet and that's not likely it will be an alley cat.

BillF Level 7 Sep 24, 2018

I can't stand little yappers either. The good thing about living where I live is that the eagles and hawks use them and cats as snacks. I am with you... I'll eventually get a large black lab or maybe a chocolate. They obey and are friendly. Plus they love the water!

I totally agree about little dogs. Since the death of my beautiful 75 pound hound mix (who never jumped on anyone) people have been encouraging me to get a small dog since supposedly it would be easier to handle. All I remember is that almost all the times we were attacked on walks (I don't go hiking) it was by little, yappy dogs. I had a firm plan that if one of them got serious I would simply kick in its ribs unless an owner showed up pretty quickly. It seems to me that too many of the little ones have a Napoleon complex. And absolutely no idea how little and vulnerable they are. And I agree that many dog owners assume you'll think that little Trixie is just as adorable as they do. I have never assumed that about an animal or my child. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the rest of us beholders are not charmed by uncontrolled little mammals.

There are nice smaller breeds out there you just have to do your homework(I'm always wondering if I'll ever get an "old lady time dog" ). Much of the problem lies in the owners giving leeway to small dogs and not even attempting to train them as is expected of a larger breed.

@Qualia I've been doing a lot of reading and I just don't like little ones. My ideal dogs would be a Great Dane or an Irish Wolfhound. At least I'm aware enough to realize they're out of the question.

Too many people are stupid with their dogs, and little dog owners can be the worst, allowing nasty tempered animals to get away with things that would immediately have a larger breed PTS. Those dogs need to be culled from breeding programs but they continue because they're little...

I'm sorry that happened to you and don't blame you for being very concerned about strange dogs. Too many people think because their dogs are livable to them that they're going to be ok with strangers. There's no shortage of people who can't read their own danged dogs, and some breeds are harder to read and manage than others. This is why genetics are important along with a minimum of care on the owners part.

And your story about the corgi. I always thought they were such cute dogs but they're not as easy going as I imagined them to be. They can also rub other dogs the wrong way. I was designated a co owner on a female doberman because she had had enough of a corgi she was living with and deigned to dispatch it in short order. The owner failed the doberman and the corgi, expecting her girl to put up with the nonsense the corgi was dishing out. So take heart the idiot owner is on borrowed time if they don't change their ways with their dog & it gets in the way of the wrong creature.

There is a book that I feel would benefit all of society if a program was based off it from elementary school. That is Turiid Rugass' "On talking terms with dogs, Calming signals". It's a very simple, short read and could spare many bites and even lives. Anyone serious about dog ownership should read that book at least once.

I'll readily admit my dogs aren't obedience stars when out & about, so I manage them. We do not go to dog parks. They aren't allowed to run loose save for enclosed areas, and they are put away in crates when company comes over unless agreed upon in advance. They don't jump on people but can be a PITA feeding off one another at first.

@maturin1919

Hiking with well trained dogs on leashes is a pleasure. There is too much that can go badly with dogs running loose in the wilderness to let them roam off leash though.

JimG Level 8 Sep 24, 2018

Buy some bear mace. That'll teach both dog and bad dog owners

@joemf86

When a strange dog approaches, I vigorously swing my hiking poles, crossing them at my feet. Dogs back off.

My hiking partner, Karen, carries bear spray. Wind is a problem with aerosol sprays. You don't want to be downwind of the spray.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186222
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.