Agnostic.com

55 8

What do you give instead of thoughts and prayers?

Thoughts and prayers are useless, to an atheist. and I have learned I may have MS. What do I get instead? 😮)

ravnostic 6 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say: You are in my heart. How can I help?

What do I give instead of thoughts and prayers?

Actual help.

If realistically practical, actual help...

I try and give understanding, of how the person is feeling and that they may be emotional etc

Ears. People who are willing to hear your unvarnished truth.

skado Level 9 Jan 27, 2018

Positive energy, as in refreshing, or as in healing energy. I am an empath. I did not know that word until later in my life. Being an empath is not something you ask for. you just are. The concerns for empaths is not knwing what they can or cannot do with the gift. There is also the realization all people should know. People can drain your energy leaving you tired, worn out, depressed, and just zapped. People don't always realize they are being drained. That is the first thing you must learn. if you are with a few people and someone turns very negative about absolutely everything, my advice is to excuse yourself to get some air, go bathroom, or something. Then leave the group. Go be alone. Practice breathing that fills your lungs with oxygen. Also you can meditate on your chakras. Get them to remove all negative energy. If you are doing it right, you will feel it leaving your body and replacing your lungs with good oygen. When you feel better, remember to create an invisible shield. Stop people from draining you. You must be aware of the sickness of others. You want to give them healing energy, but you do not want their disease. That takes a while to learn. I often send healing energy prayers from a distance. They get the energy and you have a lot more protection. Being a empath is a long subject, but it is what I do to help others. Not soliciting, lol.

@BettyColeman Where do I start? You have made a number of claims that I find difficult to believe and would like to know how you can back up these claims with evidence. Positive energy I can sort of understand in a motivational sense as NLP and other talking therapies can have the same effect, but how do you measure healing energy? You then contradict yourself by saying the way to deal with negative people is to run away? What happens to your positive energy then? Can it not combat negative attitudes? What evidence do you have that your healing prayers work, because all the research into prayer shows that there is no difference in its effectiveness than you would find with chance? You do also realise that James Randy has a substantial prize available to anyone who can prove that they are a genuine faith healer?

Please understand that this is not written to belittle you in any way, but I am genuinely interested to know if you can substantiate your claims.

I’m not really sure, but I really abhor that useless expression every time I hear it. It is absolutely meaningless drivel.

I just offer consoling words, help, a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, being a good friend, things that can actually make a difference.

That's a very hard one. I grew up on "prayers". A couple of years ago I visited a couple where the wife was dying of cancer. I found I had nothing to offer other than my presence. I really do not know what to say.

I think being present is very valuable.

If I can give some kind of practical help, that is what I do. If that is not possible, I send cards or letters. I make phone calls to offer emotional support.

SKH78 Level 8 Jan 27, 2018

I give money and offer assistance for property losses and other personal tragedies . If they are not needed then condolences. I usually write small story about a person when it is a death that helps the survivor understand what their loved one meant to me.

That is really nice, Dwight. 🙂

I try to do something similar, along the lines of "I hope the memories of your time with so-and-so and the support of your family and friends are helpful in sustaining you during this difficult time" or similar.

I still offer thoughts, sometimes there is a solution there.

I make specific offers to help such as if you need a ride call me; if you need company, let me know; babysitting etc.

Healing thoughts and energy which I'm sending you in abundance. I really hope you don't have MS and are fully recovered soon.

@fanburger prove it.

life's not fair but just be positive as your mind is a powerful thing.

Leigh, are you responding directly to ravnostic?

In other situations where most people say "I'm praying for you...", would you say that to somebody -- say somebody whose daughter just died?

in that instance, i would just say sorry for your loss BlueWave. i lost a sister just under a year ago

I give them my time.

Advice, assistance, money, a sympathetic ear... stuff that actually helps!

Be a friend.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

Support, time, energy, money, you know, stuff that actually helps.

My charities are Foundation Beyond Belief and Doctors Without Borders. If I am in a position to give my personal self to assist in any way I can, I will participate in any way I can. I have empathy and compassion for my fellow humans who share this planet together.

I heard you, and it has to be scary knowing you might have MS. I hope you have some supportive people around and can keep some peace of mind. Best wishes in dealing with it.

Similar to what others before me have said...I think "thoughts" are a valid method of showing one's support. And receiving a message like "I'm thinking of you" or "You are in my thoughts", does produce the "warm and fuzzies" - which can't be anything but a positive. After all, placebos have been scientifically proven to work.

Although the "warm and fuzzies" will never cure MS, the positive vibe from that feeling will help with general health and mental stability.

However, prayers without action are meaningless.

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. Had a poor internet connection that I refreshed my browser and started my comment over.

this site echoes sometimes

Peace and tender thoughts to someone who has suffered a loss.

Compassion. Wishful thinking (prayers) do absolutely nothing whereas compassion is demonstrated

what works for you when there is great distance?

@btroje what do you mean? What does distance have to do with thoughts and prayers? They are as equally ineffective when you’re in close proximity.

@CRIGBY put a little thought to it dear.I am sure you can think of something

@btroje judging by your PM to me, you’re clearly triggered. ? you have a great day

you ask a question that is difficult for anyone regardless of their stance on god or religion.Usually there are no words and I am responding to you as someone at a distance so acts are not a possibility. I would like to ask you as a person in your position what you would want that might make a difference to you?@ravnostic

I do have support. More of a hypothetical question to see what the larger agnostic (etc) community here does. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of responses I'm seeing, I must say.

@ravnostic what do people do or say that seems the most supportive to you?

Just that there there for me and let them know if I need anything. Then we all sit around and bitch about getting older together lolz. Everyone's got something.

@ravnostic so when I say you are in my thoughts to someone that is like hanging with them but long distance style

@btroje Yar, I guess so. It just seems so trite and overused these days, with them going out after every tragedy without any changes to prevent further tragedies. Perhaps it means more coming from someone you know.

@ravnostic yes the comment after say the mass shootings is a different issue and is bs in that context

I usually just tell people I’m thinking about them and if they need anything just let me know.

Sympathy. Understanding & empathy. Concrete help.

BTW, Anthony Jeselnik (sp) has a Netflix special titled "Thoughts & Prayers". It's not for the faint-hearted, but it is hilarious!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.