Agnostic.com

2 1

Pick me, Monty, I'm a turnip...

phxbillcee 10 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm familiar with this problem, I know what the correct answer is supposed to be, I know it will work out on an experimental basis. However, there's a step missing. It's called "forcing the deck." The actual Monty Hall may be trying to get you to NOT get a car (if the show has given way too many cars that month) or trying to get you the car (if they haven't given away enough. In order to answer the actual Monty Hall problem, we would have to examine each show one after the other and see if there is a pattern of which other door he opens, or if there is some consistent body language or change in vocalization.

That may influence whether Monty offers to let the person change their mind or not, but not in the actual odds of picking the door. As long as you can't "stack the deck" by changing what was already there, Monty actually has no effect on the outcome.

Pretty cool. Thanks.

skado Level 9 Jan 27, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18710
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.