Agnostic.com

7 2

Do any of you all volunteer?

If so, what do you do? Or what would you like to do if you don't volunteer already?

iexist 3 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Until I got a bit too old to travel a lot by car I volunteered at a mental health wellbeing centre in Derry called 'Mind Yourself! Foyle Advocates'' I also collect for charity by doing peoples washing for money, in the independent living scheme that I live in - When I get to £100.00 I send it to Age N.I an underfunded organisation that helps older people . I was also the Artist in Residence in the year of the Artist and was in the largest borough - so kept very busy - I like being very active but at present feeling myself slowing down an awful lot, especially in the late afternoons .

I volunteer 3-4 days a week. I help at immunization clinics for underserved communities, women’s shelter, at both of my sons schools.

Yup, I'm the outdoor landscaper and building maintenance for the UU fellowship i belong to. Right now I'm in the middle of painting the building. Also am President of the local landowners association, we have parties!!! keeps me out of the bars, haha.

As I've gotten older I've shifted to doing less volunteering and more philanthropy. I still do some work for a local food bank and volunteer here and there when asked. I spent last Saturday volunteering at Archeology Day at a local indian mound archeological site.

I used to, but not any more.

I've been volunteering, on and off, for the last ten years at local pantries, unloading trucks, and handing out food.

At age 21, I began volunteering to help people in need.

Since 2006 as a volunteer, I have been helping low income, first generation students write essays for college entry and scholarships. One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016.

I teach students writing and organizational skills, and the importance of completing work before the deadline.

With three young women I mentored, I hiked Icicle Gorge trail near Leavenworth for four miles last June.

From the left, Elisabeth and Tammy plan to become medical doctors. Teresa is studying to become an accountant. All are first-generation students.

These are remarkable young women. It was great to see them!

In May 2018, I received the first Scholarship Rockstar award from the Wenatchee High School College Mentor Program. In the third photo, I'm second from the left with other college mentors who won awards.

@iexist

Thank you!

"I want you to know what a huge difference you made in my life," Elizabeth told me during our hike. Elizabeth is third from the left in the photo.

"I never would have gone to college if you hadn't helped me," Elizabeth said. "My parents knew nothing about applying for college and scholarships, and neither did I."

Elisabeth just graduated from Gonzaga University, WA. She graduated without any loans. Renewable scholarships, financial aid and work-study covered tuition, books and lodging for her bachelor degree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:187269
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.