Agnostic.com

12 2

I hate those people who keep telling me to "live in the now." How could I live in the now when everything I see has already happened?

When I look out across the room, I see things as they were 10 to 20 billionths of a second ago; When I look across the Grand Canyon, I see the other side as it was about one ten-thousandth of a second ago; When I look at the moon, I see it as it was a second and a half ago; When I look at the sun, I see it as it was about eight minutes ago; And when I look out at the stars visible to the naked eye, I see them as they were roughly 10 thousand years ago.

So you tell me: Where's NOW?

Benthoven 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This just makes me think of the movie Spaceballs. "You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now."

Yes, but you're seeing it now. Enjoy what you're seeing/doing/experiencing. That's really all there is to it. I am constantly amazed at my brain's ability to be somewhere else while I should be enjoying my breakfast or my walk or whatever. It takes work to pull back to where I actually am instead of worrying about tomorrow's work or yesterday's argument.

This why I love riding my Harley. When I am riding it is in the now. I experience everything second by second. I am sure because if I was in bad mood, or had something bothering me before the ride, I have a new perception after the ride. And I wasn't thinking about anything but the ride.

I think LSD does the same thing chemically🙂

LMAO no such thing as 'now'
Just enjoy the moment you are currently experiencing.

I used to think like that, and 'bout near drove myself crazy.

depends on when you are.

It sounds like you are being too literal. Living in the now means two things: don't get caught in destructive patterns originating from past trauma, and don't worry about the future so much that you can't enjoy the present. Although plannng for the future is important sometimes people "what if" themselves into an unnecessary state of anxiety.

Now your 'splitting hairs' 😛 The philosopher Alan Watts taught the concept very well . And reading many of the comments below this concept is clearly understood.

Realizing that all you see is the past is the central quality of "living in the now". If you live in the past, it's even getting worse, isn't it?

Gert Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

Good one. Physics lesson for the masses.

It's about consciousness rather than temporality. It's a trip and worth pursuing imho. I've been making the attempt for a couple of years now. There's quite a bit of research that indicates there's something to it but of course your mileage may vary. "10% Happier" by Dan Harris is an entertaining read and a good introduction to the notion. I'd recommend his podcast as well. "Waking Up" by Sam Harris is a trip and gets more into the neuroscience of it. It helped me dig out of a pretty deep pit of depression and also through the end of my marriage. All anecdotal of course. For what it's worth, I had a pretty similar take on the notion of being "in the moment" that you describe a few years ago.

I've also been practicing what I call "mindfulness"; same notion as being present, for a couple years now and it has paid off for me in greatly reduced frustration. Such simple things a misplacing my keys, glasses, wallet, etc., have virtually disappeared from my life. I remember things better, don't break things anymore, and when I go into another room, I no longer forget what I went in there for. Pretty much all those simple, petty little failings have gone away because when I do things now, I do them with awareness and intent. Another aspect to all that is never being rushed or in a hurry. You'd be surprised how that alone can make your life so much easier. I know this stuff works because, as I said, my life has become so much easier since I earnestly began to focus on this effort. And the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

@Condor5 Does it work if your over 60😉

@Leutrelle I'm 68, so, yes it works quite well for me. But it's not just thinking, "Hey, I'd like to do that." One needs to be very, very mindful of everything one does. For instance, learning to leave your keys in the same place all the time, then if/when you do set them down in an unusual spot, you make a mental note as you do it, "OK, I'm setting my keys here instead of my usual spot. I need to remember this." Likewise, when you are walking around doing stuff, be aware of your surroundings, that you are "distracted" by thought and may miss things you need to pay attention to. You'll be surprised what the effects may be.

@Condor5 I am with you on putting things in their proper place. I just moved, so I am still in the organization phase. My wife is another story. She doesn't see the need to have specific place for many items. Ying & Yang

@Leutrelle perhaps you can appeal to her nurturing side and tell her it makes things easier for you.

I think they mean Live in the Moment. Be here, be present, be attentive. Don't live for the future, it isn't guaranteed, and if you live in the past you don't make progress.

Good explanation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18789
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.