Agnostic.com

5 5

QUESTION Cool Things You Didn't Know About Circadian Rhythm

Circadian rhythm is the internal clock that makes us feel tired at nighttime and awake during the day. The circadian rhythm is an extremely intricate mechanism, with an internal control system that responds to external signals.

Despite its complexity, scientists think that circadian rhythm is one of life's most primitive adaptations. All living things have circadian rhythms, including animals of all sizes, plants, and even fungi and bacteria.

This list is full of circadian rhythm facts that should make you realize how important it is that you stay faithful to your circadian clock. This internal "clock" regulates more than just sleep - we rely on circadian rhythm to regulate metabolism, insulin and glucose levels, hormone production, core body temperature, brain wave activity, and cell regeneration. Almost all of our biological processes can be tied back to circadian rhythm, and messing with these biological rhythms can lead to serious health issues.

So read on to learn about what your circadian clock does, and how to keep it working properly - it can truly be a matter of life or death.

AlasBabylon 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My circadian rhythm left with the circus. I live in a wonderful 3 on 3 off rotation.

Well fuck. What am I supposed to do being a natural nightowl that has to "adulty task" during the day thus forcing myself to be on a 24/7 rotating schedule?

I'm in the middle of a twelve hour swing shift rotation. On nights as I write this. I wish my circadian rhythm had such good timing as your post 😉

I used to work 12 hours shifts, both days and nights, and rotating 8 hour shifts. No wonder my sleep cycle is so messed up.

lol 🙂 bears repeating I guess 🙂

Uh...i blame sleep deprivation.

My circadian rhythms are so messed up. I know it is killing me, but I figure I can sleep when I'm dead.

There's a Edgar Allen Poe quote that goes something like "sleep those little slices of death, how I loathe them." I thought that was profound in my younger days but now I think he was full of shit.

@Fearlessfreep I really like sleep, especially since I've been getting older 🙂

@MST3K I like sleep, it just doesn't like me as much. Stress, cats and age are sleep killers. The cats are at least amusing when it happens.

@HippieChick58 I often have trouble falling asleep due to worrying or simply not being able to get my mind turned off.

@MST3K Yes!! All the worse case scenarios run through my mind. I've had some nights where nothing turns my mind off, and I've learned that caffeine can keep me human and humane until 5:00 pm.

What were you doing? was it harmful work as well?

@jacpod I work in short term disability claims, and have frequent anxiety. Lots of room for errors to be made. We deal with people who have had close encounters with the medical system/can't work and we control their replacement income. No stress there. 78% of American live paycheck to paycheck, anything that delays a paycheck can be a crisis.

@HippieChick58 its bad here too as we are moving over from disability to pension credit and some people simply have no money for 6 weeks no one seems to have thought through how the system is going to work and they are telling people who are severely disabled that they are fit for work - It seems seriously cruel there are so many cases where people have died before their claim is settled - Never knew that a government could be so awful to its own people.

In college I read a study where they puta bunch of guys in a house with no cues about the time - no daylight, no tv, no clocks. They ended up on a 25 hour cycle. No wonder the day feels like it doesn’t have enough hours!

I was watching for this comment, I too have come across the 25 hour body clock. I have friends who work deep underground. It is good to know and understand, and can sort out jet lag by spending an hour in the sun in the middle of the day at your destination.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18798
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.