Agnostic.com

38 14

How do you move from cheerfully flirting to being vulnerable?

As a cheerful, born flirt, my rationale is: "Why not leave people feeling a bit bucked up and perky?" I can flirt with anybody: men, women, teenagers, babies, grandparents, dogs, customer service representatives on the phone. It comes from an almost demented joy in being alive.

It’s fun to be in a momentary, twinkly conspiracy ("I like you, and you like me" ), laughing and talking together.

As men know, it is hard to move from lightly flirting to seizing the moment and being vulnerable.

It doesn’t help that my married hiking partner, Karen, critiques my comments to men afterwards. “Oh, Kathleen! I can’t believe you said that."

Occasionally, I run across a fit man my age who is hiking alone. Two years ago, while snowshoeing, a man took a shine to me. With an Italian accent, he was charming. I flirted as hard as I could. But did I set down my pack in the snow, dig out paper and pen, and give him my name and phone number? No. I didn't want to get my pack wet.

“You’ll run into him again,” Karen said consolingly. Fat chance. The chance of our converging on the same trail is miniscule.

A month ago, a handsome, older man – who climbed Mission Peak behind us- stopped his car at the trail head to chat with me. He focused on me, not the other women. Did I ask:

“Are you married?” - or even-

“Why are you hiking alone?”

Then I watched him drive away, kicking myself. I was wearing gloves; he couldn't see if I had a wedding ring.

I regret not being more forward with these two men.

What stops me is handsome, fit, middle aged men are usually married.

Perhaps I should have small cards printed with my name and phone number, like calling cards. I can carry a few in my pocket while hiking. Suave.

I'm bad about not carrying my phone while hiking. Too heavy. My hiking partners always carry phones. This bit me in the butt once, when Karen and I got separated on the trail.

Your thoughts? Do you have any suggestions?

p.s. Thank you @travelerx2 . Great idea!

Just clipped a pen to my hiking hat-band like old reporters, and pinned a folded piece of paper under the perky bow in the back.

Problem solved. Now I need to be more forward.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A late friend who was an author once showed me a drawer full of rejection slips from publishers. He said: " I do not give up because my book was rejected, I keep on sending in my manuscript and sooner or later some publisher will want to print it. All I need is one."

Could always write your name and number on the inside flap of your pack and flash them with it.

I am a full-figured man, but fit. No wedding ring, either. Here I am laughing it up at something or other at Snowy Range in Wyoming last summer.

@GuyKeith

This is one of the reasons why I have a massive crush on you. 🙂

@LiterateHiker Now that's being more forward 🙂 Alas, I'm not really on the market now, not because of any relationship, but more out of just sheer inertia than anything else. I appreciate it, I'm really flattered.

@LetzGetReal There is no need for all this. If you want to get acquainted, why don't you just say so?

@LetzGetReal Another victim claimed. It's a movie quote. I use them all the time to get into trouble.

@LetzGetReal Actually, my eyes are one of my better features. That, and my legs.

Memory weighs nothing. Tell him your number. It's his job to keep up with it. If he's genuinely interested he'll put his pack in the snow, while you move efficiently on up the trail. Or set up an email account with an easy to remember name, so he doesn't even have to write it down. Hi, I'm greenfriedtomatoes@blahblah, etc.

skado Level 9 Sep 27, 2018

You're right. My email is: hiker optimist @....

Easy to remember, I hope.

@LiterateHiker
There ya go. That oughtta work!

my dad had cards that said something like hi my names .... i like chatting arguing drinking etc then his landline number he hated mobiles i lost count of the number of women i met at his house. His rational was women may feel uncomfortable giving their number and they can easily throw away the card later and it only cost him a few quid to get 100 printed

sex...lots of it

However at that early of a stage why do you care about the rejection...I mean the only vulnerability at that point. Chances are you may not see them again unless you carpe diem.
Risk reward equation only you can solve for you?

Thank you, @travelerx2

Great idea! I just attached a pen to my hiking hat brim, and pinned a folded piece of paper under the scarf bow in the back.

@LetzGetReal

Thank you! Karen took this photo on a hike to Twin Lakes. I love the curving Cedar branch.

Have cards printed that say 'International Woman of Mystery'.

MrBeezeebubble

Very funny! Great username.

@LiterateHiker thanks!

I don't know the solution to this problem so when you figure it out could you please let me know

Thanks to @travelerx2 ...

I just attached a pen to my hiking hat brim, and pinned a folded piece of paper under the scarf bow in the back.

@LiterateHiker yeah the second Part's the part that's going to be hard for me

Done the same on the guy side. No real regrets, just wistful what if's to bring a smile around. Try putting pen and paper in your hat ala old reporter style.

@travelerx2

Great idea! I'll do it.

A phone weighs, what, 3 oz? "Too heavy" even though it could save your life, never mind get numbers...really?

@AnneWimsey

Are you a hiker? When hiking, every ounce counts. Karen is always telling me to reduce my pack weight.

Unlike others, I have to carry extra clothes. I am a small, heat-producing ectomorph. With high exertion, my shirt gets soaked with sweat. With a wet core, I get deeply chilled and hypothermic. So, now I change my clothes at the top. Every single time.

My pack is full and heavy with extra water and food, clothes, headlamp, survival gear, down jacket, raincoat, first aid kit, etc. It's heavier in the winter.

The test of my day pack is: "Can I survive in the mountains overnight if I get injured or lost?"

Not to mention just getting away from the electronics is quite relaxing. In the NW one isn't likely getting signal on most hikes anyway.

@Deanervin

Exactly.

@Deanervin you can enter a contact without reception...

@Minta79 of course

If you don't need a smart phone get an aftermarket samsung verizon juke. They're not much larger than a lighter. Very zoolander, wonderful little phone. I miss mine. I've a new cherry red one but caved to the "smart phone" vortex ?
I've no words of wisdom on these situations because I'd do the same thing you just described. 😟

Flirting is so difficult. Especillay with all the varied hangups & attitudes people have regarding propriety, monogamy, age, sexual orientation and on and on and on.

I'm naturally very flirty because I enjoy that type of interaction with women who reciprocate. It adds a spark. As a guy I feel I pretty much have to rein it in at all times though, lest I be labeled a letch. I don't know if that's different for woman?

@MiltsterD

In doesn't help that I have female, married hiking partners who:

1. Want to hurry up and get going; and

2. Are a critical audience during my interactions with men.

Cringe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:188394
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.