Agnostic.com

19 2

Do you find it hard to be friends with someone who is a over 25, but has the mentality of a 13-year-old?

When I moved, I was introduced to a 27-year-old, sweet, innocent women/girl. I then became her friend. We got along nicely. We still do. I soon realized what level she was functioning at. I tried to teach her common sense and how to do things by yourself. I ended up in the position of having to basically baby-sit . I was getting frustrated over time. She wasn't allowed to walk out of our building alone. Only with someone else. She also had to text her mom when she left, where she was going, and when she returned. Since I am the one with a job, I ended up having to pay for both of us if I wanted to go to Dutch Bros. She only gets $20 a week from her mom. I'm not one to order coffee and drink it in front of someone who doesn't have any coffee. She cries when you are assertive with her, or giving constructive criticism. Her mom won't allow her to have a job. It's quite obvious why. I found that giving my advice didn't help. She took it as me being mean. Then would go cry to staff here about how mean I am. She took what she wanted to from what I said. Which I never said it how she said I did. Now I am just friends with her when I see her for meals or in the hallways. I feel like I wasn't a good enough friend to her and I could not help her in ways she needed. I did try to help her out if she needed it. I also felt like I had too many responsibilities as just being her friend. I find it really hard to deal with immaturity from adults. It's the same with a lot of younger adults here. I tend to keep to myself and talk to the elderly women. Maybe I gave up too soon? It was from August 2017- November 2017. I find it really hard to relate to people younger than me. Most of my friends are a lot older than me. A lot of the time I'm teaching my older friends new things, and they are teach me new things. They have more experience under their belts about things. Sometimes another way to view things helps me out a lot. I keep an open mind most of the time. Sometimes I tend to let my emotions get in the way of logical thinking. I also tend to over-analyze things to the point where I worry myself to death. I do have anxiety and I'm alone at night just thinking a lot. I don't even know what age level I'm functioning at? I'm about to be 30 next month. Any ideas of what I can do to help her better?

Sarahroo29 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sometimes helping someone is just enabling them. Her mother sounds like that she has emotionally hijacked her. Now on that note does she have a learning or emotional disability? Or has she just been really sheltered?

Looking at the comments now. The fact that she is autistic is extremely relevant here. She probably is truly limited In her capacity to manage some of the issues. It also adds a layer of complexity to parenting. Parents feel their child is not ready and so they don’t push kids to take on responsibilities that they actually could manage.
You might choose to act as a friend/mentor but this would not be an equal or fulfilling romantic relationship.

Oh dear. Unless she is intellectually/ developmentally disabled, it sounds like she is a physical adult whose parents prevented her from developing into a functional adult. This is all too common these days. Parents trying to prevent their child from ever encountering any risk or danger, consequently prevent kids from solving problems, negotiating conflicts, and otherwise learning all of the skills we need to function in the adult world. My parenting philosophy was that my job was to prepare my son to be a happy, successful adult. He is now (surprise!) a responsible, independent young man.

It is very possible the young lady has a form of autism. I have a friend whose grown step son has Asbergers and can not function on an adult level in the real world.

She does have autism. So do her friends.

@Sarahroo29 It would explain a lot. Autustic individuals have trouble dealing in an adult mature way. Still many can be taught to function on some level. Her mother probably thinks she is protecting her daughter but there will come a day when she is no longer there to do so.

@misstuffy I fully agree. People with mental illnesses (comorbidities as well) need a parent's help. Some parents assume they are helping by doing it all for them. It's actually enabling them. My mom taught me how to think for myself and how to do things for myself, before she died. I was 18 years old then. My dad wasn't in my life either. I learned how to do my own stuff by myself. I do have a legal guardian, but she just manages my bills and finances. I do whatever I want whenever I want. I wasn't babied as a child. I did grow up in a Xian home though. I do live in the assisted living center as well, but I do my own cleaning (they have to clean our bathrooms though, mine is very clean) in my room (OCD over here), food buying, laundry, etc... Basically I am independent and don't need the help they offer. I'm just stuck living here. My aunt won't let me get my own apartment. She convinced the courts not to ever let me live on my own. Oh well.

@Sarahroo29 You are over 18 and can request an evaluation to terminate that situation if you so choose. Sounds like you could maybe live out on our own.

@misstuffy I totally could, but she is my only family member in CO. If I fought for my own guardianship again, (she forced guardianship over me right after I got out of the psych ward from my ex's abuse. I was too weak to say NO) I would not have any family at all. I think family is more important rn.

@Sarahroo29 Family is who you choose it to be. Blood does not mean they have your best interest at heart and the fact that she forced this on you is not good. I for one would not worry about losing someone who decides to force their will on me and then never let go when circumstances change.

@misstuffy True. I was adopted. I don't want to be left alone forever.

I had trouble with 13 year olds acting 13. The condition has not improved.

It sounds like she should be receiving SILS services. Do you know her mother? Is this young women her own legal guardian do you know? She needs help, this is not her fault, nor is it your responsibility to help her. But if you feel you can help her get connected with the services she needs you'd be doing her a huge favor. I don't know where you live but your county would have resources for her. In MN she would be receiving help living on her own and a staff person to follow up with her as often as the need is determined. People with Intellectual Disabilities aren't any different than us they want to be accepted too. By expecting more than they are able to do helps no one and usually just makes them feel worse about things they can't change. I work in SILS with Volunteers of America and I also an the Head of Delegation for our local Special Olympics. If we disregard our neighbors and not help where we can we aren't doing our part for our community. You don't need to be her friend and you are maybe not able to meet her needs but maybe there is something you can do to help her get help. The Golden Rule works well in all situations!

Her mother is her legal guardian. She's in an assisted living place.

I think there in lies the answer, packaging skews the thinking process. She is a child, developmentally challenged and apparently can never be a companion in any sense. It was nice of you to try and help her but you can never be anything more than a babysitter. Be nice when you see her but I think she needs more help than you can or want to give. Just my opinion.

Thanks.

I just can't with those people. It's not my job to "fix" anyone. Once someone is an adult, it's on them to sink or swim. Some people need to grow the fuck up already.

Yep.

I dated someone once that was living in the 19th century. I said "once".

Once. Good.

There is a difference between someone who won't and someone that can't "grow the fuck up already" because their minds are not properly wired to do so. They deserve our compassion, not our disdain.

@misstuffy since you are eager for the facts... the facts were she was a xian living in the past according her religion because really all this compassionate world you mentioned do not exist so I removed myself from her existence with all the disdain I was entitled to. I don't deal with children, I deal with grown women. I don't see you looking for xians in this site, I hope.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Everything about that original post pointed to this woman having issues such as autism. Her mother controls everything and she is in a home, It is that post I was referencing, not your previous love life.

@misstuffy Okay, I Stand by my Love Life. If I ever need compassion I will go to the church around the corner.

@GipsyOfNewSpain We each have to walk our own paths in life. You are an adult of sound mind and body. I wish you well.

@misstuffy Okay.

You can help her by not "helping". Also she sounds a bit manipulative. Women are just as capable of being sociopaths as men. If that is the case, please refuse all contact from here on out. Trust me, lady. Just now rebuilding after 3 years with one of those. It does not get better and all they need is the slightest slip in your resolve and they are unpacked and digging through the fridge before you have time to hide your wallet.

Okay, thank you.

My only suggestion is to kindly suggest that you consider working on your own possible co-dependency and not being a rescuer. Be a friend, of course. But, enabling and rescuing is not helping her to grow and mature. (If there are true cognitive disabilities, that is another ball of wax.)

I’m sorry man

Sarahroo29......you are so cool........straight-up PEACE!!

Uh, thanks?

I think distance yourself from her, don't be rude, be polite when you see her, but don't get entangled. She doesn't know any different and may not be able to learn any different.
She doesn't have many friends or opportunities to do things I guess, but you can't let her attach herself to you.
I am almost 60 and have a group of youngsters I supervise each week. A new one is 23 with a weird background. Never been to school and his druggie mother has pretty much been his only contact all his life. He works with me 2 hours a week and i am relieved when it is over. He is not at all intellectually disabled but very awkward to deal with. You have your own life to live, this girl is not your responsibility, she is her mothers responsibility and that of her carers. Just pull back and focus on other things.

Okay, thank you.

Actually, I have more trouble with the smarter ones. Innocence of thought is more precious to me than intellectual pomposity. I would never abuse such a relationship. Goodness and kindness are lacking in the sophisticated world of the very smart. Appreciate and protect the innocence of the cognitively naive. They have a gift for the rest of us to cherish and learn from.

Your friend sounds developmentally disabled.

You are under no obligation to be anyone's friend, period. If you find a relationship injurious to your peace of mind, adjust it or end it. You can't go around saving others with a hole in your lifeboat.

Why is it you want to be her friend? If you're getting some fulfilment from the relationship (and not the "I'm doing what I'm supposed to" kind), then try to make some adjustments. It sounds like you already have.

Be honestwith yourself. Are you trying.to be her friend only for her benefit? That's noble, and not necessarily a bad thing--but only if you can manage it without injuring yourself. (Refer to lifeboat statement above.)

She's not your responsibility. You don't have to feel bad if you end up deciding that you can't take it.

Set boundaries. No, I won't do that with you. This is what we can do together. Etc. Try out different scenarios until you find something that doesn't stress you out or make her cry. Be patient if you go that route. You know she's immature, so you can't count on her to always play along nicely. Maybe the only thing you do together is meet once a week to work on a jigsaw puzzle together and chat--or something like that--and maybe that's enough. Maybe you find that there just isn't a comfortable way to make it work.

Say it with me now: She's not my responsibility.. That doesn't mean you don't care, or you don't try. It just means that whatever you do, you're free.

Okay. I did set boundaries with her a while back.

I can't even articulate how correct this seems to me, thank you for writing it. I think sensitive people often get caught up with other peoples problems and have trouble setting proper boundaries, your post is a great guide to what to do with that kind of relationship.

The advice that I would give is... if you are keeping company with someone and you are having difficulty keeping yourself 'straight' in your own mind...that is going to be an unequal balanced relatiinship. You may or may not teach this person much, because this may be a brain limitation. So if you can share, without expecting much in return, it will take some of the pressure off. You must be prepared to give the most and if you are not up to it, it is best for all envloved to limit your time with this particular person. I was a private duty nurse for many years, when I was caring for others, I had to put my personal needs on hold. I had to give my patient my attention. Sometimes it was most taxing, so I had to make sure I got my rest and spent time with other people, that cared for me! All relationship are work, some more than others and you must decide what YOUR limits are. Some relationship are too much for us! I had to decline a few patients, because I simply was not up to what would be expected of me! Best of luck...

Thank you.

I'm confused about your living situation...

To the main question, I have a hard time being friends with people with lots of different deficiencies. Probably why I practically have no friends.

I'm in an assisted living center for people with mental illnesses. Sorry, I have stated this in other posts/comments.

@Sarahroo29 Ah, okay. I didn't know that. In that case, I would probably be more patient than I otherwise would, but in the end, a friendship is supposed to be a symbiotic/ mutually beneficial relationship. If one party just feels bad all the time, it's not a good situation.

In my opinion with the way you are ranting a few chill pills from your doctor or a big joint is what you need

Really? My initial thought was that she just needed to be figuratively shit on by a shirtless dude in his 50s. I think you may have fixed all her problems without any drugs at all...

I'm chill. I just didn't know how to help her without ending up frustrated and without hurting her. Sorry.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.