Agnostic.com

6 2

Many Christians and other religions are inimical to atheists,and agnostics, we are blamed for many of the moral and social failings in our society. Is there anyway to reconcile with Christians? It is the effortless to meet anger with anger. Can anyone join me and try to be logical in your arguments, and not snarky or sarcastic when debating the religious. I say try because it takes effort and I fail often. I love Richard Dawkins but he is dissuading to the devout, I suggest we be more like Neil La-Grass Tyson in order to win hearts and minds The planet is fractured we are wise lets act it. Just my 2 cents

Corvus 6 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion is bs and is based on bs.Why should we sugar coat the truth?We need to tell it like it is.

well you can call someone a fat slob.... or you could tell them how much more attractive they would be if they lost a few pounds.... see the difference?

I use my fundamental extremeinst past and simply vocalize the questions that gave me cognative dissodence. I am not attacking them or their religion, only expressing MY own confusion. They can identify wih it wether they admit it or not. Using this method it never has become a debate.

Hmm...I've never known anything I say to make the slightest bit of different to a religious fanatic. My best move is to just ignore them, seem disinterested to discourage their behavior, or toss off a casual, indirect remark that lets them know I don't believe as they do, but hopefully not provoke a fight.

With religious true believers, especially judgmental ones -- no.

This statement, "try to be logical in your arguments", is your fail point.

The problem is simple. Our society allows people to be willfully ignorant of reality. Religion simply requests that of it's followers, to discard knowledge that is contrary to theirs. They take their dosage weekly to re-affirm the intentional disregard of facts. Until religion is treated with the respect it deserves, society will fail to grow up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.