Agnostic.com

14 2

99.9% sure

Are you 99.9% sure or 100% sure that there are not gods?

As much as I want to say 100% being absolutely sure where there is not certain evidence could make me as unreasonable as the religious zealot that is 1005 sure there is a god.

JeffLemar 5 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am 100% sure that I have seen no credible evidence of god's existence. I remain open to examining any evidence brought forth that would change my view. You can be sure, while still keeping an open mind that things could change. Stranger things have happened. As far as being a zealot, a little bit of tolerance, an understanding that others might have a different view and respect for their to hold such a view might soften that image considerable. After all, in the end, it won't make any difference.

I'm open to new information that may change my opinion.

I don't care one way or the other, but unless/until it's unequivocally proven, I'm acting as though there is not. And if he's there and doesn't like that answer, he can kiss my skinny white ass.

I'm just not convinced that you can be 100% sure of anything. I chose the ".01%" option just because that was the smallest non-zero value they offered in this site.

Thanks all for the comments. You know how the game is played here, post to get points and make level 2.

My question was inspired by some of the intro questions asked, one being how sure are you that there is no god. Given that this is the Agnostic site it seemed interesting to me that 100% was an option. So, I decided to see how the member Agnostics felt about.

If you still wonder where I stand on the question, I too an an Atheist. Null mean null.

I am at the 99.999... and concur with Mark Twain's saying that if there is a god it is a malign thug.

I am 100% positive that if you're 100% positive either way in the belief that there is or is not a god, you are delusional. Same goes for Dawkin's tea pot and the Kraken.

I consider myself 100% sure that there are no gods. I can only evaluate the evidence of any proposed god, and I personally think that the evidence is lacking. Maybe someday someone will present me with evidence of a god that will change my mind. Oh and any god out there is free to convince me them-self. At this point I am as certain that there are no gods, as I am certain of anything.

If there is no evidence of somethings existence, then it does not exist. (IMHO)

agreed

If the definition of God is an metaphysical undetectable being than I can not claim to know what by definition I can not know. In this since I am agnostic. I do not however, waste time wondering if their could be a magicunicorn god living in my butt.

This being said, with all of my knowlage and experience, I am completly certain that no man proffered god exist. That would put me at a solid 100%.

I am 100% certain that theists have not met their burden of proof that a god/s exists.

I am 100% certain that the god of the Torah/quran/bible does not exist. Nor do hindu gods exist.

Can I prove that something that could be described as a god could not exist in any form in any universe? No of course not. But that is not my job. I am not the one claiming that a god/s exists.

However, should there be verifiable evidence of a supernatural god/s discovered, then we will have a naturalistic explanation for god and so will no longer be supernatural - it will just change scientific theory about exceptions to the physical world and so I will then be a theist.

Simples!

Good question. I have a different question. Can you prove to 100% that the universe was not created 10 seconds ago, by a god who plants memories in your brain of your life experience, planting your banking history, phone call history, internet history etc, and that god planted all of these things in all of us. You cannot disprove something which is unfalsifyable (infact that is the very definition). I cannot disprove it, therefore in theory no fact is 100%.

That being said, 99.9% suggests that I think there is a 1 in a 1000 chance of there being some kind of god. In reality for me, this is not the case. It is much less than that, I am just not sure how many 9's to put after the 99.9%. For me it could be several 9's, the point is no matter how silly or stupid or ridiculous something may sound (whether it is god, or the flying spagetthi monster), the way I choose to deal with it is like this

'I don't say that god definately does not exist, rather, I say anyone who has tried to convince me that there is a god has failed miserably to present me with anything like enough evidence',

98% ...in case of a 2% solution.

They say you can't prove a negative, so it may not be reasonable to make the statement "I am 100% sure there are no gods." Plenty of people believe it and say it, though. The question hinges on what, precisely, a "god" is. There was a Captain Cook, he was a god for a while. In the Pacific in 1943, the American and Japanese air forces were gods. By extension, Brahma and Sarashvati (interesting that spell check recognizes Brahma but not his wife!) may have been post-docs from Deneb 4.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19012
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.