Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't celebrate anything, just out of preference, I mean it's kind of hypocritical of me celebrate something I just don't really believe in.... It's a waste of my time and energy....

Level 1 Oct 31, 2021

Sure why not it's just a day of fun and costumes. I can observe the christmas holiday as well but not the religious aspect.

Halloween to me is a magical time when pretending is fun. An interest in all things supernatural and paranormal allows the awe and wonderment of what makes Halloween spooky and fun. I have many Pagan friends who are naturally magical thinkers and spending Halloween and the days leading up to it with them is a nice visit into the mystifying.

I live in Atlanta, where there are Halloween events for adults almost every day during the month
I don't think most who celebrate are true believers in ghosts and other nonsense. It's fun. The Halloween parade in Little Five Points (an area of Atlanta where graffiti is art and the residents are mainly painters, writers, hippies, or alternative or counter culture in some way) is well-attended, wild, and tons of fun.

Dragoncon, held during Labor Day weekend is the largest science fiction, fantasy and horror Con in the world. I attended every year. It's like Halloween exploded over several blocks and all over 5 prominent downtown hotels. Thousands of elaborate costumes, hundreds of panels/discussions, hundreds of celebrity appearances (top rated A listed actors to new and upcoming performers), artists, and so much more. Very similar to Halloween in many ways. Always a wonderful time!

Reality is amazing, but short adventures into the otherworldly is a nice, fun break from the normal routine.

Halloween is my Christmas. And I don't believe in the supernatural or paranormal or in anything magical or unnatural.

Jeff ??

Might not "observe" it, but I often have fun. Is that allowed these days?

Halloween is about candy and scary shit. Dia de los Muertos is about honoring our ancestors. Neither is actually religious. We celebrate both. Because we like candy, skellingtons and honoring our ancestors.

Shouldnt in my opinion

I have no problem handing out candy. Halloween is so distorted from it's roots it basically like Valentine's Day or Sweetest Day imo

It's my favorite holiday!

Nothing religous about Halloween so why not.

Why not? Parents and kids dress up and canvass their neighborhood to get free sh-t. It's not more complicated than that - doesn't need to be and so yeah, I observe it with my grand daughters.

I once observed small children that were too scared to come up to the door because we made a pretty scary front yard.

Snail Level 2 Oct 25, 2018

American Wiccans do consider Samhain (Halloween) a religious holiday. The story is that it is the day on which the veil between the living and dead is the most permeable. It's sort of the same as Dia de los Muertos in that food is put out for dead relatives, except in Dia de los Muertos it's on November 1 for spirits of children and November 2 for spirits of adults. (By the way, it's pronounced sow-wen.)

The real question is, do atheists like candy?....rest my case

Halloween isn't a religious holiday.

CM86 Level 1 Oct 22, 2018

It is my favorite holiday. I love the thought of scary things even though I do not believe in any of it.

Just another holiday to me. A way to take time out of mundane life and just have some fun, kick back, maybe have a Halloween party, order some pizzas and put in some scary movies while having friends or family over.

Maybe even dress up as your most desired fantasy creature and go to a haunted house and have some fun.

It can be fun but I mostly ignore it too.

I don't think Halloween is something that you have to "observe" and it really is not a religious holiday. There might be some wacko fringe churches in the US who try to make it into a Pagan Holiday to try to keep children from having any fun with anything that is not church.

Halloween is the Celtic celebration of Samhainn so, a pagan celebration

Celebrated mostly in America though, its not popular in the same form in the UK even.

Of course I don’t acknowledge the existence of any of that nonsense but like Xmas and thanksgiving, it’s more tradition. For Halloween, I go to a gala at The Museum of Natural History.

That sounds awesome! Holidays should be a celebration of life. I can't think of a better way to celebrate than looking back at the history of nature.

Not this one. Or xmas.

It’s more an American thing, although it has partially migrated... its still not so popular all over the world.

it's not American, it's Celtic

I personally have never considered Halloween a religious holiday. I do not believe in vampires or werewolves but I do enjoy the ritual of getting dressed up as mythical creatures or just something odd like a hobo with a shotgun or some pop culture character and partying or going trick or treating with my kids. Is that observing a religious holiday? Can Christmas be about the myth of Saint Nick and the joy of spending time with family and friends, exchanging gifts, eating lots of good food...Of course I am not an Atheist but why does it matter? Can you be Atheist and still embrace the meaning of a religious holiday separate from the question of God? Does being an Atheist or an Agnostic preclude the idea of finding meaning in something even as you fully understand its lack of realism?

Quarm Level 6 Oct 18, 2018

I do! I'm only 5'1" so I can even get away with trick or treating. All these holidays, including Xmas & Easter, have roots in 2 or more belief systems but I don't pay any attention. It's all about the chocolate. Decorating & making costumes for the kids is fun too. Last year one was a microwave oven & won the costume contest at school.

Carin Level 8 Oct 18, 2018

You're 7 yrs old and all year long your parents tell you "Don't eat that!" "That's not good for you!" Given the opportunity to procure a large bag/bucket of candy? You bet your ass!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.