Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I participate in whatever holidays are upon us in myriad ways -- all except for the religious aspects -- whenever I feel like it. Trick-or-treating was fun when I was a kid, and I think my daughter enjoyed it when she was a kid. Sure, it's silly. But, fun, friends, family and gatherings are good silly.

I've never been much on samhain or the Catholic church changing the day -- but I enjoy the children dressed up as they want and giving out candy. I don't celebrate and of the deities surrounding the day. It's like April 1st -- has no value except for fun.

Hell !
Free candy

I consider it to be a secular holiday for most these days. It's fun. So, yes, I enjoy Halloween.

I can read Tolkein without believing in elves. I can watch Doctor Who without believing that time is a ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff. Why do I have to believe in ghosts and vampires to celebrate Halloween?

You mean time isn't a ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey? I'm devastated!

@CommonHuman I second that. My two hearts are breaking!

What! No vampires! I'm bummed!

Not a fan but it doesn't have to be a religious or superstitious holiday. It also doesn't have to be diabetic inducing. It can just be a good excuse to dress up like a slutty or scary whatever. Raise your freak flag.

It has no real historical history behind it. I see it as a way for people to make some good money with seasonal stores.

I am an author. I write fiction. Sometimes my fiction is about the supernatural. I am an atheist. Enough said.

Only for the costumes!

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and I will always celebrate it. But just like any other holiday I respect others choices in observing/not observing holidays.

I'll observe all the holidays. If someone is going to provide some good food like candy, turkey on Thanksgiving, or roast on Xmas, COUNT ME IN! lol give me all the foodz.

Don't think it is a religious holiday.

zesty Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

It all depends if you want candy or not.

Second most important holiday in my life! Halloween is a lifestyle!

I don't consider it a religious holiday..

Hell, I love Christmas.

godef Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

I celebrate the holidays, just not the meaning of the holidays.

I was going to say the same.

It's been a logn time sine Halloween has any kind of religious context , even if its originas may have originally been religious and/or superstitious. Now it is just fun and games.

So dress up, and do the Time Warp...

It's just a jump to the left...

Yes. It's all in good fun.

Just celebrate the first full moon after the autumnal equinox.

I love Halloween!!!! It's one of the reasons I became an atheist. I was raised in and went to a WELS ( Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) school until 7th grade. October 31 is also the day we celebrated the Lutheran Independence day.

We could dress up for school and have a fun day but 90% of the day was what was "Really important". We couldn't have any devil, zombie gross, ghost, Catholic costumes.

So like many kids I had one costume for school and then the creepy one for trick or treat.

I love the ghosts and goblins just like i love science fiction. I don't believe in them, but a day that allows me to eat and give out candy and try to scare or get scared is fantastic.

Maybe don't worry about it? The Halloween most in the US celebrate has no connection to All Saints' Eve which is followed by All Saints Day. Don't know many religious people that celebrate, who know the religious significance, or the fact that it has pagan roots.

It's a good excuse to party and have fun. I celebrate all the holidays I can if it means getting together with some friends for a bit of cheer.

I support the art and creativity that goes into humans dressing up for a day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.