Agnostic.com

27 8

Spirituality: Same nonsense by another name?

Am I the only one driven to distraction by that weird grab-bag of ideas lumped together under the heading of "spirituality?" Religion is easier to critique because of the weaknesses of its core ideas and the sketchy nature of many its institutions and followers. But spirituality? Its own adherents can't even clearly say what the heck it is. (Something to do with "purpose," "nature," and often, cheesy pictures of wolves ...) Many people will acknowledge my atheism, and then immediately insist that I must then be "spiritual." Anyone else experience this, and more to the point, is annoyed by it?

The-Krzyz 8 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, same b.s. to me. "Higher power," "energy," "souls" all mumbo jumbo to give them something else to believe in other than themselves and others--usually to take place of the religion they gave up.

lerlo Level 8 Oct 8, 2018

I'm seldom sure what most mean by 'spiritual', for the reason that most that use that term aren't, either. "Grab-bag" is a good term, usually. Often it is feelings, mixed with woo & pseudo-science. Oftentimes it's a watered down deism or pantheism, sometimes with Eastern religious elements thrown in.
Do we have yearnings for an overarching meaning in life? Many of us do. Do we have a sense of wonder, beauty, love & more that is not easily translatable into 'material science', sure. Is this a reason to throw reason out the window & accept nebulous, unfalsifiable myths, double-talk & wishful-thinking as a real thing? I don't believe so.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:196508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.