Agnostic.com

74 5

Did the Bible make you an Atheist?

The more I studied the Bible, the more I thought it was bunk. I was astounded by the number of contradictions. Anyone else?

tdtallent77 4 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

74 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No arrogant theists, and especially some of my school teachers made me an Atheist.
(Including one who tried to teach his pupils that animals had no feelings or emotions, only mechanical behaviour which just seemed to replicate human emotion, and that therefore it was wrong to feel empathy for them. Which made me realize that:- One, if you go down the religious route you will end up accepting any rubbish to make it fit your theology. And. Two, being a complete psychopath is a big help in a teaching career.)

I would qualify (theistic teaching career) I teach people to use (testable, verifiable science and scepticism to make the best informed decisions.

@NoMagicCookie Yes It was just theistic school teachers, that is what I meant, though this was a long time ago and most school teachers were theistic in those days. I am of course talking about the UK where the separation of church and state was never a fact, and indeed R.E. was the only subject teachers were compelled to teach.

The Christian Bible made it so I did not accept that the Christian God exists. As for the other countless gods I have reject too. It was a long process for me to become an atheist. World religion classes also helped. I can't say it was only one thing, but loads of different reasons.

I did forget to mention that continuing on research and learning several fields of science helped as well.

It didnt make me an atheist wholly and directly but it strengthened my opinions along the way. Definitely a major contributing factor, along with being abandoned by the god I thought I believed in. I was left with no other choice but to stay angry at god or realize it doesnt exist. Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, even if it's your own.

I was never angry at any gods because I realized they are imaginary and only imagination lives and controls you through your mind. The big thing was being told he sees everything and is all powerful and knowing yet so much terrible things on the earth gods can't be real. So many wars fought because people thought their gods approved of it. People being killed because of religion was just wrong! I prefer to educate people to the truth so it can break the slave chains of religions! I get told look the good religion does. I say look atthe bad it does and it out weighs any of the good that is done!

It didn't hurt, that's for sure!

That's what I was going to comment.

nope. first of all, most people here mean the christian bible when they say bible, and i was never a christian, but as a secular jew, bible-reading just wasn't on my agenda. some deliberate thinking and consideration brought me to the realization that there were no gods.

g

Not really but I can see how it would

Not really. It was mostly the hypocrisy of the congregation. When I was around 14 I realized my own hypocrisy. I didnt actually believe the bullshit. So I stopped going.

Della Level 6 Oct 9, 2018

i don't think it had anything to do with it.

I always was an Atheist, even before reading the bible.

No Catholicism did

It helped, it definitely helped

By the time I was 15, I had read the Bible from cover to cover 3 times. Each time I read it, it became more clear that it became more and more apparent that it certainly was not a book of truth.

No - as a former Catholic, we never read it or paid any attention to it. It was all about what Mott the Poople had to say about things. I think it was JP 2 at the time.

It does seem ironic that the very tool used to enslave the masses is the source of freedom for so many that actually engage in it.

No! The fact that people invented god in their own image, if there was a god what are the chances of "it" looking like us? An all knowing deity would be able to see the mess we were likely to make of things and not give us the power or the tools to do so.

It was a combination of the buybull, the clergy and the so-called christians. I saw them every day professing to love everyone yet marginalizing the most vulnerable of our society.

No! Obviously, God made me an atheist. 😉

But, seriously, Gawdawful's alleged actions in the Bible did start me on the path.
Everyone talked about all the humans that died in Noah's flood because they were wicked...and wouldn't tell me why all the innocent animals had to drown horrids deaths too.
No one would tell me why Gawdawful demanded the sacrifice of so many animals to appease his lust for death.
No one would tell me why there were talking snakes and donkeys...but animals lives didn't matter.

By the time I was 10-12, I was calling "God" by my name for him "Gawdawful" because, damn, he's an asshole and I tried to point out to people what a monster he was and no one would listen....

So, yeah, the horrendous stories of murder, death, hate, and destruction in the Bible -- all perpetrated by Gawdawful -- definitely is the basis for my complete dismissal of his existence.

It started with the misogyny, homophobia, genocide and slavery...but the final nail, so to speak, for me, was the complete and utter lack of any evidence whatsoever for the existence of any god.

The Bible didn't make me an atheist but helps a lot!!! Too many contractions, selfish , incest, murders etc. Insane book. That's crazy think that many people based their lives on this.

Between what is written, and what the people that say they believe it to be the word of God do in life... They don't match up. Or they do. It depends on what verse you want to read. But basically by their own actions, they don't really believe it either, or they would be really really good people. And they're not!!! So it's not just the book that is full of contradictions and horrific treatment of humanity. It's the the people that blindly perpetuate it and are really bad examples of humanity...wait, do you see a correlation? Maybe they do get it, and being a horrible person is like being god!?

Indirectly, yes. The Bible, as understood by my particular sect, made various predictions of cause and effect, and advanced various explanations about why things were as they were; these explanations and predictions were usually (and, often, spectacularly) wrong when compared to lived experience. So I found a working epistemology to replace my broken one.

Doing that enabled me to read the Bible in a more critical and rational way, which confirmed that it was bunk.

Yup. One of the quickest routes to being an atheist is actually reading the Bible.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve, so here's some info, in case you need it.

For members who are open to dating, certain thumbnails and profiles have a heart symbol on them with a percentage. This identifies which members are open to dating, and the percent shows approximately how compatible others are with them.

You gain website points by answering all the profile questions and writing a bio, which also earns website points, and helps other members get to know you.

Commenting on posts and writing your own posts earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

If you want to date, the website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many people prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find others with similar interests..

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.

You can check for local events on the "Events" tab in the drop-down menu under the "Discuss" button, above.

Points are now being given to level 3+ members who chat. You can see chat rooms on the group main page.

No, but the racism supported by bible verses sure did. I grew up in Mississippi.

Contradictions and errors, but I was to young to read it when my disbelief began. I was pretty skeptical after less than a year of Sunday school.

JimG Level 8 Oct 9, 2018

The lies how religious people treated others and each other, the world full of crime hate and con artists using religion to steal from the poor. Giving the false hope. Then someone gave me a bible and cemented my atheism even deeper in my mind. I compiled a list of over 50 terrible and misleading passages.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:196848
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.