Agnostic.com

33 5

Am I the only person on this site who doesn't have a pet?

Living in rural Ireland we tend to keep our animals outside ( as god intended as it were) I see a lot of this sites users with their pets. Now I like animals ok, in fact I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years but where in the house do you let them roam? Are there boundaries?

• 2 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 50 votes
  • 12 votes
diabhal 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Had two dogs and a cat until my ex moved out and took them with her. I'd like to have a pet now but I like to travel a bit so not easy.

Unless a purpose bred animal suited for outdoor living domesticated pets belong close at hand, with at the minimum proper shelter.
This isn't negotiable in my world.
Spent the summit of my being dogless due to finances but as soon as that fog cleared we now have 2 and they sleep with us.
Life is too ***ing short not to have a companion animal. I'll do so as long as I'm able and can afford them. The only things I won't miss are the vet bills and dremeling nails.

Below hogging the bed but he's good at knowing when to scoot over.

I couldn't live without something to "take care of". I am a nurturer at heart.

NZVee Level 4 Feb 5, 2018

I love all creatures great and small. I have had what people call pets but never been entirely comfortable with the larger culture involving domesticated animals. THroughout my life i have often gone on solo backpacking trips for a couple of weeks to a month. I wait until the noise and the smell of cities, of people fades inside and out. I can tell because the wild things start walking up to me, sometimes I wake up with critters snuggled up alongside me sleeping bag. Birds and horses have always fascinated me, fish too, but octopuses captivate me to no end. My last real pet was a miniature boarder collie named Cyrus. After I caught my fiance carrying on with my boss I just walked out. I didn't have a place for him with me so I had to leave him. When I went back a few weeks later to collect him, she told me he was killed. Hit by a car running into the street. He kept running away trying to find me. Not sure I ever got over that, really, it still hurts down deep somewhere. Anyway, as a scout I studied falconry and applied for a Peregrine but unfortunately that was the same year the government listed them as endangered. My parents wouldn't pay for horse riding lessons so I also got work as a groom in northern kentucky hunter jumper stable in exchange for for cash and dressage lessons.

I have two cats, two fish tanks, and five non-venemous snakes. The cats have full access to the entire inside of my house. The dangers outside preclude letting them out, unless I would not mind losing them (to coyotes, stray large dogs, contagious diseases from raccoons and stray cats, traffic on the high way, etc). Both cats are in their prime, so they are very low maintenance. They largely choose to be in whatever room I am, day and night. They are wonderful company!

Zster Level 8 Feb 3, 2020

Pets in most cases are non-native species that don't belong in nature. Outside cats are the worst, in that they kill songbirds, small mammals, amphibians, and reptiles in large numbers. Dogs left to roam kill fewer but larger animals and can be a danger to humans. In addition to the creatures they kill, outdoor pets are frequently killed or injured by larger predators, disturbed people, and vehicles.

Allowing any of the above to happen is not responsible behavior.

JimG Level 8 Feb 3, 2020

No pets for me, allergic to most. Started allergy shots therapy this past fall. Likely never will own, but in the last year a friend got a kitten and I was encouraged to play with it. It's the first time since childhood I've enjoyed an animal (iirc). The cat never goes outdoors and is never exposed to other animals. I still dislike the claws and finding fur on my clothing, but both are respectively mitigated by trimming and washing. If I ever lived with a cat it would be declawed, and even then I'd fear damage to my possessions.

I have two smaller-sized dogs and three cats (one spends most of its time outside per its choice) and a bird (that has its own room). My living room couch and counter tops are off limits. Other than that, my house is their house. My outdoor pets are chickens.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19726
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.