Agnostic.com

6 0

Is being overweight the new fad?

They showed a clip of people around here on TV and they were all fat... I have no room to talk because I'm fat too. I wish they had a pill.

BucketlistBob 8 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had to deal with weight issues my whole life. When I graduated from high school I weighed 265lb.s and wore 42 waist jeans. It took about 10 months and I was down to 205 and wore 36 waist jeans. That was in 1984. I'm a weight lifter so my weight is not usable as a measurement of fat. I wear 38 waste jeans now.
This is what I did. First thing is, everybody is different so any diet is not going to work the same for everybody. Next DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY! if you cut your normal diet way down suddenly your body is going to slow your metabolism down to compensate. Ease into it a little at a time. Like it or not if you really want to lose weight you have to exercise more. Walk, ride a bike whatever for at least 30 min. 4 or 5 days a week Just like everything else you body has to warm up, so the 30 min. gets you body up to operating temp. so to speak.
Stay away from scales. Weighing yourself all the time just makes it harder. Your body burns fat stores differently depending on where it is on your body. Which is going to make your weekly weight loss vary. Cheat from time to time don't let cravings get out of hand. Most importantly when you get to where you want to be, get rid of your fat clothes. When your clothes get a little tight and you don't have anything else to wear, makes it easier to ease up and lose a little until your clothes fit again.
It helps to look at food as a daily chore and nothing to be enjoyed.

Thanks Mike...ill remember that...

@BucketlistBob You have to figure out for yourself what works for you. Remember you have to burn more calories than you take it.

@MikeFlora. Awwww Mike. Now there's rules...ugh!

It's all so confusing. I went on a diet no fried foods, no pork or beef and did not eat high sugar foods. I lost 18 lbs., but my cholesterol went up. 😟 go figure

Geeze that sucks...

Actually, it is common if you are actively dieting or recently ended a diet at the time the cholesterol test is done. Mine was elevated over the previous year but I had lost 27 lbs in the prior months. Did some research and found that as you lose weight it will have the effect of releasing some of the cholesterol and fat sitting in your cells and send it floating along in your blood stream, giving you a higher cholesterol reading. This is a temporary thing, after you stop dieting and stabilize at a new weight for a while, the numbers will go down.
More info if you are interested: [wheatbellyblog.com]
[livestrong.com]

@DotLewis thank you for that.

I've heard exercise and diet are the best ways to lose weight, but I wouldn't know firsthand.

the reason people around there might be softer than usual is because the food is so dang good.

That's for sure...

Oh ____ YES! (was going to say oh god yes, is that hypocritical? Topic for another discussion) Anyway! In retirement I have discovered a love for cooking. Not all the time but fairly regularly will get the urge to try some new recipe and the holiday cooking was simply decadent. I had to take boxes and plates of goodies to everyone I could think of so I wouldn't have it all in the house. I have been "stalled" since Thanksgiving but have lost about 35 pounds, primarily driven by Afib, which I heard could be improved by weight loss. Couldn't make the changes for elevated blood pressure but that pitty-pat in my chest really made me take notice. Miss some of the (over)eating but the Afib is better.

I think many people regard "normal" weight as fat, given the Hollywood/movie star/model anorexia that we have been subject to for so long.

The reality is more Americans are overweight than ever before. There is so much sugar in our food chain, even foods that aren't sweet have excess sugar. It is a filler, it is dirt cheap. Which is why I don't eat boxed foods and try to eat as close to natural as possible. There is more sugar in our food supply now than there has been in the last 50 years, which is why our grandparents were healthier than we are. I kicked sugar 2.5 years ago and lost 50 pounds. I changed jobs and stress caused me to put 15 pounds back on. Now I'm trying to get back in control, some days are better than others.

Your pill, my friend, is to read labels. Keep your sugar under 30 grams a day. That is the first and most important step. Then eat more veggies, less meat. (Heresy! I know). If the diet is not controlled all the exercise in the world is not going to help, even my doctor admitted that. Sugar leads to inflammation which leads to clogged arteries, and arthritis to start with. Excess sugar also leads to Diabetes. DM2 is on the rise in the US, elementary aged children now have DM2, that was unheard of a generation ago.

There are some good documentaries and TED talks on this, Food, Inc being one. Fascinating stuff.

I'm sad...lol...just kidding... I can be hopeful on the pill... your right on all that... I'm just going through a faze right now... it's called lazy and retired...lol.

What about sugar in fruit? Did you cut back that too?

@Kojaksmom Yep, cut way back on fruit.

The struggle is real my friend. I'm working on losing some weight right now myself. I've dumped about 9 pounds this month. I'd like to drop another 25 - 30. Baby steps I guess. My local Walmart has both a McDonald's and a blood pressure monitor. Circle of life right there. "Murica!" Americans eat raw cookie dough too. We love to eat so much, we can't even wait to cook shit anymore.

Duke Level 8 Jan 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.