Agnostic.com

18 1

Would you teach your child to stand for the "Pledge of Allegiance"?

Personally, I wouldn't. America is far from a country I feel my son should be "pledging his allegiance" to. Not to mention, it clearly says "under god" in the pledge.

Why would or wouldn't you?

• 3 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 32 votes
MindAtWar 4 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe in worshipping any false idol whether it be a god or a flag.

I told my kids they didn't have to stand if they didnt want to. For one thing, our family does not trust in god. Secondly, the flag and patriotism are intangible ideas that people use against other people.

I live in Canada we don't do stupid wind up the patriotism pledges.

I don’t but would never try to stop someone else. That is unless they tried to make me stand.

There is a time and place for everything. As a matter of courtesy, I taught my kids to stand respectfully and silently for the pledge, for prayer, and for national anthems of all nations, or to sit quietly for meal blessings (and hold hands if that was expected). I explained they should do these things out of respect for other people, not because they agreed with those people's beliefs. That said, if my children had wanted to sit (or kneel) for the pledge (or the anthem) because they wanted to call attention to a political issue, I would have supported them on that. As long as they were quiet, and respectful, they have a right to express their opinions. And yes, I've served in the military...over 25 years in fact, and I STILL protect and defend the Constitution.

The flag is just a piece of cloth, and the pledge is just mindless droning. I wouldn't teach them to say those words unless they really mean them. Or they could just say "we are the Borg. Resistance is futile."

These polls often offer forced choices. Where is the choice "I would teach him how to decide for himself" and a discussion about teaching the actual history. I have no problem with whatever action a person chooses, so long as the reason is something besides "I am doing what I was taught to do."

I made a 3rd choice saying you would let them do as they please ????

@MindAtWar Yes, I saw that. That choice would leave them worshiping the gods of video.

Do you recite your wedding vows every morning?
Instead of the flag maybe we should pledge ourselves to the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
We now know our government lies to us to start wars which as a veteran may make me complicit in war crimes as I have been involved with killing many of what are now known to be innocent victims of our governments wishes.
We once killed a million people to stop them from becoming a different political party (communists) so should we now kill people to stop them becoming Republicans or Democrats?
We killed another million people because they weren't involved with Al Quida but our government said they were knowing they weren't.
We also know a soldier isn't required to follow an unlawful order but just don't and see what happens to you. Which is very important now as we have a president that may order a nuclear attack on a country, that may or may not deserve it, that a General will have to carry out but if he refused he gets fired and this President will keep firing generals until he finds one to carry out his orders.
Which leaves the question. What are you actually pledging to?

Without passing judgement... I will teach them that Respect is always the Right and Only Choice because I was taught that Respect has no Alliance or Flag. I was raised under two flags, two cultures in a household of one culture with two opposite ideologies. I was taught to Respect both equally.

we all have choices

I was sent to the vice principal's office for a stern talking-to when I refused to stand for the pledge in my senior year of high school. Really opened my eyes to how passionately people not only cling to flimsy arguments (e.g. the flag = veterans) but believe they have a right to impose those beliefs in others. In this "free" country.

I'd encourage people to act their conscience, whatever that means. I know I did.

I did and she did. It took awhile but she was stubborn like her mom and eventually earned the right to not participate.

I personally don't pledge. My 4th grade teacher and principle thought it was horrible of me to stand and not say anything so they forced me to participate or be suspended. However, I had no plan of pledging so I got suspended for re-writing the pledge to be more realistic. I also think they got in more trouble than I did as when I came back they both had some time off and I never had to worry about the pledge as it was removed from our daily activities.

I didn't when I was in school and I would teach my son to do as he wishes either way just like I do with his religious views, I will support him in his choices wether I agree or not as long as he brings no harm to others. That's what a good parent is supposed to do.

Actions have consequences. It would be important to advise him of the repercussions he/she will be subject too and if he/she is capable of dealing with it in a healthy manner. (IMHO)

I would teach them to omit the "under God."

Gohan Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

I would certainly suggest that.

I'm not pledging allegiance to a flag, or any other damned thing.
I wouldn't encourage anyone else to either.

There was a Supreme court decision on this during WWII. Nobody can be forced to participate. That is what the Nazis were doing back then. I don't like what is happening in this country.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

@josh_karpf Are you referring to Jehovah's Witnesses as liberal religious nuts? I get the feeling you prefer uniformity, conformity, and good order.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.