Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK Evolution timeframes get a rethink after scientists take a closer look at Earth's first animals

FTA: Even more intriguing, more than 200 fossils of Stromatoveris psygmoglena have now been found, despite the fact that it lacked hard parts which are usually most easily preserved. This indicates that this species was an important member of its shallow marine ecosystem rather than a rare or marginal survivor.

This could mean that the petalonamids adapted more successfully to the changes of the Cambrian period than had been thought, or that the Ediacaran period and its animals were less alien and more advanced than previously realised. We can be confident, however, that the animal kingdom we occupy is much older than we once thought.

zblaze 7 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting article. Going so far back in the fossil record makes it challenging to identify bridge species. Given their lack of hard skeletons. Its amazing they were preserved at all.

That doesn't make any sense, the earth is only 6,000 years old. lol, jk.
Cool article.
I love hearing new discoveries.

I found this point interesting, as creationists are frequently critical of the biodiversity manifested by the Cambrian explosion.

"This means that animal species were diversifying well before the Cambrian explosion."

As time goes on mankind has been forced to see that everything is much older than we had first thought. I think this is in part because we believed everything to have a beginning and an ending. I recall that the popular film "One Million Years BC" with Raquel Welsh had humans and dinosaurs living together. Modern scientists say that was not so at all. The popular "Flintstones" TV show was once a primetime cartoon and it had humans and dinosaurs living together also. They say the dinos were gone by the time we got here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:199004
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.