Agnostic.com

8 6

QUESTION Inherit the Wind scene, creationism vs. evolution - YouTube

Has anyone watched "Inherit the Wind" based on the Scopes Monkey Trail? I think Spencer Tracy is great in it. He portrays Henry Drummond and based on real-life attorney Clarence Darrow. Matthew Harrison Brady is based on William Jennings Bryan. Schoolteacher Bertram T. Cates is based on schoolteacher John Thomas Scopes (hence "Scopes Monkey Trial" ).

Based on a real-life case in 1925, two great lawyers argue the case for and against a science teacher accused of the crime of teaching evolution.

To heighten the tension of Spencer Tracy's final summation to the jury, the scene was filmed in a single take.

ballou 8 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

nothing has changed

I saw movie (long time ago) and later on the documentry. I do remember how interesting it was.

Great movie...

Was a good movie. Tracy played Clarence Darrow very well!

Tracy was a great actor. One of the very best.

Yes it is an awesome film..a classic..and to think the religiturds are Still screaming about evolution..smh

...as if this trial never happened!

@Freedompath
Which Scopes lost..

That's one of the few movies I can go back and watch over and over.

gearl Level 8 Jan 31, 2018

I just watched a Rich Hall documentary on the south. It included this film and scene. It also took a look at the original Scopes trial. Evolution was already part of the school curriculum. Including eugenics which to quote the text books of the time (1930`s ) " Have already been very successfully tried in europe ".

Spencer Tracy's final summation:

BOY! We may have had a few real 'heros' in the not to distant pass...if only a few could step forward now?

wow

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19945
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.