Agnostic.com

5 0

All the single ladies

In Beyoncé’s song All The Single Ladies there is the line “If you liked it then you should've put a ring on it.” My question is what is the IT?

Kodiamus 7 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

PS despite all my philosophical issues with this song it’s still a very fun song, just saying.

I do know that in the video and she holds her hand up for her wedding finger but that the it isn’t her finger. The normal implication is that if you liked my sex, i.e. sex with “me” you should have put s ring on my finger. But that seems to diminish the woman, that if you liked my sex all you need to do is put a ring on it and it’s yours. I think that most women would want a guy to put a ring on their finger for more than just good sex. And if the it is “her” more generally then it seems problematic to objectify the feminine as an it, especially since women don’t want to be objectified simply as sexual objects.

A ring. Watch the video - it might become clear.

No the question is what is the it that you liked and should have put a ring on it

it's a kind of nebulous, general "it" which could mean anything from the ring finger to sex to (talk about objectification) the woman in question.

g

Beyonce's ex boyfriend (in the song) is angry because he sees her in the club being hit on by another man. Beyonce said that she cried over him for three years after they broke up, so now he has no say in her life. If he really wanted her for himself, he should have asked her to marry him, or "put a ring on it."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:200044
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.