Agnostic.com

9 0

I need help

I'm agnostic , I see no evidence for a god , I've read the Bible and it's none sensical , if that God did exist I certainly would not praise a slavery advocating homophobic murderer.
I still have this irrational feeling inside that the is a god and I can't get rid off it even when I'm reassured by the no evidence for one.
I assume that feeling is there because I've been told when I was a child the is a god and it's so hard to 100% to get rid of that assertion.
Please help me rid myself of this irrational feeling which I find deeply disturbing.

Lemonhead526 4 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

ThAnk you

Here's my thoughts. I'm sure there's no god, but I could be wrong. However, even if I am wrong, if the god of the christian bible is the ruler of heaven as the bible says. I would choose death over singing its praises forever.

If that doesn't help research the origins of bible stories. They are all just rewrites of older myths. The garden of Eden, the great flood, the serpent of the bible was probably Tiamat, the Mesopotamian creator goddess. The story of a god who was sacrificed and resurrected was told at least half a dozen times before the new testament was written. The stories that weren't taken from older legends are easily proven to be false.

If the bible were truly the inspired word of god, we have no way of knowing which god it was that inspired it, before the Hebrews stole it.

JimG Level 8 Oct 13, 2018

Put it to the test, once and for all.
Stand up, speak aloud and say the following.

Dear God,
I deny the holy ghost, THE unforgivable sin
If you exist prove yourself to me now
Strike me down if you can you cowardly bitch
Appear in front of me and say hello, you wanker
Give me a reason for all your fuckwittery
But you won't, because you don't exist
Go on prove me wrong, jealous and wrathful god with a small g
well nothing has happened, I am talking to myself and it is the last time
Fuck religion, fuck magic, fuck churches and fuck gods.

When nothing happens, and it will not, get on with your life knowing that either you are free of the delusion or are going to hell for the unforgivable sin and so need not even think about god ever again, either way your rid of it.
🙂

A lifetime of god belief in a world that has god belief is hard to escape from. The best I can say is that it takes time. Remain logical in all things and you can sort it out. What do I mean by logical? OK, how many people do you think raised from the dead? Is there anyone? Do you believe that someone went to heaven on a winged horse? Have you ever seen a winged horse?

Yes in Clash of the Titan, the original version, awesome film 😉

Put your man-panties on and get a grip. Put childish delusions behind you..it's easy bro...just let go.

Agnostic just means not knowing the nature of god or gods. None of us can say we are certain that there is no god, but as you yourself say we can find no evidence that there is. I am both an Atheist and an Agnostic based on both of these facts. I think the indoctrination you have had since early childhood is so ingrained that what you are feeling is guilt. Guilt and sin are heavily emphasised especially in the Catholic Faith....perhaps that was your former faith....and these feelings will be hard to shake off. You have begun on a journey of reason by using critical thought and if you just continue on that path by using logic and by rejecting anything that is illogical you will gain more confidence in your own ability to understand that the bible is full of contradictions and is full of magical thinking. There Is absolutely no evidence of this so called God of Love, in fact judging by the number of natural disasters occurring around the world which almost always bring death and misery on the most helpless of mankind, it would be more apt to call him a sadistic god of destruction. It should be noticed that most of the victims still say they are praying for deliverance after the total devastation of their homes and loss of loved ones! This can only be explained by mass brainwashing on a colossal scale, and complete inability to think logically.

I very much appreciated your response. What you say rings true.
I was brought up protestant and when I was older attended a baptism church.
If God existed why make the Bible so contradictory, it allows genocide on a massive scale , child abuse and advocates the murder of homosexuals .
I'm straight but don't understand why someone could hate a gay person so venomously

@Lemonhead526 At least you have got out from the belief that blind faith is all you need, and are now able to use logic and reason.

It takes time. You'll get over it. Afterall, it took years to be programmed,... Read some science literature...

yep you have correctly identified the source of your feeling.

it will pass as you educate yourself more and more (i am not implying you're uneducated, only that there is ALWAYS more). this is what isaac asimov said after most of a lifetime calling himself an agnostic:

“I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.”

as i say, the feeling will pass. there may be some tiny residual but i wouldn't worry about it. in this case, follow your head and your heart will adjust.

g

For the past few weeks I've regularly watched the atheist experience online which helps me cope with my small amount of doubt.
Are the any books you can recommend?
I've read Richard Dawkins which was a complex read to get his view across

@Lemonhead526 i always recommend reading something other than atheistic tomes. maybe carl sagan's nonfiction works would help.

g

The Bible is a poor copy of the Sumerian texts, carved on the Babylonian walls 2000 years before the Bible was written. The blood-thirsty, cruel, misogynistic Hebrew god of the Bible is based on "Anu," the alien leader of the Sumerians.

The texts parallel the Bible stores, except they are more scientific. For instance, in the story of Noah, he built a submarine and only took animal DNA onboard with him.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve, so here's some info, in case you need it.

For members who are open to dating, certain thumbnails and profiles have a heart symbol on them with a percentage. This identifies which members are open to dating, and the percent shows approximately how compatible others are with them.

You gain website points by uploading a recent photo of your face, answering all the profile questions and writing a bio, which also earns website points, and helps other members get to know you.

Commenting on posts and writing your own posts earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

If you want to date, the website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many people prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find others with similar interests..

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.

You can check for local events on the "Events" tab in the drop-down menu under the "Discuss" button, above.

Points are now being given to level 3+ members who chat. You can see chat rooms on the group main page.

Thankyou for your information on your reply , I would very much like to find out more from where the biblical stories may of originated from . Is the a book you can recommend?

@Lemonhead526 You can read this link, if you like:
The origins of human beings according to ancient Sumerian texts

[ancient-origins.net]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:200062
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.