Agnostic.com

12 11

I was pulled over by the Sheriff for speeding. I was doing 80 in a 65mph zone. The Sheriff turned his lights on and I looked down and sure enough I was speeding. The Sheriff did a U turn, and I was already looking for a good place to pull over. I gave the Sherif my license and registration. I had just moved here and the Sheriff wanted to know if my address was current. I explained to him that I had reported my address change at the Sheriff's Office, and he said "give me a moment".

While I was waiting my thoughts were on how this transgression would cost me. The price of the ticket, and my insurance going up, and etc. When the Sheriff returned He just said, "try not to speed".

WOW -- I did not expect that! I always waive at the law enforcement when I drive by them. Maybe he recognized my car?
What ever the reason I am glad.

Leutrelle 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve been pulled over but never ticketed. I assume it’s because I always acknowledge what I’ve done and apologize. I’m ready to get the ticket and pay the fine. There’s no doubt that I’m guilty at the time. I’m sure being a white woman also helps.

Forgive me if you have heard this before. A state trooper has stopped thousands of speeders and only ever let someone off if they gave the right reason. Only one guy ever did which is this. " I am sorry to be speeding officer but my wife left me last month for a policeman and when I saw you in my rear view mirror I thought he was trying to give her back ".

Good one🙂

The best way to encourage a traffic officer to let you off is to say to him-her the opposite of what the officer is expecting and is so used to hearing, Which are lame excuses. Say something like " You are absolutely correct officer, I was going too fast, I am not in any hurry, and I do deserve what you are about to give me."
The officer may be so surprised that he-she will probably take the opposite tack and say, " Oh it's not that bad, just drop your speed and take care. { I have been let off twice by using this tactic. ]

Maybe it's because you have that kind grandfather vibe that maybe reminded him of his own father.

It's just the luck of the draw

I'm sleeping in my Jeep for now, and have a few favorite spots to camp. Last night a sheriff pulled into where I was planning on crashing. He asked what I was doing, and I explained that sometimes I camp there, instead of going any further up the road to the actually campgrounds.

He wanted to know why I camped around here, and I informed him that I am gainfully employed in the area. He asked where, and I told him. So, now the local police dept and the local sheriff's office know, and a police officer said he we going to check on me sometimes. I've never had the bad luck to run into any of the law enforcement that give the profession a bad name.

I honestly think cops know that not everyone they come into contact with in the course of doing their jobs is a criminal and they don't want to give people a legal hassle if they don't have to.

Then again, I'm a cute, young-looking white female so I can afford to have that attitude. If I were a 6'2" 275 lb black man, I probably wouldn't feel exactly the same way.

I am a not so good looking old white dude.

I got pulled over today and got caught doing 70 in a 50. He wrote it for only 60. I thanked him and shuck his hand. I guess I'm getting older cause in the past I would've felt like a tool.

In my state they usually give you a warning the first time. So as long as the past couple years are clear you usually don't actually get a ticket.

Sounds like a great State🙂

A few years ago, I drove around the U.S. alone. And was pinged three times for speeding. Twice, the highway patrolmen let me off with a warning after realising that I was a tourist with my AUS drivers license.

The third one, somewhere in Utah if I remember correctly, asked me to follow him to the nearest town (from the interstate highway) so that I can pay the fine. He pulled out an envelope, wrapped my cash in a some pieces of paper so that it won't show through the envelope. He put the ticket in the envelope and addressed it to which ever office takes the fine. He handed the envelope back to me so that I can put it in the mailbox (the post office was shut at this time, being around 6:30pm) in full view of him.

Is speeding a state-by-state misdemeanor? As in: fines incurred in one state can't be collected while the person is in another state.

Yes that is correct, and you not being a citizen would make it difficult to collect the money for the fine. Sorry for the bad experience. Something I don't know: Do you need a special drivers license as a US citizen to drive in Australia?

@Leutrelle I don't think so. I knew that I could get an international drivers license for the U.S. but I heard that it wasn't required.

Not sure about AUS. Note, however, that our driver's seat is on the right - so we drive on the left side of the road. I didn't find it difficult switching when I drove in the U.S.

I used to supervise foreign students who were in the US for training. One day I received a phone call from the local sheriff asking me to bring one of my students to the station so they could arrest him. Turns out he had 10 speeding tickets in the previous 5 months. His defense, he said he didn't know he was supposed to pay them. He was a Saudi citizen, and so was pretty rich. I talked the sheriff out of any jail time if he paid his tickets. The kid (18 years old) pulled $4,000 out of his wallet and we went down to the station and he paid cash for the tickets.

@SamKerry I tried to imagine that. I don't think it would to to hard to adjust🙂

@CidNickel damned entitled, rich kids!

You got lucky. 🙂

marga Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

I can't argue that one🙂

always nice to get a warning

Thats the first time for me🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20020
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.