Agnostic.com

12 5

Wow! Thanks, religion! NOT. This story from a Mormon couple hits a bit close to home for me, being as I was, as a gay man, telling myself I was Bi and trying to make a monogamous straight marriage work,...for 25 years! Society instills a deep-rooted fear in us, but it is undoubtedly religion leading the charge.
[patheos.com]

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm sorry you went through that. My father had the same issue. I'm lucky to have come of age in a world where being gay was a realistic option for me, rather than trying to force myself to fit into a box of heteronormativity.

Definitely now is time to be you. Live life to the fullest. Learn from that experience and make the list of all the things you'll do to make everything work and the other list of all the things you won't do to make everything work. Keep rolling brother!!!

@MikeinBatonRouge, I’m so sorry for the torment you’ve had to live with in suppressing who you really are. It’s quite an achievement that you’ve created something so positive in your life while extricating yourself from that foul belief system.

The way religion controls us, suppressing every good human instinct, is so cruel. I try to be angry at the masses about it but they’re so brainwashed that it’s hard to maintain steam. Although instances like the one in this article certainly cause eruptions of occasional anger.

Congratulations on your success.

The worst lies are the ones we tell ourselves. Everyone gets hurt.

Indeed! It is interesting, to say the least, how we can find ourselves feeling trapped, despite being "smart enough to know better." In my own case, yes I had rejected Christianity by age 20, in large part out of recognition of how dishonest, hypocritical and hateful its anti-LGBT teachings have been, and yet I was still afraid to out myself, afraid of what I might lose, and afraid of loved ones and casual acquaintances alike possibly judging me as dishonest for having presented myself as straight. Add to that my strong desire to be a parent and that back then NO ONE expected gay men to be granted any rights, let alone opportunity, to be parents, AND the chilling fear of the AIDS epidemic that, back then in the late 80s was both a sweeping invitation for straight America to further smear gay men AND made the argument that to be an active gay man was to embrace a 90% chance of dying very young and doing so while ostracized by society. All these layers of threat conspired to motivate me to see if I could "function sexually with a woman, which I found I could, and then to convince myself for quite some time that I was "straight enough." Bleh.

For me, as for many others who see their marriages end, we can choose to look at those years as lost time or as one more chapter of our lives that, though we wouldn't choose to do it again, still taught something and gave us some positives as well as negatives. I have a terrific kid who never would have been born otherwise, and his mom and I remain friends (she is very progressive) and are finding coparenting pretty positive. Btw, we have dinner together most Thursdays and watch Will & Grace around it. ...Naturally. 😉

You be who you are and who you want to be, they can't judge you! Be happy with who you want!

Interesting.

I spent fifteen years in various forms of reparative therapy, and I never saw a success case. In fact, they had to change the rules of success so many times because people were starting to burn out. Still, it ruins families and the people exposed to those tactics.

Wow! I would like to hear more about that experience sometime. I never went through anything like that. I am aware of Exodus International and similar "ex-gay" movements. Have you seen the documentary "One Nation Under God?" It is all about that horrendous movement and its mix of lies and self-delusion.

omg, @Benthoven, that's mortifying! Pardon me if this is too intrusive: were you in therapy as a minor?

Yes, but it was counseling, and not as intrusive as so many other forms.

Do you have children?

Yes, one. He is 14. He was a significant reason for me staying so long. Another was her painfully protracted career as a college student with inadequate income, as I knew my social worker salary was also not enough to support both myself and alimony and child support. (Two full and separate consecutive masters programs, followed by 11 years in a PhD program before finally getting her PhD in 2011) Plus, since neither of us ever cheated on the other, there was never a catalytic moment to upset the apple cart. It was a very slow process.

I believe we are given challenges - that life's a school for strengthening our souls. I believe the challenge is to be YOU and to celebrate being YOU. I agree with your statement about religion and am sorry for 25 years...but there is so much life to come. I left a terrible marriage after 25 years and my life began. I have had so much life since then. Guess what. I finally married my soul mate at age 79. I had 5 glorious years that made my whole life have meaning. Live and be you!!

For sure be true to yourself

sorry you worked so hard for all that time

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20208
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.