Agnostic.com

5 1

How likely?

Is it likely that mankind, through science, will discover whether there is a God before mankind disappears from the Earth due to evolution or some kind of catastrophe? Remember, 98% of all species that ever lived have disappeared. (sorry for the run-on sentence)

• 2 votes
  • 13 votes
Grecio 7 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

as soon as we find the toothfairy

why would that be science's purview? what has it got to do science? and why would mankind disappear due to evolution? man will kill himself and the planet; that's not evolution. the dinosaurs' disappearance wasn't evolution either.

g

I think I mentioned a catastrophe. There is some theory that mankind will eventually evolve into cyborgs and possibly into robots so that people are no longer needed because robots can do many jobs better than humans. (sorry for the run-on).

@Grecio you mentioned evolution too, and humans do not evolve into machines. that just does not happen.

g

I do not think that science can determine the answer to such a question, nor is that its function.

In the long run, that is a goal of science. If we discover whether there is or isn't a God, we will probably discover along the way the "Theory of Everything". Discovery of the " God particle".

@Grecio Well, if you are right, then the question needs to be rephrased so that we know what we are trying to establish. How would we even know when we had found god, or disproved its existence, unless we know precisely what it is?

Pretty sure Judas & Hitler will be passing out ice skates & parkas before that happens.

Can't discover something that doesn't exist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:203736
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.