Agnostic.com

17 7

End of the world

What strange end-of-the-world scenarios do you believe? I believe the earth and nature are our life support system. When the earth can no longer maintain human life , she will simply rid herself of humans. I also believe Extinction is inevitable for all dominant species.

Kojaksmom 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why is there such a passionate desire to end? "Rage. Rage against the dying of the light". Nature is no longer our playground. It is time to take the reigns and force the fates to our will.

Humans will see the end of societies and civilisations,
Lifekind will outlive humans
the planet will continue when all life has perished
finally the planet will cease to be.
I do foresee the end of our lifestyles, and quite soon,
probably within my lifetime,
we are already seeing the beginnings of the changes,
guess I was lucky to grow up in a time of relative stability.

As an Atheist I have zero beliefs of any kind

Disaster planning is in place some sensible some sinister by government and oligarchs alike ....the movie RAPTURE with David Duchovny and Mimi Rodgers is an exploration of paranoia and coincidence the insane religious live for

I've always liked the idea of the rapture. Not because I believe it will happen or if it did that I would be raptured. I like it because of all the space it will clear up and that no one would be knocking on my door at 8am wanting to share the good news.

I agree with you. I think the Earth is tougher than we give her credit for. I've head a lot of people talk about humanity causing the end of the world...bullshit. The human race is a bad case of acne on the face of the planet and nothing more. We can't end the world. We can make it uninhabitable for ourselves, but our planet will be here long after humanity is gone.

Both the earth and the human species will be destroyed.. The only question is how.

I've read that over 99% of all species that ever lived are extinct now. The evidence indicates life in the known universe is experimental. I wonder where we got the idea of eternity anyway? We are playing with the controls of a machine we don't understand - mass extinctions happen without warning - a degree here, a few percent less oxygen and more methane - who knows. If the oceans heat up too much and the thermo-haline circulation cuts off, we could see an ice age in Europe and Eastern N. America accompanied by methyl hydrates melting on the bottom of the ocean in the tropics resulting in the formation of vast explosive methane clouds. The future will be a blast!

jeffy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Eventually Earth will be hit by a comet. If it falls in from the Ort cloud we will not have but a few months to prepare. That has the real possiblity of becoming a civilization ending and even Human extinction event. This is very unlikely and nothing of this magnitude is likely for 10's of millions of years.

Anthropogenic Global Warming will likely not be a human extinction or civilization ending event but it certainly could be quite stressful even killing billions. Other shocks due to over population are also extremely likely. If we can't use our intelligence to solve these issues we are in for some big problems and maybe extinction. I really can't predict.

Humans' days are numbered. The only question is the value of that number. Most any "doomsday" scenario will cause the extinction of humans as we know them, but even some of those could give rise to "Human 2.0" so to speak (or whatever you consider our current version number to be, plus 1.) In almost all doomsday scenarios, the "end of the world" (EOW) won't happen. Just the end of humans and, most likely, a majority of other species as well.

True EOW scenarios include, of course, the death of the Sun, collision between Earth and a rogue planet or star, or some other occurrence so cataclysmic as to smash Earth to smithereens or cause its absorption into another celestial body. If Earth still exists when it happens, surely Andromeda colliding with The Milky Way could be problematic. Of course, humans would be long gone by the time that happens.

What do I think is most likely to happen with humans? I think the most likely human extinction probability is that the process of evolution leads to our being replaced with Human 2.0. Exactly how it happens is impossible to say, but it will probably take several millennia to complete the process. Human 2.0 of the future will probably look upon Homo sapiens sapiens much like we currently look upon the Neanderthals -- recognizing that they are an ancient form from which we developed, but considering them to be primitive. Like them, at some point there will be no more of us left, just the new model.

Actually there is no known danger when Amdromeda absorbs the Milky Way, as the distantances between stars, due to our place within it, is so enormous that any collisions with other stars is Highly unlikely.
But good luck to the stars at or nearer the the central plane..

I believe when the sun goes out Earth will become a cold rock in space

dc65 Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

I think the sun will actually expand to near the orbit of earth and heat it up a bit first

@jeffy maybe that is what's happening now global warming climate change LOL

Actually..when the sun enters into its Red Giant phase..the earth will be absorbed Into it's Photosphere..

@Charlene you continue to blind me with science

@btroje that's my plan bt...

ok, so we're doomed. The end of the world is a done deal. So I leave you with this reminder. Keep in mind what your mother always told you. Make sure you wear clean underwear. Be prepared.

I don’t believe in any scenarios. However, asteroids could destroy humanity. That’s at least real. What’s more likely, though, is that a virus will develope that we can’t deal with.

now you've got it right we have viruses that have developed now that can eat certain kinds of plastic materials. That's evolution at work, I've never done any research on new viruses and bacteria that can eat plastic..

The Earth has been around for billions of years. I suspect it will be around for billions more, but not so for humans. The following timeline puts it all into perspective. It's mind boggling!

Thank goodness we want be around for that... well I hope not... my wife and I already have an easy way out so we want suffer. I predict a solar wave because the breakdown of our shield around the earth. Or an asteroid...

What you say is a likely scenario for the end of human life, but NOT the end of the world.

Thank fuck for that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20402
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.