Agnostic.com

4 0

Getting a Real Education.

Why do you think evolution is not taught in public schools starting at a young age?? I mean it's factual and answers many questions. Wouldn't it be better to know scientific facts than blind faith?? Do you think it's a threat to most religions and they would rather just ignore the facts and keep their children's heads in the sand? How can this be a good education?

2muchstupidity 6 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

evolution is a rather complicated concept; look how many people think it means we were descended from monkeys (that's not quite it) and don't realize evolution is ongoing. little kids don't have a good grasp, either, on the concept of chance, or the difference between chance, randomness and accidents (that last having a negative connotation). they need to learn those terms and concepts before evolution is intellectually available to them. very tiny little bits of it certainly could be imparted along the way. for me the bigger concern is not that it's not taught early enough but rather that it's not taught at all in some schools, and that in some schools creationism is taught in science class. i am much less concerned about whether science of this sort is taught when a kid is six or 11 than what else is going into that kid's head, and whether evolution makes it onto the curriculum at all.

g

True but kids are taught about burning in hell if you're not a Christian at a very young age as I was. I used to worry about that and people I loved. It was a huge burden for a little kid.
You would be surprised what children can grasp and understand.

@2muchstupidity not all kids. only some christian kids. not even all christian kids. i would not be surprised at what children can grasp and understand because 1. i was once a kid, 2. i have been a teacher and 2. i know kids. i don't understand the "but" in your response; you appear to be expanding on what i said (and thus agreeing with me) except for that last sentence.

g

I already knew about it before I learned in school. Can't remember when it was introduced though. Sadly, some states are trying to ban it.

Carin Level 8 Oct 21, 2018

I did the vast amount of study on evolution on my own and in college. I am finishing up my undergraduate degree in biology and planning on teaching science in public schools. I plan to put a good amount of time devoted to evolution. Going through public schools growing up evolution got a very short amount of time devoted to it.

Yup, It's not good education. Better to have them follow blindly the dogma. It's easier to control the masses. No critical thinking allowed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:205367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.