Agnostic.com

48 8

Is the world becoming more atheist?

I was under the impression that this would be the case since we are more connected and everything however recently when watching the news on elections around the world and events happening I find there is still a significant portion of people with beliefs and not only that but the old fashioned conservative view even on atheists I know and I'm no longer sure if the correlation of atheists increasing with time is real

jonnylou 3 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't and won't speak for the world, but I am about as A-theist as one can get.

There is no mention of God in the American Constitution. Christianity is currently dying in Europe and the US may gradually follow suit. Still US has the largest Christians population in the world and congress is 99℅ Judeo/Christians. That has alot of influence on how they think. Look at Brazil the second highest population of Christians. The corruption and lack of trust of each other, is out of control.

The poorest countries of the world reach for religion, because the poor go for God. Religion itself thrives in places, individualism fails. That’s the real clash of civilisations.

Poverty and the natural environment are the greatest killers on the Planet. Religion dose not care much for neither. Like sheep, no brain/it is replace by comfortable numbness.

I can tell you that I've been an Atheist since the 60s and without a doubt, Atheism is on the rise, and if you are willing to give it 50 years you will see a dramatic increase from today. That is assuming we get through Donald Trumps term in office of course 😉

Didn't the Pope say Trump was not a Christian. Still would want the most embarrassing ass out.

@Castlepaloma I want them both out, the Pope and Trump.

@paul1967
LOL
Pope was Times
Man of the Year.
He sounds more atheist than any other Pope before him. A believer in the Big Bang, Evolution, Aliens are our Savior, Hell dose not exist and dogs go to heaven.

Pope has a dead end job and Trump need a metal hospital.

I had hoped but around 2015 I started noticing the rise of right wing politics , I also started to notice the rise in skepticism in science, the hostility towards unwanted facts and the rise in influence of religious organizations. It feels like we're falling into a dark age, the groups and people coming into power seem to abhor atheism and secularism ( i.e Trump/Pence,Right-Wing Republicans, Law and Order in Poland, etc ) I hope this isn't a long term trend but it is a current trend globally.

Out of closet atheism: yes, it is growing.
Fundamentalist religions : yes its growing too
My opinion. The average level of religiosity is almost the same, but the standard deviation is growing.

The dumbing down of America is pushing back against rational thought. Religion isn’t going away and we probably won’t properly address climate change. A species self aware enough to know they are destroying the planet and do it anyway is not one that benefits from having a big fucking brain!

Religion is being used as a political tool to justify actions. trump, for example, is the furthest from a religious person you will ever meet, yet he clings onto Christianity to appease his base.

For leaders, religion is more about power than it is belief.

A simple Google search would answer this. Yes.

The US is more religious today than in 1950's. Or so it seems to me. People went to church, but still used common sense to vote. Today they use religion as a reason to vote.

If you look at results of American polling, the fastest growing group is the "nones" - people who say they don't have a religion. Seems like many (most?) of the newbies are "spiritual but not religious" types. They can't buy the organized varieties, but can't let go of the idea of a sky daddy. Also, Trump has led an uptick in the influence of the kooky evangelical class.

I hope it continues to rise, just to further USA's founding dream... "separate from church and state". If you are of a faith, that's fine, but stop imposing your faith based opinions/"morals" on to others who are not. The very conservative Christians in US who cling to the constitution need to truly read it if they are honoring this nation...we wanted a secularist nation. So, if Athiest and Agnostic outlooks are on the rise to facilitate the advocacy of science and secularism...
Then I find that to be more like the American Dream than any other belief at the moment.

I also realize this is a broad strokes response, but you know what I am getting at.

Here in Oklahoma there are quite a few closet atheist but very few openly atheist people. We may be becoming more atheist but it is a very slow process. Even though I don’t agree with the religous about they’re religion most of the religous people I know are a lot better people than the left wing liberals I know.

It's quite simple. Forget about the US perspective since its just a abut 4.5% of the world population. The regions in the world where population is growing is the poorer nations like all over Africa and south America as well as India plus Indonesia and more - where religion is growing. The more atheist areas like Northern Europe are not growing as fast or even contracting. So yes- the world is becoming more religious.

Stig Level 5 Oct 24, 2018

let us hope we are increasing.

I do not think the world is becoming more non-religious, aethist. But it is becoming more separated, radical, between the two groups of believers and non believers

That's a good question

But this is not a good answer

In some parts of the world it is growing more strongly than others. But I think you are right, Christianity in particular is going.

Hope that's not why it's going to hell!

Atheist are not growing that fast.
Although, non believers is the fastest growing group in the world today.

It would be most likely for the better

There has been a lot of atheist all along. Its so many don't want to rock the boat so they lie and go along with the lies. The rich love it because they can control the sheep easier with it!

I fucking hope so!!!!

As I understand it the West is becoming more non-believing, but religion is actually on the rise in some parts. Hopefully it's just a case of education in the areas where people are willing to believe in fairytales.

As the world becomes more wealthy it becomes better educated. The end result of that should not be considered surprising.

If you look at the statistics on religion from Pew Research Center, the "nones' are rising, but so are the Evangelicals. Mainline Protestants are losing numbers. It's like religious polarization in the U.S. is similar to the political polarization.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 2, 2018

Most people seem to have an innate desire to believe in...something. Have you noticed how many agnostic/atheists on this site have simply transferred their belief to some other form of spirituality? Have you heard about the God gene VMAT2? I don't think the atheist utopia will ever be realized on earth unless we fundamentally change (evolve) as a species.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:205939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.