Agnostic.com

12 3

Do you have a (relationship with your) car? mine is pretty new - the relationship, not the car. I used to hitchhike around the shire & beyond for 3 years before deciding that I'd very much like the extra freedom that driving my own car would afford me. she was cheap, which suited my tiny budget, & old (1990) with low mileage. I just love the fact that it's small, thus easy to park, & that this model you don't see every day any more, without being flashy in any way. her name is Liberty 🙂

walklightly 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a 1993 Ford Festiva . I put over 330K miles on it , & when it didn't pass inspection due to reliable parts that could not be found , I gave it to the local votech school for students to learn auto repair . It was the only one they had that still ran .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

sounds to me like organ donation for research purposes ... oops! no, she was still breathing, right? 😉 my 323 mazda does, at 28 years of age, not even have 100k miles on the clock.

I have an 11 year old red Toyota Rav4. My ex always wanted to buy new cars, his folks bought a new car every other year, and the older cars ended up as cars for grandkids to drive as they got to be teenagers and got their license. They almost always had Chevy Citations or the like. After we had kids I persuaded the ex that we needed a minivan, and we had 3 Chrysler Voyagers in 18 years. When the kids were leaving home he thought the last Voyager was getting old and after test driving every smaller SUV, I chose the Rav4. I kept the Rav after the divorce. The youngest named it Elmo. Elmo has a sunroof which I love. Elmo is also paid for, which I love. I have told the kids that when they think I should stop driving they will likely have to pry Elmo's keys out of my cold dead hands.

My relationship with my car is more like a co-dependency

Can't be much since I just told my son this week... move the registration from florida to nevada, here the electronic title, register the car on your name. I sold it to you for a dollar. Once I go back I figure getting another or buying it back. I don't get possessive of what I own. I am a bad capitalist. I used to give them theme songs... from "broken wings" to "beds are burning".

... & singing to them? i love singing while driving: bold & unrestrained.

@walklightly Cool. Let it rip.

I am not much of a car person, when I had company cars my kids would name them by the letter in the number plate. I call my current vehicle "beast" because it is slow an awkward, steers like a cow. I shouldn't complain it cost me 1/2 as much as the car I went in to buy, have had it 11 of its 13 years and it has never broken down or cost me anything in repairs, new tyres and battery year before last, still original brake pads and I can make it from Tweed to Mackay well over 1000 klms on a single tank fully loaded. I only fill up a few times a year. I bought it when I bought some acreage down the coast a bit so wanted something to carry building and farm materials. Would lose too much if I sold it.

Yes. Her name should be obvious. 🙂

(Photos seem not to be working today, but the license plate reads "DAIZY" if it ever shows up)

Source:

now this gets one of my rare WOW!s. so, WOW! nice colour too.

Nice!

She is on her third engine since I bought her used a project car a few years ago. I think the current one is a keeper.

Current build
RHS tall deck block built as 502 ci (8.2 liter) LS7
Billet crank and rods (yes, billet not forged)
400+ CFM six bolt heads by Texas Speed
Crankcase vacuum pump ala NASCAR
Carbon fiber drive shaft
Multi disc race clutch

Under the hood, the ONLY factory items are the fuse box, brake systems, and accessory brackets. No hose, no radiator, no anything from the factory setup is in the actual driveline until you reach the transaxle. (of course, that already has a planned upgrade too) Even the accessory brackets are heavily modified to fit that RHS block.

Someone will get this car in my will when I die. (not kidding)

She makes about the same power of the new ZR1 but is more than 500 lbs lighter and has a much better suspension. (Custom valved Billsteins coil overs with Hypercoil springs)

The phrase "racecar on the street" tends to be used a lot. It's no hyperbole in this case.

I am a total gearhead, what do you think? ha ha. What is it you are driving there?

it's a 323 mazda 1990.

Nope.

I have a van! I need it to transport my motorbike to race meetings.

No names, but I do have a relationship with my bikes.

My ex wanted to name all of my vehicles. Maybe that's why she's my ex, ha ha. No, those are just tools. Like a hammer. They don't need to be personified.

what!? you didn't name your hammer Sarah? 😉

@walklightly Afraid not. I'd never hit a lady!

😀 @farmboy2017, fair enough. yet people name their boats & yachts, finding that totally normal...

@walklightly His Majesty's Hammer, Sarah. I'd paint it across her stern. Where's the stern on a hammer, ha ha🙂🙂

L 😀 L @farmboy2017

I gave up anthropomorphizing my machines some time ago.
It lead me to spend far too much money on old machines as if they were a friend, loyal, trustworthy etc. They can be most handy, But it has to be a pure cost/benefit "relationship" for me from now on.

I call her The Yellow Wife.

Yeah, it's a love hate sorta thing. Needed it when I had the property and all wheel drive came in handy in winter - did not have to be out in the cold puttin on chains just to get up my drive. Sold the property, moved into the city, ride my bike and dislike all wheel drive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.