Agnostic.com

19 2

Why does a large core component of the Black community still cling to the religion of their former slave owners?

For nearly 300 years slaves were brought to the US and were stripped of their cultural heritages and religions. They were infected with christianity as the only spiritual outlet available to them. As they sang their spirituals their white masters sat in church worshipping the same god and using the babble to justify their supposed superiority. Why, upon their emancipation, did Blacks not simultaneously throw off this other yoke of racist christianity? Why are they so fervent to this day?

GareBear517 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As an agnostic and a Unitarian I appreciate fellowships and churches. Very often times they serve as a wonderful support system for people. I've also noticed many African Americans are deeply religious. It's not easy being a minority. Perhaps the church offers the feeling of hope in a ,so often, hopeless world.

That's really not surprising. White Americans who immigrated from Europe still follow the religion that was forced on their ancestors as well, but they've been doing it for far longer.

JimG Level 8 Nov 14, 2017

I think is because most of us are scared they won't get into heaven and a lot of us don't have the courage to exercise our ability to think for ourselves expesialy when it goes against what has been taught to us since birth.I personally only know one other guy that is black and agnostic like myself everyone else is somewhat brainwashed .

I've heard from a few black people on this topic. Hope you make some connections!

Great discussion.
In Africa the situation is similar. Denizens were introduced to religion by colonial masters whose main pretense "La mission civilisatrice" (the civilization mission) disguised their real intent: plunder.
The reasons given for religion's grip over the Black community in earlier posts by more savvy members are all valid. I personally shunned religion out of laziness, but it was always there, waiting for me. I later went to church for the girls and when the fear of death became real, I quickly baptized. I became a good preacher, filling up church seats more than the pastor! A flimsy knowledge of psychology, some theater techniques, a clean appearance and voila!
Paradoxically, it was my constant search for meaning in the Bible that alienated me from the christian faith.
Maybe we have to approach this question from the perspective that religion is dangerous, especially in the case of Black Africa. The level of intolerance and condescension I go thru on a daily basis is unbelievable.
Religion does not have the same historical relevance in the African community as it does in the African American community, yet the effects are similar. I also don't think the more Blacks are educated the easier it will be to solve the problem.
I have also noticed that Latinos tend to exhibit the same attachment tendencies to religion as Blacks. Can anyone throw light on this?

Thank you for the more global insight! I hadn't thought of the similarities in Africa. When the religious suspend critical thinking no matter what their color historical context is the baby that gets thrown out with the bath water.

Being black myself, I often wondered the same thing. Generations of indoctrination is the usual explanation, but after reading the passages in the bible about slavery, how can one not be disgusted? Whenever confronted with these passages from the bible I'm shocked to hear the ridiculous justifications.

Willful ignorance is color blind.

I agree with you some of the justification is I hear are absolutely crazy and I just look at them,And think can you hear what you are saying lol

This is a really good question, i often wonder this myself.
I think part of it is there in denial of what the book really say because they brainwashing since birth. One can also say that it was all they had after being release from slavery...
I would love to know the answer to this question.

I'm a little surprised to find this phenomenon is as little understood by black ant-theists as it is by me. But then, there are a thousand reasons why nobody, regardless of racial origin, should "cling to the old rugged cross" but they do. I just think that slavery would be a line no one would cross, certainly not those who suffered under it.

I've always wondered that, and I can't come up w/an answer except for a deep indoctrination that goes back hundreds of years. I've actually asked this of my college students who are mostly black and Latino, and I never get a clear-cut answer from them, even when I stress the fact that the bible demeans people of color at every turn. They just choose not to see it because they've never been taught logical thinking, and they think evolution is made up. It's a sorry state of affairs in college classrooms these days.

It's a sorry state of affairs in all classrooms these days. You're just at the receiving end of the production line turning out uneducated idiots who have never learned to think. And the ones in your college classroom are the cream of the crop!

!

First, why don't I see more answers from actual Black people?
Second, why does anyone do anything? Because they are taught.
Third, the Black Christian church served some incredibly important functions in the community for most of our history in this wonderful country. Churches are where we learned to read, traded information, made deals, found lovers and friends, and met with business associates. More than a house of worship, the traditional Black church is a community center.
Fourth, fear. White people are historically very talented at subjugating brown populations with fear. When my ancestors were forced to take the white man's gods above their own, they did it with a sword pressed against their necks. This fear was, naturally, passed down to their descendants through words, actions, and traumatic responses that I believe are passed down through genetic code. Add a dash of everlasting damnation, and it's hard to move on to different ideologies, even if they make more sense and are healthier for you.
I was raised by lip-service Christian parents. They didn't go to church or read the Bible, but they had been inculcated from the womb to praise Jesus in speech, if not in actions. From an early age, I found myself attracted to more animistic modes of thought. Ooooohhh the fights! The tears of holy sorrow my mother wept when she found the small altar I built in my bedroom closet. I was evil. I was possessed. I was stupid. I was just plain wrong. Even still, I eventually managed to break free of my need for a Great Sky Daddy. But it's tough, and I don't look down on my brethren who still need that. I understand the pain involved in rebirthing your spirituality from 400 years of darkness.

I was so glad to see your insightful response! As far as I know you are only the second person of color who has made their thoughts known. But that is emblematic of the problem. I learned in the first response that there is a slowly evolving movement rejecting religion in the black community but from what I know of the current active membership on this site they have yet to appear in large numbers in atheist circles.
I understand the central role that churches have played in all communities in America historically as community centers fostering a sense of belonging by offering recreation, fellowship and even charity and welfare benefits to their members and that this sense of belonging was especially important to a community ostracized from the larger society. It has also proved to be a hook by which the church has lured people to their fold and retained them. Though I think the days of blatant terrorism are in the past fear also plays a role. But more a fear of being alone in a hostile world and the need to be where there is safety in numbers. Stepping away is an act of heroism for many people and I am glad you found a path by which you could walk away. My parents were "lip-service Christians" also but religiously (no pun intended) dumped us three kids off in front of a church every Sunday. I was all in until I was able to break away from them when I attended college in a distant state. I certainly don't judge anyone of any ethnicity who still need whatever it is they take away from religion. But neither will I step on eggshells when I interact with them.
Thank you for your articulate response!

You said that so well.

thank you.

Thank you both,Dyvynyty and Garebear517. I so appreciate both of your responses. They were thoughtful, articulate and enlightening. It is so important to hear the views of those who are directly involved in the circumstances being discussed. Thank you both for your contributions.

I believe the major reason the Black community still clings to religion is the lack of advanced education. The educational system in the US has aimed to keep black people out of higher institutions of learning starting by limiting their education in the public school system that only teaches you how to stay within the lines and conform rather than to think critically. Where is the encouragement to advance? If many families are working several jobs just to survive just paying the bills is a major effort. Where is the opportunity when there is no money? When they qualified for money to go to school the white community claimed discrimination because they claimed unfair treatment. WTF. Every step forward has two to three steps back. Conformity and staying subordinate is what minorities get so that that the majority can be maintained and stay in power.

Churches offer community, camaraderie, hope and family. You can go to church and be happy for a little while and maybe experience some joy. The more educated an ethnic group gets the more they tend to reject religion. All the churches around the world especially the catholic ones are full to overflowing of poor people. The church offers hope but of course at a huge price that they're willing to pay because they don't know any better.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

I have no doubt that education play a key role in the subjugation of minorities and much is made of it. But it is also known that many gifted teachers gravitate to the worst performing schools to attempt to remedy that situation. Every city has a library and internet connections are becoming universal in even the poorest of communities. Every kid has a smartphone even if they can't afford to eat without government assistance. But do they use them to download and read great literature or to satisfy a curiosity about some branch of science? I think the problem is heavily weighted by an anti-intellectual bias in the community and peer pressure NOT to ascend the socio-economic ladder because it puts a lie to myth that no one can escape the "oppressive racism" that keep them down. I have seen this dynamic at work among the "local" population in Hawaii. Anyone who pursues a good job there is shunned by his friends and even his family and deemed a sell-out to the haoles.

I think it is true that many black people AND people who live in, or close to poverty, are more likely to stay with religion. They are the ones who buy the bulk of lottery tickets and for the same reason. The have to cling to something because there is so little opportunity to improve their economic situation so they cling to the hope that god will intervene on their behalf or that they will win the lottery and their prayers will all be answered.

Similarly, there are more atheists among college educated people. The ability to get an education and the opportunities to broaden one's perspective by education means people are more likely to exposed to people who think differently and who eschew the fantasy of god.

We have talked about why there are far fewer women in atheist groups. One theory was that they are home caring for children and we should provide babysitting services for them. As a feminist, I don't exactly buy that because father's can parent (they don't babysit their own children) and give the mom a chance to get out and socialize. But again, I think women have been held down for so long that they too often cling to the hope that a deity could provide for them and take care of them. I also think they (more than men until the last 50 years) feel the responsibility of teaching their children morals and values and what better place and way to do that than at church just as they were taught. Again, college educated women are less likely to turn to religion for those lessons and more likely to be atheists than not. Not that it's a tsunami of atheist--more like a gently rising tide.

I have a black friend ( one of many) who is an atheist who asks this question all the time. We have the same opinion. Generational Indoctrination

Kind of like child abuse. Passed from one generation to the next.

It is "the curse of culture" -- once beliefs, practices, and behaviors become a part of a culture, they channel and limit that which follows. If you can find it, read a brilliant opinion piece by Paul Bohannon, anthropologist.

If true, how sad!

Zorro Level 4 Oct 23, 2017

What "religion" would be appropriate with which to replace it? Of course, as a white American male I would have very little to offer of relevance. Good luck with your inquiry.

Uh. We could start with the "religion" of Science and Reason.

That is the "religion" to which I adhere. As for your original question, I suppose 2 things. People that are oppressed/enslaved might adopt the religion of their oppressors because they are forced to do so and or because if the dominant culture worships it then it represents the religion that is "superior". Once indoctrinated it is difficult to break away from Christianity. God is pretty effing scary.

It is sort of 'stockholm syndrome' where the captors end up falling in love with or joining the group that captured them. The brain washing is so intense and the hope that religion offers up is so beguiling when life on earth for a slave was beyond shocking, that it allows the myth to persist and even flourish within the black community, somehow that Jesus and god even delivered them from slavery (oops, he was also the one to put you in it and even wrote at length about it in his guide to slavery - the bible). So it is hardly surprising the black community has a large muslim following, but even better if they got rid of all the BS and became atheists.

Now, someone who makes sense!

It is a matter of as their ancestors were forced to accept new beliefs, what was considered "normal" for blacks and their descendants changed. Add that to the concept that the nail that sticks out get hammered, and they developed a culture of conformity.

The native populations of Mexico and South America were converted at the point of a gun or canon, yet they cling to the religious beliefs of those who conquered them as well, for many of the same reasons. The sense of normality changed and those that didn't conform might have gotten killed.

habit and history. in the past the only social outlet accepted/allowed was church!

mzee Level 7 Oct 23, 2017

Was that not also true for the white mainstream?

no. it is my understanding that when slavery was allowed in the usa, social outlets were very restricted other than church

As an African American and an ex-Christian myself, The manipulation goes much deeper than you would think. Much of it isn't just wanting to cling to something much of it is fear. Christian wasn't taught friendly but it was beaten, burned and forced onto Africans. It was convert or die and not showing proper amounts of faith punishment was brought down onto them that was not only damaging to the victim but traumatizing for bystanders. Parents drilled it into children out of fear aand made it basically traditional to force it onto their children cause not being a Christian could result in death. They would rather beat christianity into their own kids rather than see them burned or hung for not being a christian. Long lasting effects of this type of trama didn't just disappear. It was literally mass manipulation. Generation after generation basically hypnotized under the idea the only and only mercy they were going to get in life was in death under God. This sort of mental stain isn't removed. This is part of the exact reason I let go of Christianity and the black atheist is becoming more common than you would think, slower than other populations maybe but it is growing.

Thank you for your invaluable input! I am glad that you have broken the chains of history and heartened to know there is a growing community of Black atheists!

Religion was beaten, burnt, & forced onto european people too. Constantine decided christianity would be the most advantageous religion for his position in the roman empire, so people had to convert. Many of my pagan ancestors in England were burnt at the stake and killed if they didn't comply. So it goes with all religions in the beginning, until the brainwashing does the work for them.

I appreciate this question. I, too, wish African Americans would reject Christianity as it was the faith of their oppressors. But to your question itself -- I think they have held to it more strongly than we would wish because the Old Testament narrative of Exodus, the return from Babylonian Exile, and the divine promise of deliverance from oppression into heaven all spoke profoundly to the community while they were enslaved. So when some of those promises seemed to be coming true, then it would hardly be the time to abandon the faith.

Interesting point. They relate to the biblical narrative because culturally they shared a similar experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2075
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.