Agnostic.com

13 1

Dating more than one person

Is it cheating if you date more than one person at a time? I have only dated one and can’t get my head around dating more.

SteveCambs 3 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No if you both have agree to have an open relationship. In my case I can’t date more than 1 at the same time. Bloody complicated.

It's cheating when you both have agreed to be exclusive. So that means dating or marriage.

If you do not have an agreement to date exclusively, or you have an agreement that allows dating others, then it is not cheating.

Like most have said, it's cheating only if you have agreed to a monogamous relationship with someone. Simply dating multiple people, not having committed to any particular one to be exclusive, is perfectly fine.

That said, cheating is not in my vocabulary, EVER, because I would never agree to any monogamous relationship.

To me, marriage is the place for exclusivity; dating is the place for non-exclusivity; and both are places for honesty.

skado Level 9 Oct 24, 2018

In my 20s, I decided dating more than one person at a time is crazy-making for all involved. Although I was open about it, both men were jealous and wanted more of my time.

While I was in graduate school and working full time, they inevitably pressured me during finals week.

"Hold that thought," I replied. "This is finals week. Give me a week, and I can talk about it."

It was maddening. So I downshifted to dating one man at a time. This works better for me.

I dated three women at once in the 70's. Since they all had jobs, and wanted to go out on Friday or Saturday, l was one day short. It was difficult.

Until there's a ring or a declaration that you're only seeing each other and it's a bf/gf/gfgf/bfbf thing technically can't be called cheating.
That means if I'm seeing someone and there is no discussion of a designation of any sort everything is still free range.
Would I discuss others I'm seeing? NO. But assume that's a thing until see above.

It's not cheating unless and until you have agreed to be mutually exclusive....then, anything outside of that IS infidelity.

On the same day?

I date a fair bit but definitely not having sex with people. I’m in the “getting to know you” phase. I’m always open and honest with everyone I meet and date.

Unless you have agreed to be monogamous, there’s no problem with getting to know a few people at once.

UUNJ Level 8 Oct 24, 2018

I tried it once a long time ago & it just felt awkward, even though neither were committed relationships. I assume it's not cheating if both relationships are casual, but I just didn't like how it felt.

Carin Level 8 Oct 24, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:207552
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.