Agnostic.com

9 6

Why white people don't get to use the N-word

Ta-Nehisi Coates offers a very cogent explanation in this viral video.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As far as I am aware the only person who can use this word is Chris Rock, and I appreciate his definition.

Is the issue more that you (i.e. everyone) are worried about upsetting me if you say this word?

Buxx Level 7 Oct 24, 2018

I see where he's coming from but it's still the context that matters the most. I watched the movie Blazing Saddles the other night where it's used dozens of times and within the context it didn't come off as offensive at all........

You and I should watch Blazing Saddles together and laugh without shame.

It's sad that anyone has to be told this. I'd've thought the reason was obvious.

I don't agree with Ta-Nehisi Coates. Tremendous respect but strongly disagree. Frankly, I am more offended by people insisting on calling it "the N-word" than saying "nigger". I personally don't say it much, but don't care much when I hear it. It always the context that matters.

Buxx Level 7 Oct 24, 2018

i already know why white people don't get to use the n-word. what i don't understand is why any white person (or any person at all, come to think of it) would WANT to use the n-word.

g

Very well expressed and relatable. I used to love the show Picket Fences and remember an episode in which a white character tried to adopt black culture and the way the material was presented, it almost had a 1st person feel and the awkwardness was nearly palpable - just like this man explained.

Thank you for posting this. He doesn’t use the word “privilege” per se, but he does say white people believe they have a right to everything, it’s the culture we’re born into. I like how he breaks it down to very fundamental social interactions that we normally understand and adhere to.

I thought this was a question at first and clicked just to come see the fireworks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:207673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.