Agnostic.com

16 1

What Are Your Thoughts On "Smart Buddhist Prayer Beads ?"

I can’t decide if this is brilliant innovation or the perpetuation of a harmful delusion.
There are now “smart” versions of Buddhist prayer beads that connect to your phone so that you can focus on saying a mantra instead of mentally keeping track of how many times you’ve said it.
The smart product looks just like traditional Buddhist prayer beads except that one of the beads has an embedded chip which can connect with the user’s smartphone and show the number of times a mantra is recited on the mobile app.
Also, the app has a function to transfer merits to friends and family members, enabling the user to use the social network to share the love of Buddha.

Dougy 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion united with technology. Fascinating. I have a feeling this will lead to more experience based technologies, meaning that there will be ways developed in which a person can get the same experience without having to chant the mantra. And people will be rushing to download the feeling of a devout Buddhist with a sense of accomplishment.

Religion & Technology , I remember posting about a god computer being developed by Elon Musk or someone . It was on Inverse.com

More crap

Just like a Fit Bit: overhyped and unnecessary.

Don't worry about keeping track of the thing. Just do the thing.

In this case, pawning a mental function off onto a device is arguably an anti-Buddhist thing to do...

So you can keep track of your mindfulness without thinking about it

😀

For some reason the term "wank" keeps popping into my head followed by the word "rort"

P.T.Barnum, always right!

a sucker born every minute !

I won't be springing for it, I don't need another way to measure my inadequacy nor do I need another dang thang to keep track of.

One more thing to spend money on in order to "keep up with the Jones."

Strange for a religion that's about eschewing material possessions. Must be hipster buddhism.

Exactly what I was thinking.

this is a mockery, my son is a 7th grade in Shaolin Kung Fu, and they only obtain credence through devotion. Buddhism is NOT a religion

No, it's not. Even Christians can be Buddhists. I know I'm not alone here in embracing the philosdophy.

"A fool and his money are soon parted".

I'm inclined to think that the smart fone mantra counter is a bit of a rip off. I can't agree that chanting something a number of times is the same as doing it never.
A lot of what Buddhism is about is to conciously change the way we think and behave. Think of all the advertising jingles (mantras?) you know. Companies have spent crazy amounts of time and effort to try and get them into your brain.
' Coke. It's the... ' 'Dr Pepper. What's the worst....' -who didn't finish those slogans off in their head? 🙂
I chant (in english) most morning's. It's not like prayer. I'm not talking to something outside of myself. I'm consciously reminding myself of somethings that I have found to be of value and helpful.
To spend 10 minutes or so doing that is nothing compared to the bombardment of other often less helpful stuff that we all endure via various media's throughout the rest of the day
'........ because you're worth it!' 😉

I think any kind of bead work makes for awesome fashion statements..

@Tecolote
Beads do come in different colors..ya know..

Nothing more to me than high-tech jewelry to practice a religion.
To each their own. Wouldn't waste my money on such things.
I have no desire to be that connected to friends and family members,.

The problem is that it suggests saying a mantra a set number of times has any effect on anything. It doesn’t. Chanting something 107 times is as effective as doing it 108 times, and both are as effective as doing it never. At least when you don’t do it at all, you haven’t wasted hours of your life.

That’s not tech company Acer’s fault, though. They’re just capitalizing on the irrational beliefs of other people, and it’s hard to fault them for it when other companies are doing the same thing.

Maybe the silver lining here is that putting actual numbers on how many mantras people chant might wake them up as to how much time they’re wasting on religion.

Imagine if Christians had a constant reminder of how much money they’ve paid in tithes over the years. When their bank account is low, or they’re struggling with debt, that reminder of how much money they’ve given to their church could force them to rethink their budgeting.

Dougy Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

I think mantras and such probably do a whole lot, for the practitioner at least. Consciousness can be altered you know.

@hankster Verified. Chanting mantra is a form of meditation. Also good for breath control, which has physiological benefits. Good for singers, too.

Repetition creates better basketball Players, and better thinking as well. Don't confuse self planned mental discipline with brainwashing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20780
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.