Agnostic.com

81 19

What are your thoughts on “foul” language?

How do you judge those that cuss and why?

I cuss, a lot.
I don’t care whether a person cusses.
I appreciate when people can articulate a point well, whether they cuss or not.
I don’t judge intelligence with overuse of cuss words, but instead, how intellectual or nervous an individual may be in that moment, not overall as a person.

If you like cuss words, do you have a favorite?

AMGT 8 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

81 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a foul mouthed, spirited, independent old woman of 78. Fuck is one of my most-used words.

Already like ya ????

Yes, all words are just arbitrary collections of squiggly lines of vocal sounds. But I will fucking say that if you say fuck all the fucking time, the fucking word loses its fucking edge. Part of the fucking fun of language is to fucking have these fucking taboos in there. When you say fuck all the fucking time, you're taking the fucking sting out of the fucking word. Save it for when it's fucking called for, you know? Fuck. lol

Dylan Level 5 Oct 23, 2017

You are fucking right.

LOL. This would give a foul mouth a taste of itself.

One of the funniest things I ever saw, a lady in the store, wearing a t-shirt what said "Feck you, you fecking feckers! " She and I both just started laughing at the absurdity of it all. Even a few aisles later, when she and I crossed paths again, we both looked at each other and burst out laughing again.....

For Traceelc: Hello... I have watched OLD IRISH MOVIES about the old Irish Days and they would alter the word BY saying "FECK"... So to me it does not matter because I have used that version on a Private Forum...~!!~ FOR DYLAN... Absolutely... It is like the Gold Miner on "GOLD RUSH", the one originally from the Netherlands... They have to BLEEP him so much sometimes you lose his Point...~!!~

As I taught my kid, I swear a lot and don’t mind if he does, but it isn’t appropriate in all circumstances. Don’t swear at a job interview, in front of your grandmother, or around other people’s kids!

Same in our household. Emphasis words are fine, just know when to use them and when not to.... ...soon, though, the world may be more on board and realize just how silly these arbitrary "bad words" are...

You have to know your audience, but cursing can make a point about something, it can be fun, and I like anything that knocks down convention a bit. Some people curse because they lack something intelligent to say, but it is easy to tell the difference. I'm sick of our puritanical society that is so afraid of being damaged by curse words.

I'm sure you'll like this study: [sciencealert.com]

In short, there is a positive correlation between intelligence and swearing/cussing more.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 24, 2017

The F word never made a kid feel bad or want to shoot up a school. However perfectly disney words like "infidelity" "divorce" and "unpaid bills" have.

It depends entirely on the situation. In some cases I can cuss a lot, in others not at all. There are times when it is not appropriate. I try and be considerate to others 0 and I volunteer with seniors - so not appropriate there. In my own home with hubby its occasional except when something bad happens then "Shiiiiit" ot FuuuucK' are common!

It does bother me when someone can't complete a sentence without numerous cuss words, as it becomes irritating like saying "like" over and over!

I like the creative expressions you have to look up on urbandictionary to know what they mean

I fuckin' love it!
I do it all the goddam time!

I just used two of my favs.

I agree. It's just WORDS, why do people have so many issues with what I SAY? I say FUCK. A lot. I am also a very intelligent person. I feel it to be very prudish and annoying when people get offended by my words.

Words have value. As a writer, I adore and nurture them all. When it comes to the four letter variety, because they have such high impact, I try to use them with a little caution. Overuse takes away from their impact.

Out of all my bad habits, my foul language is by far the healthiest. Low in Sugar, sodium, caffene free, nicotine free, stress relieving, aerobic activity. .

There is a time and a place for everything.
Though I must admit if find myself there, quite often.

I cuss a lot less than I used to, probably just because I normally work in an office environment and uppity cunts don't like it. Cunt is the best so-called naughty word. As one of it's meanings is simply a contemptible person, I've always understood that we are all cunts. As Americans we are generalized that way by a lot of people due to nothing more than the boundaries we were born within.

I have no issue with cussing and if you are intelligent it definitely has a place to emphasize a friggin' point! (what are the rules on swearing in here??). I also love to watch people who don't like swearing visibly recoil from someone who is swearing or switch off the TV set complaining about the swearing. It always just makes me want to swear more!!! I think it shows a level of naiveté and closed mindedness if swearing affects them so much. That many religious people don't like swearing makes me also love it more!!!

I call them "emphasis words". I mean, how in the hell can any word be BAD? I just don't GIVE a shit. But I don't Take any shit either! lol

My job is to help people understand why some people engage in aggressive and occasionally violent behaviour. Swearing does not particularly concern me. In fact swearing can be a useful way of expressing frustration or just a very effective was of expressing our emotions. I would far rather have someone tell me to "fuck off" than punch me in the face. Ultimately how "offensive" swearing is depends entirely on the context it is used which is true for any other form of language. . Having said this my mother hates any form of swearing, so I tend to avoid using it unless I really need to emphasise a particular point.

Words labeled foul are just words as far I can tell. Fuck is on of the, if not the most vercitile word in the English, or any language.

I think it enhances language, insofar as it's not overused to the point of becoming meaningless or acting as a distraction. My favorite is "fuck" because of its impressive range in meaning.

This made me laugh. I cuss like a sailor. Fuck being by far my favorite word. I don't know how people express themselves without it!

Caron Level 2 Oct 26, 2017

I speak my mind. I cuss a lot.

I'm a foul mouth. My mom was a foul mouth, my dad was a foul mouth. My first word was fuck, not mom or dad, fuck. It will almost certainly be my last, as well. I've been sprinkling them in along the way, it's how I got kicked out of Catholic school in 5th grade, so it hasn't been all bad 🙂

Orly Level 5 Oct 24, 2017

I swear,not all the time ,not everywhere,but when I feel need to.Always appreciate learning new expressions,found that English swearcabulary is very limited.

I believe people use profanity to show dominance. They just want to show that they are not wet behind their ears.

A word, by any other name, is still a word. Words are tools; if the tool works, use it.

I think George has a great take on this one ....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.