Agnostic.com

81 19

What are your thoughts on “foul” language?

How do you judge those that cuss and why?

I cuss, a lot.
I don’t care whether a person cusses.
I appreciate when people can articulate a point well, whether they cuss or not.
I don’t judge intelligence with overuse of cuss words, but instead, how intellectual or nervous an individual may be in that moment, not overall as a person.

If you like cuss words, do you have a favorite?

AMGT 8 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

81 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, cursing comes easy to me. I try to hold it back when my kids are around me, though.

Uskok Level 1 Dec 3, 2017

My mother came from County Cavan Ireland and she cursed like a trooper, as does everyone in Cavan, so it does,nt bother me ,in fact i like a good cursing session, my favourite curse word is fuck as it covers a wide range of meanings

I cuss like a sailor but I need to keep my job and so I am TRYING not to swear anymore. Fuck.

Fuckin' A

I swear a lot, but I believe in the "right time&place" approach. I generally think it's rude to swear a lot in public, but with people whom I know don't care, it's open season lol
Favorites: motherfucker, shit for brains, assface, dipshit, son of a bitch

I don't curse that often, but I don't care if other people do.

time and a place but can be of bad practice..you may end up using it subconsciously in an inappropriate moment

I don't cuss. Sometimes in my head I do, but rarely out loud. Occasionally someone, usually a guy I'm dating, will remark that he notices I never cuss. I just explain that I was never around people that did while growing up, including my parents. Surprisingly, two of my sisters, one only two years younger than myself, cuss like sailors. I believe that's the expression. One is a high school English teacher and the other a high school counselor. I was more sheltered growing up, being the oldest I guess and not being allowed to do anything or socialize outside of home and school life. My son cusses quite a bit and I sometimes find it offensive when he forgets I'm within hearing distance. Usually cussing doesn't bother me as long as someone can also hold a conversation and voice sn opinion without it. Turns me off immediately when a man cusses in front of women in general. I suppose that makes me old-fashioned, but that's how I feel.
I used to sometimes practice saying a few, but my son tells me it doesn't sound right. I do say "piss off " quite often and don't remember when I picked that up. Usually fuck and mothafucker are the two I use in my head a lot.

Constant cussing bores me. You loose your power!.

I don't cuss much, but otherwise I would sign off on the rest of your points. I guess my only reservation would be when cussing is used as a form of unprovoked attack on a person, rather than simply utilized for emphasis.

My thoughts on "foul" language is; words are subjective. It bother me that people don't understand that. Some words are even misinterpreted. Like the word pussy. Which from my reading actually comes from the word pusillanimous. Which is meant to describe cowardice. But here we are being told pussy is a "curse" word.

The word bitch is a female dog but when you say it toward someone it is a "bad" word. I don't subscribe to those beliefs my self.

Oh, and my favorite word is fuck 🙂.

How can people frown on a word as versatile as "fuck"?

In writing, I usually don't use "foul" language. In conversation, I usually don't use "foul" language. When I make a mistake, I usually use "foul" language.

Swearing can be a good sign.
[sciencealert.com]

I think curse words can be very useful in conveying emotion. And most of them, these days, aren't that offensive to anyone.

One other forum I'm on still employs automatic censorship of certain words. I had a post moderated for using the word 'shit' (describing a way that an organisation had treated me) and a further one moderated for using the word 'cock.' Not even in its vulgar slang context - I'd actually used the phrase 'cock a snook' which is equivalent to showing disdain for something.

I argued the point, but the forum admin doesn't like swearing. Most of the words are still blocked, but the debate did result on 'cock' being removed from the blacklist. One thing that was particularly frustrating was that the censorship prevented us from properly discussing the censorship. I then had several posts removed because, when trying to discuss the actual words, I'd used things like 'sh1t' and 'c0ck' and my membership was threatened with termination.

Normally, I'd say "Your forum. You run it as you like." But this is a volunteer running a forum on behalf of a national organsiation that I pay £40 a year to be a member of. He has turned this filtering on because of his own personal preference, not through any official mandate. If you search the history, you can find both of those words (and worse) being used completely uncensored.

My 12 year old son swears. As long as he knows when not to, and doesn't get to the stage where the F word is in every sentence, I can't say it particularly bothers me.

I guess it depends, some people don't know how to cuss, like they are child who just discovered a new word. For me, cussing is slang or a way to add humor, like I enjoy getting creative with my language and coming up with new ways to cuss, cunt snuggler for example. However, as for the so called foul language, it's only foul if you think it is.

I have the vocabulary of an well educated sailor ????

We all curse when things go wrong including my self , nothing wrong with it ,but it’s the over use of foul language amongst people that you are not familiar with .This I never do

Agree totally. The religious peoples who have chosen to submit themselves to an ideology that it's leaders just mock, are the ones primarily that have issues with explicit language. I don't believe in that myth. I don't cuss - alot. But don't have an issue using it either Don't mean to sound like most men or simple minded, but FUCK is the one the gives me a little tingle at times when I use it with passion. lol.

Uskok Level 1 Dec 3, 2017

I prefer to use less profanity because it causes you to find correct adjectives and not be lazy.

Personally, I don't trust anyone who does not curse. I see them as too guarded, how can you not drop an F bomb from time to time. Come on, everyone has stubbed their toe or bumped their head or dropped a wrench in a hard to reach spot under your hood. Guarded people are hiding something.

I operate under this premise: sometimes, adults use "adult language." When no kids are within earshot, that 'sometimes' can be 'frequently.' Or 'rarely.' Or even 'never.' Meanings and intentions are far more important in a dialogue than are adjectives and expletives, but always navigate gently.

Godot Level 7 Nov 28, 2017

I'm not overly fond of cussing myself. I do use curse words on occasion but I like to reserve them for when I am truly upset and not use them all the time. I don't think cussing or not is an indicator of intelligence but of self-control to a degree.

Schisse

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.