Agnostic.com

18 5

Top 10 Songs That Has Been Over Used For Covers?

I'll throw in Hallelujah. It's come to the point that it's a freaking chore to listen to.

JurassicT4 6 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wagon wheel is the one no appalachian musician can oblige ever again. Its become the new cry of Freebird!

Yesterday, knockin on heavens door. I still love Jeff Buckleys Hallelujah but Rufus Wainwright began its descent into tiresome and any version past that probably shouldnt have been done. I mean Buckley held a 35 second note, dropped the mic and drowned in the Mississippi. Like his body, that song should never be recovered.

I don't believe in songs being too sacred to cover but some of em sure have been done to death and plenty just don't need to be revived because they werent that great to begin with. if its a slow ubiquitous ballad especially theres not much reason to cover em again. Let it be, hey jude, imagine, that sorta anthem that everyone knows should only ever be covered if youre hoping to start a sing along. No one should seriously be listening to a band cover it unless its a virtuoso thats done something insanely original with his arrangement.

Maybe remixing them.

@JurassicT4 forgot another one someone mentioned: I enjoyed Ryan Adams' cover like 13 years ago but that was the last useful miles put on it.

These are on my fear of getting stuck in permanent eye-roll list...

Long Train Running
Man in the Box
Enter Sandman
Little Wing
House of the Rising Sun
Mustang Sally
Fortunate Son
Hard to Handle

"Walk This Way." The original was good. Way over-covered.
"Proud Mary"
"Hallelujah" - it seems some artists want to torture that song unnecessarily
"Knockin on Heaven's Door" - GnR did a good cover. Everyone else - stop.
"Ring of Fire" - it's Johnny's. Leave it alone.
"Take it Easy"
"After the Gold Rush" - Dolly, Emmy Lou, and Linda did the best cover, and no one else should try.
"Bridge Over Troubled Waters"
"Sweet Caroline"
"Satisfaction."

Lol, torture it unnecessarily

Sweet home alabama
Mustang sally
Knockin on heavens door
Keep your hands to yourself
Takin care of business

Oh yeah, add in ...
brown eyed girl

Black Sabbath's song Paranoid
[google.com]

Immigrant song Led Zeppelin

I'd also add Kidd Rock's ripping off Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London to make All Summer Long.

Truely awful

Margaritaville as @Gooniesnvrdie said every crappy 'beach' bar band playing every Friday night in America plays ..... ok so I changed his wording a little.

Sweet Home Alabama
Smoke o The Water
Old Time Rock and Roll
Hotel California
Moon Dance
White Christmas
Get Back
Billy Jean
Roll over Beethoven
Feelings

These are more to add to Sticks 48's list. Some I don't mind playing some I do. I don't play out at all these days.

I don't like most covers. I feel about them much the same way as I do
reboots of movies and tv shows.
Come up with your own original ideas, for fuck's sakes!
Quit copying your neighbor's paper.

@Gooniesnvrdie Yeah, I really have NO use for "tribute" bands. Wouldn't waste time or money going to see one, or a cover band, for that matter.

@Gooniesnvrdie try Apocalyptica. They started as a tribute band for Metallica. They're from Finland and they do instrumentals. They are in neo classical metal and cello metal.

@JurassicT4 Apocalyptica works as a quartet. Never needed a vocalist or drummer.

@chalupacabre I'm well aware. But they did have guest vocalists which were cool.

In the jazz area, if I'm listening to a jazz station and I hear either "A Night in Tunisia" or "My Favorite Things" I change to another station. They have been beaten to death by everyone.

Coltrane's Favourite things is wonderful. Everything else isn't.

@morlll Everybody and their uncle has covered it.

I was going to say Hallelujah myself. To the point I even made up some Weird Al lyrics "I was in this bar and I met this girl. She asked if I like war of the worlds. Especially that bit that just goes oo ya"
Anyway
Wonderwall - by any busker
Stairway to heaven - in any guitar shop
Rumours - any song off that album by anyone

Even Wayne's World understood how over done Stairway was.
[bing.com]

Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower", never knew Dylan did it originally.

Dylan likes it better than his version. He does it like Jimi now.

Oh wow me neither

I like the Dave Matthews version from his concert in Central Park

Mad World by Tears for Fears
Hurt by NiN - only because I'm the only person in the world that hates the Johnny Cash version with a passion

Just heard Weird Al covering "Africa" by Toto and can't tell the difference from the original.

Hating on the Cash version, that's blasphemy, lol.

@JurassicT4 I like to ruffle a few feathers- even on blasphemous websites...

Agreed. On ALL fronts. I thought I was the only person who couldn't stand the JC cover of Hurt. I generally do not like covers at all.

@KKGator there are a lot of covers that are as good or better than the original. Some covers breathe new life into old unknown or unpopular songs.

Feelin' All Right
Gimme Shelter

godef Level 7 Oct 26, 2018

@Byrdsfan Grand Funk, Sisters of Mercy, Patti Smith to name a few. I may have had another song in mind and misidentified it.

@Byrdsfan I was big on Funk as a teenager I'd have to confess.

Turn the page. Seger

The song "I'm not in love" , from 10CC. has been covered by, and sampled by over 50 artists.
There was an article about that, but I don't remember what it was called.
I'll keep looking, and put the link up if I find it.

But I think the most covered song of all time is "Happy birthday to you".

Most musicians in their 60's and 70's would have these songs on their list.
Cocaine
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Johnny Be Good
Proud Mary
Mustang Sally
Freebird
La Grange
House of the Rising Sun
Honky Tonk Women
Old Time Rock and Roll

right on!

Mustang Sally was going to be my pick...

All of those are on my " Not going there" list.

They're fun to play. It's also fun to get semi-drunk folks up and dancing

@morlll None of those songs is fun to play anymore. There are thousands of songs to choose from to get people to dance. When you make a living at this, these songs are not what you want to play. As a matter of fact the only time l have had to play these songs are playing with hobby players or at an open mic.

Freebird is just awful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:208883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.