Agnostic.com

107 5

Being Completely Honest, Is There A Bible Or Cross Anywhere In Your Home Right Now?

For those of you who didn't know, I have only been Agnostic for 2.5 years now. I guess I am still in a transition from Christianity.

I will be completely honest when I say that I do have one bible still in my home that I have had for years as part of my décor in my living room. Of course it is here merely as a decorative accent but I have now bagged it for garbage.

Please tell me if you have these things still in your home.
No need to be shy or embarrassed unless you are still doing sunday mass and paying Tithe......lol

• 68 votes
  • 76 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 4 votes
twshield 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

107 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I take the bibles when I stay at hotels, so I have bibles. And I did buy one bible, after I got ambushed by proselytizers who only carried the new testament. I used to carry it with me, but now I just use an app. No crosses or anything, though.

No crosses but I own a bible. Read it from time to time to stay brushed up. Read it twice consecutively when I was7-8 but my memory isn't what it used to be. I wanted to believe. Wouldn't it be great to be blind to reality. Ignorance is bliss,right? Two pages in to genesis I shook my head and new it was all fairy tales. You should see the look on tbese"s" when they find out I am not"of the flock". Immediately they cop this attitude of poor,pitiful,unenlightened Caseman. I must show him the error of his ways and lead him to the light of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Ramirez I mean Christ. These ignorant fool"s" know Jack shit about their religion. It is considered cool to be ,say shit like it's all thanks to my lord and Saviour Jose Christ we won the game. Meanwhile3 million people died in Sri Lanka today, but they was just heathens, not good s like my football team. We preyed and our Lord and Saviour Julio Cesar Christ answered em we managed to break the other team's quarterback's leg off n win in overtime.Praise the lawd. Now we going to Hooters then miss kitty's n celebrate this victory with an ounce of coke some smack hash and three underage sex slaves from the former Soviet Union. They get confused,then embarrassed then PISSED OFF when I refute everything they say with facts and bible verses. Eventually they storm off,furious because I am so damned stupid I can't see the truth for all my ridiculous evidence and corroborations. I am just too damned stupid to understand faith.

I bought a KJV Bible at Goodwill. Bible quotes sound best in KJV-speak, IMHO. Especially the commandments. They just don't carry as much zing without the "thou shalts." Also, my MIL sent some sort of Bible (whichever one the Methodists use, likely) to my husband.

vita Level 7 Apr 29, 2018

My atheist daughter thinks tacky Jesus memorabilia are hilarious, so I may still have an expired air freshener in my car she gave me.

I have my deceased mother's Bible. It has family information in it and it was something that meant a great deal to her. I loved my Momma and lost her way too soon. I have difficulty parting with any of her prized possessions despite the fact she's been gone since 1996.

I have a bible and a quran both. I don't know where they are now, but the bible was a gift and I wanted to see all of the scientific knowledge in the quran that muslims frequently cite. Unfortunately, that must all be in the Arabic version.

JimG Level 8 Apr 28, 2018

No, but I did have for many years, long after I had no faith in anything in it.
It is still ancient literature and has cultural relevance.

I did not vote in the poll because I don't consider the bible to be a religious symbol for me. (Maybe historical fiction or mythology.) I do have my grandmother's bible in my bookcase. (She was atheist, yet kept the bible on her end table, next to her sofa.)

I do not and have never have had a crucifix, either on my neck or on my wall.

I did purchase the Brick Bible and have it available for my still religious visitors who might be curious to see their beloved bible stories depicted with lego figures. I have books on various religions and mythologies, as well as many books on freethought, atheism, and other subjects.

I consider the bible to be a religious text, more than a symbol. Where as a depiction of a crucifix is a symbol in my mind, but that's just the way I view it. I do have books that are part of my decor, expressing my personality, but they also aren't symbols for me. In any case, I can see how a bible can be a symbol and of family historical value. I just don't choose it to be one for my life, though it's on my top shelf in my bookcase along with other books on religion and mythology.

I was raised Catholic, girls boarding school. I cannot remember exact books and verses but the Bible is indelibly printed in my brain.

I was raised Catholic, girls boarding school. I cannot remember exact books and verses but the Bible is indelibly printed in my brain.

Never did, never will!

Earl Level 1 Apr 23, 2018

I think that some objects associated with various different religious are beautiful so they are part of the decoration in my house. I have a beautiful menorah on permanent display, a ceremonial mask from Indonesia, and a few totchkes from my days as a solitary Wiccan. I don't know whether the Banksy print of a cathedral window covered with graffiti counts. My point is that I invest no belief in any of them, but appreciate their beauty.

On my bookshelf sits the bible I was awarded in my childhood for a streak of perfect attendance at Sunday School - not that I had any choice in that matter - as well as an English translation of the Koran, several books on philosophy, one by the Dalai Lama, and numerous by Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins, et al. As others here have cited, I find it handy to have a bible for reference when debating some point with a faith-head -- er, I mean, a fine, thinking adult with imaginary friends.

As for crosses, I'm a geocacher and I keep a box of the religious kitsch I've pulled from caches, plus I have a couple of rosaries for the priest costume I sometimes wear to halloween parties. None of it has any personal significance, however.

Godot Level 7 Apr 20, 2018

A bible... still in the wrapper, was given to my late wife by Billy Graham (she said). It’s kept in a night table drawer in my guest room, sort of a snarky joke.

Tomas Level 7 Apr 16, 2018

I keep them around for decoration. In case family and friends come that believe in the religious bs/god. If it wasn't for that reason, that stuff would be in my closet for centamental reasons. I have thrown some it the trash. I guess it's kind of weird.

Yes I have several bibles in my home as well as some copies of the Koran and a book of Mormon. I really want to add the Egyptian book of the dead to my collection.

Half price books will buy your old bibles with a smile

I used to have a few different versions, that I did study. I threw them all out many years ago.

I actually have a Bible in my bedroom...

I have numerous Bibles (KJV, RSV, NIV, Living, etc.) and concordances, a copy of the Koran, some Talmudic commentaries and even a Book of Mormon ... but then I suppose I'm a hoarder.

A friend gave me a terra cotta church years and years ago, so I've kept it to remember his kindness. I believe in human love and goodness

A friend gave me a terra cotta church years and years ago, so I've kept it to remember his kindness. I believe in human love and goodness

Certainly there is a bible (more than one in two different editions), the book of Mormon, some Hinduistic literature, Buddha's teachings, Scandinavian, Greek, Mesoamerican mythologies... At some point I will add the Quran to them and perhaps other religious texts. Also my library contains some quantity of political books from all sides of the spectrum.
The more you know, the easier to define your own standing, while avoiding being ultimately influenced by just one source.

There is a standing Buddha in my living room, and upstairs, in Brendan's room we find tapestries of Buddha, Shiva and the elephant guy. I consider it art. Nobody is praying to it.

Yes, because it was my mother's and she wrote in it as a child, so it has purely sentimental value.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.