Heard this a couple times

If the relationship takes work,
It's the wrong relationship.

Thoughts?
I tend to agree. The relationship should work
Not be work.

DeityfreeRo 6 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Xenocat said what I meant by the word work. "The ideal relationship shouldn't take work. The relationship should be completely natural. If you love the person anything you do for that person won't seem like work (and by the definition of work, not in fact work"

Feeling a relationship should just be perfect is nothing but a Disney phantasy and it just doesn't work like that in the real world.

I would agree with you as well. Although, I think it also depends on how you define "work". I've never had a relationship that didn't have it's problems but with some time, dedication and effort you resolve those problems and improve that relationship. In the end I think it depends on the person and their perspective. For me, if it feels like work then it's not a relationship worth keeping. But that's just my opinion.

That is what I meant about work. Should have been more clear about it. If it feels like work it is a problem.

sorry but imo that's dumb. My favorite people, animals with whom i have a "relationship" are high maintenance AF, and they are worth every nano second. My late husband was a PITFA, but I miss him like nobody's business.

No two people are alike. After the high of being in love wears off, there will be some "work" to do to negotiate and understand each other. Disappointments will happen. You'll have to talk about it and I don't think it will always be easy. But maybe some will be lucky enough to skate by with that perfect match.

Hey, a good relationship is worth the effort.

A garden is work. Raising children is work. Learning a new instrument is work. Exercise is work. Everything worth doing is work. But if you love your work, you'll never "work" a day in your life.

Relationships are work. Love is work. But they are worth it. Just be sure you aren't the only one doing the work.

True. It won't feel like work. That is what I was trying to get across. Thanks !

Relationships take work, and compromise, and communication. The don't just happen, they are a living thing that needs to be nurtured.

I trained a dog once, and as I was studying up on it the prevailing wisdom was you get the dog you deserve. If you put effort in you get a great dog. Same as for your relationship with others. Put the effort in and your relationship will be better for it.

And the other wisdom is you don't "find" a good spouse, you become a good spouse.

OMG I do not deserve my dog...she's very nearly perfect!! sniffle

@stinkeye_a then you have been a good dog mom!

My relationship isn’t demanding, either way, but if it was in a place that needed work, whatever that may mean, work on it I will do.

All relationships take work.

Change "takes work" to "causes pain" and you've got a true statement.

We humans always have to put some degree of work into not hurting each other. At the most basic level it's called "manners".

I somewhat agree with this. However dealing with humans requires some effort to make anything work and a good deal of the time it just does not seem to work regardless of the effort humans put into it.

Seems like wishful thinking to me. They're all work but the good ones are worth it.

I agree.

Most relationships take work. Why? Because the people you are now, are not the same people you will be in 10 years, and the work is learning to work with your partner and who they have become in 10 years.

Hard to call on this one. Often times it does seem like work, other times not. I'm thinking it depends on the person. Personally, I'm tired of drama. I'd just like someone to talk with, hug with, and do things with. Both in and out of the bedroom!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21079
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.