Agnostic.com

13 2

PLATITUDES
Sometimes I think it better to say nothing but too often folks have to fill the silence with platitudes:
"You love who you love. "
"Everything happens for a reason. "
"Everybody does it. "
These, and many others, all seem too unthinking and are more annoying than helpful. Silence, a nod, a smile, a soft touch would be much more helpful.

kmdskit3 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think you're expecting too much from people while also overlooking the small things in life that people forget to acknowledge. These sayings still have meaning, despite if you appreciate them or get irritated by them. I feel that people are getting bored and desperate for a sense of meaning in this generation, to the point it's pathetic and embarrassing to even be a part of it. We're destroying things that shouldn't be and obsessing over shamefully naive ideals

These kinds of platitudes I can get behind.

I will often stick to platitudes in two situations. 1) I really don’t care one way or the other or 2) I know they really don’t care about what I have to say.

Not bad. That's my strategy too sometimes.

Platitudes and obvious jokes annoy me. I much prefer for others to say nothing, or better yet to listen if I'm trying to express strong feelings relate a sorrowful event. But I understand that people often feel compelled to help or to do something, so they advise or worse yet blame or just talk about themselves instead. I try to listen to others and then let them know that I'm listening to them and then hope that they will listen and talk to me as well.

Yeah I try to tell myself to shut up more often.

They are annoying, I hate them.

I agree. I am not one for silence but I am also not one to say stupid crap for no reason, but I am, lol just not platitudes. When some one's hurting or whatever, the only things I say are "I'm here" "here's coffee" you want a hug?".

If you are gonna use platitudes either make up your own that make no sense, or just let out a stream of them like you where verbally constipated with adages. Because while you may be saying absolutely nothing, you can at least be hilarious about it...."The skinny rope gets the steeple!" "Fried rice isn't just for dinner, you know." "Two birds in the hand won't pack a lot of peanuts." I have a million of 'em.

I will admit to HATING "everything happens for a reason", since I don't believe it does. But I am not sure I follow how the other things you mentioned are "platitudes". I think more in terms of other things I hate, like "S/he is in a better place now" or, even worse, "God doesn't give you anything you can't handle".

I understand the problems with religious platitudes but there are non-religious platitudes too. Maybe you could post some?

@kmdskit3 Me? I'm not sure I know any. I went to a memorial service for the mother of a friend of mine today, and I'm thinking back at what I said to her. I asked her how she was. I said she must have had a horrible, difficult week. I reminded her that I'm available any time, and I promised to call her in a week or so to see how she was doing. Does any of that sound like what you're looking for?

What you said in that situation sounded just about perfect. It's about as far from a platitude as you can get.

If I feel I have to say something I will along the lines of Words will just diminish your pain/this situation

To me, platitudes are like small talk. Useless and I'm no good at it, either. Life sucks, sometimes. Deal with it and try to move on is my best answer.

Many people are uncomfortable with silence. I remember a comment from a small child that they sat with an older person and helped them cry. This is what we need, someone to help us cry (as I tear up.)

i was at my best friend,s home her grandson was spending the week end with us when the call came her daughter died she got histerical . I took the 7 year old boy to the living room and sat next to him on the sofa we sat there in silence, I say to him later on " she lives in your memories of her, and in your heart,and to all those who loved her..Grief is real and painful. I lost my only child the year before.i understood his pain.

@RachelPraolini I am sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child.

I have an annoying habit that I can't seem to break. In weird intense situations where "normal" people inject platitudes, I can burst out laughing, or just drop a very inappropriate one-liner. here is an example
"I loved him so much, then he married this other woman, she died of cancer, and he found out their baby wasn't his"
Me: "Well that's fucking depressing"
so honestly... I wish I were able to spit out platitudes sometimes

Wait, so she cheated on him, lied and said it was his baby and made him take care of it. Then she died and he didn't have to take care of his dead whore-of-a-wife's love child? Doesn't sound like the worst outcome to me.

I definitely understand the urge to do what you've done. Sometimes that might even be better.

@kmdskit3 key word - sometimes. It takes a lot for me not to bust out something stupid and inconsiderate like this. I tend to excuse myself from conversation when shit gets a bit too real

An emotionally intelligent thing to do.

Are platitudes more like a cliche?

Did you know I was going to come along and look up the definition? 🙂 I did! a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21096
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.