Agnostic.com

19 2

Can an agnostic and an atheist marry?

In the movie Annie Hall, Woody Allen says his marriage ended "for religious differences. She was an atheist and I was an agnostic."

Is it just a joke or can the two find happiness?

LukeJWalker 4 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would could work,

What about the rest of the joke? "They couldn't agree on what religion not to bring their kids up in." 🙂

Religion is so unimportant to me, I hardly ever discuss it. I couldn't be with a fanatic, no matter what they believe.

Why not?

Maybe..if they both agree that the marriage May exist.

There's no inherent problem.

My late prior wife was a Methodist and I deconverted during our marriage. It didn't impact anything because I wasn't a dick about it, and our relationship was in no way based on shared religious traditions or beliefs. It was based on mutual respect and a bunch of shared interests that weren't tangled up with religion.

I'm agnostic and was married 33 years to an atheist, and our differences that led to divorce had nothing to do with religion.

A better question would be can an agnostic/atheist person have a solid relationship with a religious person and frankly that would be a pain in the ass we tend towards logic and religious people have lazy minds they would rather be told what to believe than actually think

I think the terms are used wrong. look at the greek . A theist actually means no trust for the church not a lack of accepting the possibility of god and a gnostic is a gnosis simple meaning that I confess I can't know the truth of this and I won't damned well pretend I do. given the correct definitions yes I can't see why not. Atheists and agnostics with the correct definition are really the same people

Actually if it's the right person, it wouldn't make a difference what the beliefs are. Apparently the love was not there to begin with.

A Roman Catholic and a Jewish person? My brother and SIL have been happily married for decades. Anything is possible if the two parties are reasonable, One of their two kids is Atheist. 😉 (I'm the cool Auntie!).

It's up to the individuals involved. There are no absolute "rules".

I don't see why not. Every relationship is nothing but a long and tedious series of compromise and negotiations. If they find enough in one another to compromise about faith then hey more power to them.

I don't see why not. Every relationship is nothing but a long and tedious series of compromise and negotiations. If they find enough in one another to compromise about faith then hey more power to them.

I'd agree to tie the knot if she'd agree to see reason.
Jk.
I'd never marry anyone. I don't believe in legally tying two lives together in such a way.

if their moms say so

The best analogy to the question I can think of is: "Can a non-christian mary a non-protestant?" The two titles tell very little about the couples compatibility.

Love should trump levels of disbelief.

@AMGT Can't confirm or deny... and then again maybe that is why I am not married.

@MrLizard I had second thoughts... I should had follow my instincts instead. My Bad.

@AMGT I admit to have faith in love... but I love with my mind rather than with my heart so... my mind has this cutoff switch... very effective I may say.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21109
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.