Agnostic.com

7 0

Who, how, what?

Who/how/what inspired you to become skeptical, agnostic or athiest? Christopher Hitchens did and still keeps me in check. Miss hearing and reading his work

Whoarewe 3 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I became a skeptic when I asked myself the question, "Why do I follow the religion that I do?". The answer was - because my parents follow that religion. From there it was one epiphany after another... Why do we need religion? Is there truth to the religious claims?....

Just learning about our home and about real living things and where it all is in the scheme of things. Just blew my mind one day and I haven't been the same since. I crave any kind of intelligent food I can feed my brain and mind. I can't give any one person credit but nature comes the closest.

Carl Sagan. Cosmos.

My Mother gets the credit for me.. Not only the smartest girl in her mid-western town, she never let any god lick our brains 🙂

Varn Level 8 Oct 29, 2018

Richard Dawkins with his book, "The Blind Watchmaker"; Nathaniel Branden with his book, "The Psychology of Self Esteem"; my therapist, Newton; Ayn Rand with all of her writing; many other books; and a period of withdrawal with deep thinking on my own part in conjunction with my existing doubts about religion.

Religious folks helped the most.

I can relate. The more I listened to their foolish arguments and opinions the further away I got from their allusions.

@scrunchy , yes. That moment when you have to ask yourself, ' am I the only sane one here? '.

i was 15. i had been told by my folks that long-haired boys were dirty and rebellious. my personal experience contradicted this. i decided to examine everything i believed to see what else i was just taking my folks' word for. although they hadn't pushed religion -- i was raised a secular jew -- i examined that too, everything large and small. god went out the window right fast. it was relatively painless.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:211366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.