Agnostic.com

34 2

Are there novels that changed the way you think?

There are novels that opened my mind to new and fascinating ideas. For me it was Dune, Stranger in a Strange land, Foundation trilogy (psycohistory is totally cool), Conversation with Don Juan, and Man of La Mancha (hopeless romantic).
Has this happened to you?

ForestDweller 4 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bible, I am truly convinced that there is no god, lol!

Atlas Shrugged

Helped me realize that many people have no clue how bad a book itnreally is.

Actually it messed me up for a while until I got my moral compass back in order. Too bad clowns like Paul Ryan and Rand Paul never got over it.

@jerry99 I agree. Horrible book that puts inane ideas in people’s heads.

So. Bad. And it has such a great premise (regardless of where you stand on the issues presented and Rand's handling of them, the premise is interesting).

Atlas Shrugged is the only one I can come up with that caused serious reflection. I have read so many that have left some new perspective but I can’t come up with titles. A lot of you have indicated that Dune was important. I have tried to get through that book and I always put it down. Nothing in the beginning makes me want to keep reading. Maybe I will try again.

Ayn Rand yes yes yes!

I think the first book that changed my perceptions of the world, was "The Pearl" by Hohn Steinbeck.
Other books that influenced my world views...
"The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair
"Animal Farm" and "1984" by George Orwell
"The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood
"Elmer Gantry" by Sinclair Lewis
"Brave New World" by Adous Huxley
"The Sound of Waves" by Yukio Mishima
"Coma" by Robin Cook

and many many more that dot' immediately come to mind at the moment.

Excellent choices. I forgot Brave New world. I should add Player Piano.

Sophie's world by jostein gaarder, it’s long but worth it and you basically get a minor in philosophy as you read it 🙂

Okay here is a series I recommend to everyone on this site. The ColdFire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Central to the struggle between good and evil. Is it permissible to conspire with an evil entity to save your species? Extreme fantasy with deep philosophical implications. I highly recommended.

Another was the book Exodus. I was trying to understand the Jewish/Palestinian conflict. I hadn’t known how badly the Jews were treated after the end of World War II. All the camps and not being welcomed in. I always thought we should have given them Germany. I’m sure I will think of more. I have moved so many times and the books I do still have are mostly in boxes. I also have loved the books by Malcolm Gladwell and my favorite fantasy is The Belgariad and The Mallorean by David Eddings

Starting from earliest to the latest:

1. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
  2. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
  3. Star Stuff by Carl Sagan
  4. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  5. The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

Many. Here are a few:
Dr. No
Tom Sawyer
Siddhartha
Atlas Shrugged

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce absolutely rocked my world. I was nineteen and just starting to figure out I didn't believe in gods anymore. It gave me strength to get through it, and to realize I wasn't alone.

After reading The Fountainhead feeling like the world had changed. Some of that with the Carlos Casteneda books...but not as profoundly as Ayn Rand. Although I am not a fan of her ideology. Also, Camus, Sartre and that group.

George Orwell - Animal Farm
Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
Cynthia Voight - Homecoming

Lord of the Rings - Huckleberry Finn - 1984 - Animal Farm - Clockwork Orange

Camus, The Stranger. Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms. Conrad, Heart of Darkness. Hoffer, The True Believer.

Yes on Camus.

1984 - George Orwell
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Me too.

No single one, but Asimov, and Terry Pratchet changes me little by little.

Not sure if they changed the way I think, but they certainly helped me articulate it.

Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series - Douglas Adams
The Discworld series - Terry Pratchett
Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas - Hunter S Thompson
The Culture series - Iain M Banks
The Diamond Age - Neil Stephenson

Orwell 1984
Twain Finn and Life on the Mississippi
Nietzsche The Birth of Tragedy

James A. Micheners HAWAII...7th Grade...the disgusting attempt to wipe out the gentle Polynesian Culture, Language, Customs and Religious Idols and Beliefs...I started HATING all forms of Christianity from that day forward. How utterly Arrogant and Egotistical Religion can make people.

There’s another book by Michener, that starts at the beginning of time and comes forward to man creating gods and forward from there. I can’t for the life of me remember the title. I have pulled his books off library shelves and can’t find it.

Wow what a question! A bunch have greatly impacted me. All the religious zealots can only give one answer, Book of Mormon, Bible, Koran, etc. And I have marveled at some things in there books. But give me Brandon Sanderson’s The Emperor’s Soul for a primer to all the other good reads?

ps. Soul in this book is different, there is an atheist compatible definition (connotation) of soul.

Emperor's Soul. I just looked. It should be a good read.

In my youth: Sinclair Lewis, John Steinbeck, 1984, Brave New World, Mark Twain, Robert Heinlein, etc. As an adult: Jack Kornfield, Pena Chodron, etc.

So, maybe The Good Delusion is obvious but it took me from agnostic to atheist. Revival by Stephen King had some very good things as well.

God Delusion

@OwlInASack no, what is elevator gate?

@OwlInASack gotcha, interesting story. Its always good to know everyone is flawed a little bit at least so we don't treat them as God's, right?
Sucks being white and male sometimes, you get to feeling invincible.

for me stranger in a strange land too, yes, although the door into summer was influential in its own way, and conversations and whatever all else i read by castaneda too (it's been half a century now). cancer ward by solzhenitsyn, whom, by the way, i met. davita's harp, by chaim potok, and yes i was already an atheist when i read that. so many others. even the two by john lennon!

g

Heinlein's "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" made a major impression.

AJ413 Level 3 Nov 12, 2018

1984 and Brave New World were influential to my high school self.

Orbit Level 7 Nov 12, 2018

Same here

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:211887
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.