Agnostic.com

16 0

After we are gone who will inherit the earth?

In the course of evolution it seems that animals tend to evolve ever increasing brain capacities. At the rate humans are going some believe perhaps rightly or not that we will wipe ourselves out, if this were to happen what species would you put your money on to be the next "intelligent life". Mine is on raccoons, they have got hands and opposable thumbs, are highly adaptable and are great survivors, where do you place yours?

HeathenFarmer 8 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tardigrades

The Mute Gods already answered this question.....

Nobody because humans will unfortunately take earth when we become extinct...think about all the nuclear power plants melting..when they have no one to monitor them?? Earth is doomed

Christians.

The mighty cockroach.

I remember watching this series (The Future is Wild) from the early 2000s. I m sure certain extrapolations would've changed if the series was made today but still, it was definitely interesting.

Hic, I hope and pray, hic, I'd become meek, hic!

Right now AI seems to be making the most noise among scientists and writers. There are a whole lot of TED talks, articles, books and commentators either saying it’s our savior or it will bring our demise. “Homo Deus” by Yuval Noah Harari and “Origin” by Dan Brown are two very popular books that I have read recently that may bring this controversy into the spotlight.

gearl Level 8 Oct 28, 2017

No-one. The Earth got by quite nicely for over four billion years before Humans evolved. All of our related hominin species (Neanderthals, Denisovans, H. Floriensis) are already extinct, and never got beyond stone knives and basket weaving in any case (neither did we for the first 99% of our generations so far).

Contrary to what most of us assume, technological civilisation is not the 'natural culmination of history', it is, to be blunt, a bit of an aberration.

if / when humans leave the stage, the stage itself will just become overgrown and slowly turn back into forest.

Cockroaches will survive anything, but don't think they will evolve as intelligent species. If we wipe ourselves out, most mammals will die also, and that includes smart animals like monkees, raccoons, pigs, dogs, stc.

Great minds LoveThyDog - see my also logical answer below!

All the species that have managed to survive in spite of us, will breathe a large sigh of relief, and go about their peaceful lives !

only about 800million years left of habitable time on earth before the oceans boil away. considering how we have and continue to destroy the natural environment, it could take 10's of millions of years for conditions to go back to a point where intelligence could arise.

my bets on the Cephalopods, as they alone seem to be prospering in degrading conditions humans are creating.

Soooo cute!

Hahaha! The cockroaches! They will inherit the earth! And the earth will be a better place without us.

I put my money on dogs. They're plentiful and adaptable. In any case I hope it's dogs. They've been servants far too long. They deserve more.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

You could be right on that one we have manipulated their genome a lot to develop intelligence, damn it is just as I have always fear Border Collies have been plotting our downfall.

They'll be comin' down from Sirius when they come and interchange the first and last letters of their name.

Who cares? The earth, itself, will eventually be destroyed in some astrophysical event -- the sun dying, being hit by an asteroid, the core losing its electromagnetism, another big bang, etc.

With that optimism hopeful thought someone just push the damn button.

If any other great apes survive, I suspect they may evolve along human lines over again. If you didn't know already,humans are classified as a branch of "great apes".

Anyway, th dexterity of fingers and an opposable thumb would give other great apes an evolutionary advantage if humans were no longer present.

Unfortunately they are not likely to survive human they are doing poorly now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2132
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.