Agnostic.com

29 9

What is your favorite road sign. This is from my home town of Salts-berg Pa. I don't know if this one can be beat.

Leutrelle 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can't locate the pictures now, but I had two favorite street signs. One was the corner of Seaman Avenue and Cumming Street in Inwood, Manhattan. The other was Hemlock Street, and underneath, DEAD END.

I like it I like it a lot🙂

Found in Rhode Island:

O man what a choice🙂 which way did you go?

@Leutrelle Purgatory heading to the beach and Paradise heading back out! 😉

@RavenCT LOL!

@RavenCT I pick the beech🙂

@Leutrelle The beach was SO COLD that day. Dropped into the 20's overnight and we were at the Ocean in RI. Still took a pic of me under that sign though!

ROFL. No, I can't beat that. The closest I can come is a sign that said "Dead End Street" right before the cemetery.

That's a good one too🙂

As a former sailor... these ones are part of our Folk 'n Lore.

Those are a little off color humor😉

@Leutrelle @GipsyOfNewSpain Not for the Navy!

@Leutrelle It wasn't the humor. It was the reality of major cities within a port.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Thats something that was unknown to me.

@Leutrelle In bootcamp is one of the first thing they tell you... if you see one in Norfolk VA. Don't be offended. Sailors used to had a Bad Reputation of Drunkness. Read about Zoot Suit Riots in L.A. in the 40's, only ones arrested were the Mexicans while the sailors were given a pass. Bring us to 2018 and Mexicans still getting the Bad Rap... But sailors has come a long way from those days... racists are still the same old racists... some things never change.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Racism is a terrible problem that I hope someday will leave the hearts of men.

@Leutrelle Yes indeed. Mixing of the races been my only solution possible and as a matter of fact a member from this group mentioned to me the simulators of how mankind will look in the future once all purity of race disappears, the future of mankind is not white.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Is it bad to be white?

@Leutrelle oh no. not at all.

Not road signs, but close:

Stenciled on municipal main street garbage can lid: "No birds or animal parts"

Hand spray-painted sign next to country road: "Watch out for cows, guys"

Both Ekalaka, MT (ranch hamlet of 500 people)

That put a smile on my face🙂

@Leutrelle the cows one had us in stitches for a long time. I should have taken pictures!

@stinkeye_a Thats one reason I like the country living🙂

Once reported a bunch of loose cows to a Police Station - officer asked "What color?". Rural cops gotta love em'!

LOL!
I've always been partial to the "Moose Crossing" signs in Maine.

Thats a dandy🙂

I know someone that had a small vehicle. THey were driving in fog in Maine and suddenly realized they had driven under a bullmoose's neck as he was starting to cross the road

@btroje They were incredibly fortunate!

@btroje many years ago Brocklebank drew a cartoon of two whitemen wearing pith helmets driving past a huge python which has obviously swallowed a small car whole. The passenger smoking his pipe comments "I told Carruthers that he needed an engine greater than 2 horsepower!"

@RavenCT oh yes. Lived there 3 years and learned that unlike hitting a deer, these guys were so big the fell over into your windshield and end of story

@btroje Both my ex-husband and I worked at Maine Med in Portland. He worked in the ER. He used to tell me stories about moose vs vehicle. The moose might not have survived the run-ins, but neither did most of the drivers.

@btroje Lived in Maine one Summer - never tempted to take on a moose. Ever.

It isn't really the sign that's funny, but your post reminded me of the deer crossing phone call - a caller to a radio station complained on the air about deer crossings after she'd had multiple collisions with deer... It's funny, lots of people have probably already heard it, but anyone who hasn't should take a listen:

@KKGator I did a residency at Maine Med 1990-1993

@btroje Yea moose are so long legged I can only think it would a death sentence to hit one.

@btroje Missed you by a few years. I started working there in 1998. Sterile Supply and Decontamination.

@icolan Yeah, a moose sighting in Portland would be pretty unusual. Unless it were down in the Old Port. You never know what you're going to see down there!

This place is between Indianapolis and South Bend, IN. Drove by it to and from college.

Now thats what I call Comic Relief🙂

@Leutrelle or honest advertising.

Wouldn't have seen this one 20 years ago...

I haven't seen a sign like that! Are they looking at their phones?🙂

@Leutrelle pokemon zone

ROFL I thought it was a sign warning of stalking men with erections? I had to enlarge the photo to make out what it is about!

I had several others which were evidently not allowed on this site...

I never get tired of this one and it always makes me giggle a little when I see it. "Slow children at play"

Or Slow Men at Work. As shown in an investigation into Houston city workers this is very true. So instead of firing them as they should be, they are given a day off WITH PAY so that they can reflect on what they did wrong.

Thats a good one, but I got to wonder about the sign maker;😉

@commander42 There's nothing like a good solid day of reflection to align ones mind to the individual who's actually using the shovel. 🙂

All in Texas, one more I was looking for

Funny Ha Ha🙂

I got such a kick out of this in 1971. Today, I still chuckle when I drive up there 🙂

I had to chuckle too🙂

In the San Fernando Valley, just north of Los Angeles, if you go for a walk in the foothills of the northern ridge of mountains, there are signs warning you to watch out for mountain lions.

Thats no joke🙂

Try this one

Hadn't thought of Church bill boards🙂Thanks

One for the Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently fans,

Ya I get the message, but . . . Thanks for sharing🙂

This all reminds me of this..

That was hilarious! Was that lady for real? Thanks for that one🙂

Unbelievable...

@Leutrelle its a joke

@btroje I thought it had to be, but she was very convincing, and on rare occasion I am gullible.

@Leutrelle I think the first time I heard it I was convinced. good comedienne

Oh, they didn’t all post... I had to throw that one in

Those are all good, but I like Point Blank😉

Cut N Shoot is here too. Sad world. @Leutrelle

Yep. My sister lived in Cut N Shoot.

Ha I’m in Conroe @kiramea

Did Dead End Street exist before or after Happiness Hallow?

@nothinnXpreVails, I lived in Conroe/Grangerland/New Caney area for years. Was born in Houston and raised in Huntsville.

Sometimes is not a joke is a Reality in america. Found all over the south border... And this one may be my Least Favorite.

Ya that is not one I've seen. Not my favorite either

that is like a sign for the Bermuda Triangle. There is an alley in Louisville KY called BillyGOat Strut. Among other oddly named towns there is one called Monkey's Eyebrow

I need to visit KY🙂

@Leutrelle you should check out a state map. there are a lot of freakazoid town names there

And don't forget Big Bone Lick!

@btroje I will

My favorite that still boggs my mind is toadsuck Arkansas lol

@Nottheonlyone how could I forget?

@Affinityshadow sounds like a delightful place

@btroje yah thats in the your not from around hear territory lol

Where has your tongue been?

Globe, Arizona

Great sign! Thanks

But it's free.

Less than free, sounds good to me🙂

ROFL

Back some 30 years ago, I was in a small town somewhere in Tennessee (about an hour or so from Franklin). To keep drivers from driving the wrong way down one-way streets, they painted these cartoon-looking hairy eyeballs (stink eye) on the backs of the stop signs at each intersection. It was hilarious.

Dang I can only imagine🙂

There was a road by where I lived in Grangerland, TX called Nonesuch Rd. In Missouri, my sister lived in a small town called Licking.

They are both great😉 Thanks

Australia has a few. The following url takes you to 16 collected by one couple. I love the last two painted on the oil drums. The language is First Nation pidgin English.
[traveller.com.au]

Thanks for sharing the out back signs. I didn't you guy had camels to deal with🙂 Australia on my bucket list of places to see.

@Leutrelle when you get here I'm happy to show you the NW, SW, west and south of Victoria. Allow at least three weeks and unless you are used to intense heat, spring autumn and winter are preferable seasons. Camels are in the more arid parts of SAustralia, W.Australia and N.Territory. A few years ago they were exported back to the Middle East to improve genetic stock damaged by inbreeding.

@FrayedBear I appreciate that. Thanks I prefer temperature between 75 to 85 degrees.

@Leutrelle Most people find humidity the greater problem. Dry heat is fairly manageable just with a fan or open car window. On a sunny day of 30°C (tad over 85°F) the closed car can rapidly get to 50°C(120°F) and more.

This is not my house! I repeat, this is not my house!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.