Agnostic.com

11 3

How challenging is it to be an atheist parent?

I'm single, never been married and never had children. One of the concerns I have about raising kids is how I'm going to do that in a very religious country? As a child, I've experienced the trauma of being a minority and being victimised but at least I fit as a Christian. As an adult its hard to be an open atheist and reason with religious radicals. Sometimes they make you fight fire with fire. I can't help but imagine how difficult it would be for child at certain ages being able to stand up and defend their intelligence without being victimised. How do parents teach their kids to stand up for themselves and confront teachers and other parents when they mistreat your kids? Actually is mistreatment something that happens at all or is my imagination running away with me?

bluefairy 6 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am an Atheist and have no children but if I did have kids I would want them to know the truth and be proud to be an Atheist.

My kids were raised in a distinctly mixed situation. My wife is a pastor. I come from a family which has lived for generations by the motto, "Thank god I'm an Athiest." My daughter is within 3-4 years of raising an Athiest daughter. My son is a childless athiest. For the most part I don't recall any problems raising mykids to be who they are.

karl Level 5 July 25, 2019

My late husband and I raised our 3 kids without religion, I grew up without it as well, but my husband was raised by religious parents, I guess he just let it go. We were married in his parents backyard, by a creek, by a Justice of the Peace, his parents never said a thing about it. The only issue any of my kids had was when my oldest was in Cub Scouts and he was supposed to do something good with the church. I told the leader that we were Atheists, and she said that he could do something else as long as it was humanitarian. Needless to say, he didn't stay in the scouts much longer.

I'm a single dad with two boys. I recently had to get onto my kids for telling the 10 year old neighbor that santa doesn't exist and reducing him to tears. It's difficult to keep a straight face when you're scolding kids for something that dumb to appease the offended kids' parent. I made it up to them with ice cream sandwiches and a good laugh explaining that sometimes you have to pretend that something is important when dealing with lunatics like that.

Omgosh hahaha!!!!!

@bluefairy Yeah it was pretty ridiculous.

@JohnnyMiller this is so hilarious I laughed again reading this!!

My daughter would appear to have the same reservations that I had at her age, namely 10. She knows I'm an atheist but was brought up a Catholic and all I say to her is you'll find your own way. I try to be even handed, explaining where certain religions are coming from and the difficulties I have with it, but hopefully I'll teach her how to think not what to think and that critical thinking will have her arrive at the same place I am only sooner. And if she did come home one day touting a crucifix I won't love her any less but I may draw the line at burning giant crosses in the back garden? 🙂

Well, when they get to be teenagers it is really hard not to just BBQ them and eat them!

Just kidding. Mostly.

We have had no real problems,but we do allow the kids to make their own choices about religion.

I considered eating mine, but they don't have any meat on their bones! I'm trying to fatten them up, though! 😉

I am an atheist, I raised 2 kids of my own and numerous foster kids, all atheists. Very few high school kids in my region have any religion.

On occasion over the years I have let my views on non belief be known to my 29 year old daughter but I never have asked her about her exact views on a God or her belief. I would not feel comfortable pushing her one way or the other. It is not really that important to me what she believes or does not believe

I just told my boys both sides and my feelings on religion but didn't tell them what to be. they both chose none belief but not because I made them.

My little sister started questiong Jesus and religion once she dedudcted that Santa Clause was fake. Just give kids honest facts and let them figure it out.

A very applicable and necessary question for our community and our time. (IMHO)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.