Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK What is to be Done? Looking Past Trump’s Tyranny

Books that help us understand...

Krish55 8 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no "looking past 45's tyranny".
He's a wannabe dictator. If we don't want to live under that kind of regime,
we must resist at every turn.

KKGator I hope you do not mind. My best answer was to re-post your answer.

What’s to be done? That’s an easy question—vote your conscience and support whomever is elected. Respect the choice of your fellow Americans. Good citizenship demands as much,

There is no "looking past 45's tyranny".
He's a wannabe dictator. If we don't want to live under that kind of regime,
we must resist at every turn.

What is truly disturbing to me are the number of parallels between Trump and Hitler's early days in coming to power.

I was drawing those comparisons before the election, and people kept telling me I was crazy, and being "overly-dramatic". I got called all sorts of things. I'm not a liberal or a democrat, and got called those things, too.

I'm a student of history. We HAVE seen this before. More than once.

@TheMiddleWay So I guess the xenophobia and encouraging violence against dissenters, and wanting military parades down the streets of the capital, and wanting to suppress the media, and supporting violent supremacists, and blocking polls are all copacetic for you and are signs of a healthy democracy. Right. Got it.

Sometimes there actually are parallels, and a comparison is merited. This is how tyrants rise up in a modern democracy - not some banana republic.

Jesus H Fucking Christ! I don't remember anyone else but Crump saying the media is the enemy of the people! Anyone who says that the media is the enemy of the people IS the enemy of the people!

@KKGator I tend to see these things as you do and I have a similar political history having never voted for party alone. Comparing Bush or Obama to Hitler is nothing that corrects our current situation so seeing it or discussing it now is useless. "Alternative facts" is simply another term for lies. You have facts an d you have non-facts.

@DenoPenno I cannot recall seeing any comparison of Bush or Obama to Hitler. I'm not saying there weren't any, but I didn't see them, and I'm a news junkie. I've been watching 45 for over 40 years and he's provided me with ample evidence of his intentions. Neither Bush nor Obama ever did the shit that this asshole is doing. He's just getting warmed up. He's going to get worse.

@KKGator I agree with you and some of these "comparisons" may have came later because media is always changing and sometimes after the fact. Religion was the first to start doing that. I'm also a news junkie and I'm constantly on computer looking at sources.

@TheMiddleWay And whomever think Godwin's law means no one can act like Hitler is naive and deluded.

Also, you say his behavior doesn't disturb you, so you must be okay with it. Maybe you did live under a dictator a little too long.

@TheMiddleWay There are only two possibilities with Trump. One either is okay with what he is doing, or one is disturbed by what he is doing. Name another possibility.

You say he doesn't disturb you, ergo you must be okay with him. It's simple syllogistic logic.

What's to be done? Have discussions about issues that are fact-based. No more "alternative facts."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:215754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.