Agnostic.com

15 0

Do you invest in Bitcoin?

Redcupcoffee 7 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a comprehensive financial planner, and while I fairly often help clients find alternative investments... I almost always recommend against Speculating in digital commodity and currency markets.
This is a greatly simplified explanation, with as little jargon as possible.
Speculating is not investing. It has a much higher rate if failure, and should only be taken on by people who can afford to lose everything. It takes hours of dedication everyday just to keep up on the market you are Speculating in. Only people who have professional level of knoweldge in a subject should speculate.

Block chain is a open-source tool used to build Trust-authentication platforms. It finds complexity in a similar way that you "found" prime numbers in school. But as you find all of the easy answers, it becomes increasing hard to find another Valid answer. This limits Inflationary expansion, which is one of the most valuable parts of Bitcoins, etc.
So block chain is a tool and technique used to create a platform like Bitcoin.

Ebay, Uber, Air BnB, etc.... these are all examples of trust platforms.
Credit card transaction, ACH banking systems, PayPal, etc... these are authentication ledger platforms.

Block chain is like an algorythm for breaking encryption.
It is verified by it's own structure... So it is easy to see if it has been tampered with.

Think of each block like a Soduku puzzle, it is either completely correct, or not. If any pieces of data is wrong, it throws off the whole thing... Thus, it has been tampered with.

So, the greatest power of block chain is it's ability to fundamentally change how much trust we can have in the information we receive. It will change almost every industry, just like the web has. It will be applied to houses, cars, contracts, etc. But it will take decades for us to find out all it can be applied to.

Eventually, it will probably be money. Money- backed by physical assets that are gauranteed commodities. That is used for making transactions on a regular basis. That is used as a short term store of wealth. And it will not be able to be inflated like most currencies are by central governments, to pay for their wars and pork barrel spending.

Right now... The low Volume of people who use it for transactions (Velocity), the Volitility of the current price (which is the speculative price), and the difficulty in pricing the underlying digital commodity (Valuation) (cost of computations by computers using electricity ,etc), and then cost incurred when converting from other assets... all make for something that looks a lot like money, but is missing the key pillars that make the best choice for everyday transactions.

This means that nearly all bitcoins are being held as a store of value and a commodity, like gold or oil.
It is partially being used as a hedge against inflation, but most of it's "valuation" is made of of the speculation of how high it could go (look up: bigger sucker theory.)

Hopefully, I have simplified it, somewhat.

No and I have no clue how to buy or sell non-existent "money" equally I have no clue how to communicate with non-extant alleged bible gawds

Bitcoin is only one of many cryto currencies. Crypto is the inevitable future due to the massive financial and time saving incentives. It is in the phase now as computers were in the '90's. Rocky and suspicious beginnings. Right now it's the Wild West though with ridiculous fees for every transaction and scammers clawing at newbies. I've learned most everything I know from youtubers. You can never be careful enough, but gains in life never come without risk. Learn, learn, learn and then invest with what you can afford to lose. Good luck.

NO, I don't speculate, but the reserve bank of Australia is considering crypto currency for the future, watch this space. (Yes, you will read they have gone cold on the idea, watch this space)

Nope, I don't trust it yet.

no, so why are all the guys that say they did doing commercials to get some money?

I would call it gambling...

I have about 80 bucks in it. Similar amounts in Ehtereum and Litecoin

@Redcupcoffee Im using coinbase as a wallet

@SherryMartin & @Redcupcoffee Coinbase is also what I use, although most of my money is currently in my Coinbase USD wallet. I sold most of my cryptocurrency (not all) because the value has dropped so much since the tail end of last year. Waiting it to stop dropping before I buy again.

@firecracker Im holding and pretty much breaking even but that is because my ETH is taking up the slack for BTC. I bought in around November

@SherryMartin Same here. I sold all of my BCH and LTC for now. November is about when I bought in. Looked good for awhile. I wish I'd bought in Jan. '17, but . . . .

@firecracker Wish I had bought in back 13 when I first read about it

No. Too abstract and dangerous.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

No. I don't understand it, and I won't invest in something I don't understand. I may be missing out on THE NEXT BIG THING, but I'm ok with that.

I only invest in what I know a lot about I like to buy a good dividend paying stock in hopes they will go up while I am holding the stock. I think that Bitcoins is like pyramid scheme, it sounds risky to me.

dc65 Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

No way, too risky for my taste.

Nope. I don't trust it. I've heard a lot about how secure it is and how it's a limited commodity so there's no devaluation — except nothing is 100% secure and there are other cryptocurrencies emerging frequently, so the idea that it's truly a limited commodity falls flat for me.

My personal opinion: It's a limited commodity, true, but it has no intrinsic value, and unlike governmental fiat currency (like dollars, which also have no intrinsic value) it lacks widespread use. Twice before bitcoin has dropped by about 90%; if it hits that point on this pull-back (dropping to about $2,000) I might think about putting a very small part of my portfolio into it.

I can't afford to invest in a penny jar !!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21577
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.