Agnostic.com

11 1

Have you ever met a religious person that calls themself a humanist?

I've never heard of a religious person calling themselves a humanist. Have you?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I should have, but no. They seem to reject the term "Humanist" as a they interpret it as a rejection of god.

Yes, there are religious people I have known, good people actually, who are really humanists, but they think that term means non religious, so they don't use it. They believe their religion means they are "good people" but at heart they believe in humanist ideas. They are confused, that's all.

Oh, okay.

I attend a Unitarian Universalist church here in Oregon, mostly for the community. I am atheist and our church is Freethinker-Friendly. We do welcome humanists, agnostics, and atheists. I am a member of our active Humanist group, but no one who attends identifies as christian.. It is always about the definitions, but I don't consider myself as a religious person. But probably have guilt by association.

Okay.

One of the prime values of religion is community. All these people flapping in the wind have no community and are just saying-look at me I am a atheist. They would be better off being a Unitarian where they can promote atheism. I am a UU also.

I went to a humanist meeting and the speaker was a Christian Humanist.

MikeJ Level 5 Feb 6, 2018

Really?

@Sarahroo29. He got all defensive when he talked about his religion. I live in a very religious area. I was glad to see him.

Sure. Many UUs consider themselves humanists. So do some progressive Christians. It IS possible to be both. You just have to care about people.

Oh, okay.

Every damn religious claims anf strongly believe they are next to God and in some cases better than God.. ???? ???? ????

Humanism is an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems. I don't find any religion there.

I had just never heard a Xian say they're a humanist before.

Yeah, that's what I considered myself until I ditched organized religion, deciding it was all bunk.

Good.

I have never met one but a religious person certainly can be a humanist. (IMHO)

Okay, cool.

Yes. I have several friends who consider themselves Christian Humanists. In fact early European Humanism saw no great divide between human dignity and agency and Christianity.

Awesome.

Humanism is an approach to life based on reason and our common humanity, recognising that moral values are properly founded on human nature and experience alone. While atheism is merely the absence of belief, humanism is a positive attitude to the world, centred on human experience, thought, and hopes.Oct 27, 2009
BBC - Religions - Atheism: Humanism
www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/atheism/types/humanism.shtml

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21669
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.